Protect yourself online
richndavid's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 8:19 PM

Inbox Emails Deleted After Two Weeks

I was wondering if anyone else has the problem we are having of our inbox emails being automatically deleted after about two weeks. It started about two or so months ago, not sure just when it started, but we can not seem to find a way to stop it happening other than transferring the emails to another folder. Emails in other folders are not affected, only emails in the Inbox. Any suggestions as to how to stop the emails being automatically deleted.

The deleted emails are in the Trash folder after being deleted.

The only thing that happened about the same time the inbox emails started being deleted was that a new computer was added to our network (there are two computers on our network) and a copy of the Inbox emails are sent to the Outlook folder on the new computer. This is done at least daily. 

Would appreciate any help and suggestions. Thanks.

Former Community Manager

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

@richndavid wrote:

I was wondering if anyone else has the problem we are having of our inbox emails being automatically deleted after about two weeks. It started about two or so months ago, not sure just when it started, but we can not seem to find a way to stop it happening other than transferring the emails to another folder. Emails in other folders are not affected, only emails in the Inbox. Any suggestions as to how to stop the emails being automatically deleted.

The deleted emails are in the Trash folder after being deleted.

The only thing that happened about the same time the inbox emails started being deleted was that a new computer was added to our network (there are two computers on our network) and a copy of the Inbox emails are sent to the Outlook folder on the new computer. This is done at least daily. 

Would appreciate any help and suggestions. Thanks.

Welcome richndavid.  Since there are several computers checking for email, the following solution should help..

Keep a copy of my email messages on the server

You also want to make sure that each email client on the new computers is set to leave a copy of the message on the server too.

Regards,

Alex

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Thank you for responding to my post.

I have checked and double checked for the box that is noted in the link and could not find it. It was the first thing I had looked for when the problem was noticed and I could not find it then either. What appears on our email page is Options and it gives a variety of options but a box for not deleting the emails isn't one of them.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Richard {personal content removed for safety}

Former Community Manager

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

@richndavid wrote:

Thank you for responding to my post.

I have checked and double checked for the box that is noted in the link and could not find it. It was the first thing I had looked for when the problem was noticed and I could not find it then either. What appears on our email page is Options and it gives a variety of options but a box for not deleting the emails isn't one of them.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Richard {personal content removed for safety}

Glad to help Richard and thank you for the update.  The steps provided are to help with updating the settings of any email client you may have configured to check for AT&T email.  Since this is account specific, please send me a Private Message  with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you.  We'll get you in touch with the group that can look into it.

*To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

Regards,

Alex

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

12 years ago

Get off the phone Alex,or thats would have been what I would have been told(LOUDLY),email clients are OOS.BUT if they are why is there a Solution Sender Article concerning them?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I'm having the exact same issue as richndavid. I don't see any check boxes to keep emails in my inbox through the options page.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hi

It turned out in my case that it was Outlook that caused the problem. I had just installed Outlook 2013 on the computer and did not realize that the default was set to remove emails from server after 14 days and so that is why the emails were being deleted after two weeks.

It was simple to correct this. Open Account Settings under File Tab.. Double click the account and click on the More Settings button. Click on the Advanced Tab. There should be a field Leave Copy Of Message On Server. Check the box. If you have more than one acct and you do not see this box on the first acct then try the other(s) acct.

I was wondering why my AIM mail was being deleted and after finding out about Outlook I checked my settings there as I was having all of my AIM mail forwarded to my Gmail acct. I found the exact situation and when it was corrected the mail was no longer deleted.

Hope this helps

Rich 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I'm using the AT&T email account on my Mac, not Outlook.  It doesn't give me any option to prevent emails from deleting automatically under mail options.  I did change the mark as read setting to never, and that seemed to keep the email in my inbox a little longer, but eventually deleted on its own.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I too have a problem trying to change the settings on my email account to keep messages on the server longer than a week or so.  Where is this????

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.