For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
Lingh4's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, July 23rd, 2016 3:05 PM

IMAP Settings Not Working

Hello!

I'm trying to set up IMAP with Outlook 2016 using a bellsouth domain name. So far, I've checked the settings 2-3 times, used alternate settings based on both AT&T's own help documents (yes. I'm already well aware of articles KM1049565 and KM1010523). However, when I enter the settings correctly, all Outlook does is continously ask me what my password is, even though I'm sure it's correct (it works for webmail).

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

8 years ago

Hello @Lingh4,

Have you enabled this in your webmail? Go to webmail>options>Pop & Forwarding?

-ATTDSLCare

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

I have POP OR Forwarding, not POP and Forwarding at the same time. POP is currently enabled, and Forwarding doesn't appear to be what I want (it just redirects e-mails elsewhere).

For reference, this isn't the first time I've attempted setting this up in Outlook: I tried in mid-late 2015 to set this up on a Outlook 2013 laptop with the same issue, though all of the iOS devices connected in the same time period experienced no mail issues (and two of those are still recieving e-mails).

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

8 years ago

Well if you have followed all of the directions and changed everything according to KM1049565 and KM1010523. And can double check that your server settings are; imap.mail.att.net port 993 for incoming, then smtp.mail.att.net  port 465 or 587, with SSL being checked as its required then you should be golden to use your full email address as the username and then your personal password.

If all of that is good, then I have to ask, do you have a 3rd party firewall, anti-virus, anti-malware? sometimes they like to block ports, or a 3rd party router with built in firewall which might require you to open up these particular ports. So i would try disabling any of that protection for like 5-10 minutes and try to test your settings in outlook again to see if you can get through.

-ATTDSLCare

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Well, disabled Norton completely temporarily, and no different results. I did find an image of the screen I'm getting when I use the correct settings (if the SMTP or IMAP server settings aren't correct, I don't get this, so I assume this has nothing to do with the credentials being entered incorrectly).

Similar popup after attempting to test settings

It's pre-filled in with my username & password from the setup screen, plus the IMAP or SMTP server. Clicking OK simply re-opens the dialog, and the Cancel button returns you to the setup screen (or if that was the IMAP server, the SMTP version comes immediately after). Again, I didn't take that image, but that's the exact dialog I get.

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

8 years ago

I think it sounds like you might need to edit your accounts so that you can verify the settings. The Setup & Verify Email link should be able to give you the settings you need, as well as the proper steps. You could also try the Let us help set up your email client link, and it has an automated program that will set it up for you. But there is definitely something set wrong.

-ATTDSLCare

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

On the bright side, the automated program you linked put in IMAP and SMTP settings as I already had them, and Outlook cleared the first time setup phase. Unfortunately, I'm still getting an identical error (and still no mail), and Outlook still can't clear the testing account settings page.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

Okay.. just for my own information, are you trying to access a Yahoo accouny, or an ATT account on yahoo?

I ask only because the link in the message showed a pure Yahoo e-mail address, and not one used by ATT.

This link has all the att domain mail settings.. hope it is what you need. Good luck.

Oh, and it has BOTH pop3 and imap settings.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/dsl-high-speed/KM1010523

Also, the login name needs to be in the form: myname@domainname.net

And I know, obvious, but remember that passwords are case sensitive.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

It's a bellsouth e-mail address owned by AT&T, however you wish to interpret that. That image you're referring to was taken from Google. And yes, I already used those settings you just linked me (I did mention in the first post that I already read that).

Also, for reference on the last message, I already used the setup tool and am getting the same issue. I'm 100% sure it has nothing to do with entering in settings incorrectly at this point.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Anyone?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

I don't exactly enjoy necroing threads, but I also don't enjoy companies that ditch a support case simply because they've run out of FAQs to throw at me. That's not a great business practice. Can we get this resolved or escalated?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.