Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted May 4, 2014
8:00:16 AM
View profile
I don't like the new ATT.net email format. How do I go back to the old one (Classic)?
Accepted Solution

I don't like the new ATT.net email format. How do I go back to the old one (Classic)?

259 replies
(24) Me too
(24) Me too
View all replies
(259)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2014 11:24:51 AM
(0)
Scholar
All your questions have been answered numerous times in various threads here.
All your questions have been answered numerous times in various threads here.

Re: I don't like the new ATT.net email format.

211 of 260 (2,079 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2014 2:34:01 PM
(0)
Curator

K9jdk:

I don't care if they have been answered numerous times.  I don't want to spend hours going through pages and pages of posts to find answers.  Plus I posted this to let ATT know that they have another unhappy customer.

K9jdk:

I don't care if they have been answered numerous times.  I don't want to spend hours going through pages and pages of posts to find answers.  Plus I posted this to let ATT know that they have another unhappy customer.

Re: I don't like the new ATT.net email format.

212 of 260 (2,046 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2014 9:03:10 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks for mentioning that there is an option with Google Chrome. I located AdBlock and now no more ads! Very much appreciate the heads up!

Thanks for mentioning that there is an option with Google Chrome. I located AdBlock and now no more ads! Very much appreciate the heads up!

Re: I would like to switch back to mail classic-don't like the new mail

213 of 260 (2,017 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2014 8:04:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

THIS FIX REALLY WORKS!!  (1)  Access Mail, click on the wheel in upper right beside profile (2)  Select "Settings", (3)  UNCHECK "Enable Conversations" option at the very top.  This puts everything back in logical and usable mode!, except for the Send and format toolbar still at the bottom.  After finding this on Yahoo's mail forum, buried in a single Yahoo mail tech support response to tens of thousands such posts, I applied this fix myself and it literally took 5 seconds.   I do wish there was a way of these forum feedbacks reaching  ATT executives, as judging from the Yahoo forums, this upgrade issue is affecting image and bottom line.

THIS FIX REALLY WORKS!!  (1)  Access Mail, click on the wheel in upper right beside profile (2)  Select "Settings", (3)  UNCHECK "Enable Conversations" option at the very top.  This puts everything back in logical and usable mode!, except for the Send and format toolbar still at the bottom.  After finding this on Yahoo's mail forum, buried in a single Yahoo mail tech support response to tens of thousands such posts, I applied this fix myself and it literally took 5 seconds.   I do wish there was a way of these forum feedbacks reaching  ATT executives, as judging from the Yahoo forums, this upgrade issue is affecting image and bottom line.

5sec DYI FIX to restore previous Yahoo Mail format

214 of 260 (2,007 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2014 4:09:36 AM
(0)
Teacher
Offset the costs of doing business? No. Customers of AT&T already pay that every month when they pay their bill.

As for getting use to it, while I have been a supporter of AT&T services many years but now I am getting use to telling friends and family about the emails "features" and loss of service I've endured. Get used to that.

And don't claim this is technology and moving forward. This is bad product by IT developers and bad business by AT&T.
Offset the costs of doing business? No. Customers of AT&T already pay that every month when they pay their bill.

As for getting use to it, while I have been a supporter of AT&T services many years but now I am getting use to telling friends and family about the emails "features" and loss of service I've endured. Get used to that.

And don't claim this is technology and moving forward. This is bad product by IT developers and bad business by AT&T.

Re: New Email Format

215 of 260 (1,983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2014 4:12:57 AM
(0)
Teacher

Contrary to what the current crop of developers and managers would have us believe, it is possible to add new features and maintain the friendliness and very often the functionality of old versions of applications.

And that says what about current developers and managers? Think real hard.

Contrary to what the current crop of developers and managers would have us believe, it is possible to add new features and maintain the friendliness and very often the functionality of old versions of applications.

And that says what about current developers and managers? Think real hard.

216 of 260 (1,987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2014 4:26:02 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by laser2sail on Jun 21, 2014 at 5:14:42 AM

It's not the look, it's the changes in function.

I understand AT&T is using a free email but because we are paying customers, AT&T should have a way to make those ads disappear. I can manage that on my PC, I can't make the tweak for everyone I know because they don't ask me to, they simply get angry at AT&T.

The conversation format of emails. Obviously, I figured out that one and am likewise willing to share with friends and family ... but the one who might come to me aren't aware the format is maintainable.

Screen refreshes, the composition would jump around in the box and mess my trainn of thought. I haven't seen this happen in awhile.

Backspace does not function consistantly when using IE. It's endurable when Backspace inserts three lines instead but when it deletes an entire paragraph ... that's not good.

Saving a draft. There needs to be a force save. I am tired of opening a second tab so I can verify whether auto save is up to date. This is the most critical for me. Any hints?

*** Found the answer to this, close the composition window and there will be a prompt whether to save.  Intuitive? Not when one has lost trust in the application. ***

It's not the look, it's the changes in function.

I understand AT&T is using a free email but because we are paying customers, AT&T should have a way to make those ads disappear. I can manage that on my PC, I can't make the tweak for everyone I know because they don't ask me to, they simply get angry at AT&T.

The conversation format of emails. Obviously, I figured out that one and am likewise willing to share with friends and family ... but the one who might come to me aren't aware the format is maintainable.

Screen refreshes, the composition would jump around in the box and mess my trainn of thought. I haven't seen this happen in awhile.

Backspace does not function consistantly when using IE. It's endurable when Backspace inserts three lines instead but when it deletes an entire paragraph ... that's not good.

Saving a draft. There needs to be a force save. I am tired of opening a second tab so I can verify whether auto save is up to date. This is the most critical for me. Any hints?

*** Found the answer to this, close the composition window and there will be a prompt whether to save.  Intuitive? Not when one has lost trust in the application. ***

[ Edited ]
217 of 260 (1,985 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2014 4:47:52 AM
(0)
Teacher

I had something similar, I stopped using "stay signed on for 2 weeks." As long as I don't close the browser I stay signed on. Not as convenient but (rationalizing) better practice regarding security.

I had something similar, I stopped using "stay signed on for 2 weeks." As long as I don't close the browser I stay signed on. Not as convenient but (rationalizing) better practice regarding security.

Re: I don't like the new ATT.net email format. How do I go back to the old one (Classic)?

218 of 260 (1,986 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2014 6:07:28 AM
(0)
Teacher
I was just about to complain about how the subject line reads "Me, me". Stupid feature. Thanks!
I was just about to complain about how the subject line reads "Me, me". Stupid feature. Thanks!

Re: 5sec DYI FIX to restore previous Yahoo Mail format

219 of 260 (1,970 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2014 6:25:23 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have a new anoyance that is getting unberable.

You know the litle box in the left bottom corner that is used to change thems, it activates and colaples the window when you hover over it.

For me it seems to collaple or shrink the window almost every time I go over the page so it alsmost constantly shrinking mail into the middle and giving me theme options.

Often it will not return back to normal so I have to refresh the page.

Anybody know how to completely dissable the theme change option or at least dissable the hover settings, maybe some script?

I have a new anoyance that is getting unberable.

You know the litle box in the left bottom corner that is used to change thems, it activates and colaples the window when you hover over it.

For me it seems to collaple or shrink the window almost every time I go over the page so it alsmost constantly shrinking mail into the middle and giving me theme options.

Often it will not return back to normal so I have to refresh the page.

Anybody know how to completely dissable the theme change option or at least dissable the hover settings, maybe some script?

Re: I don't like the new ATT.net email format. How do I go back to the old one (Classic)?

220 of 260 (1,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2014 3:56:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
How will AT&T offset costs of doing business after losing customers AND INVESTORS because of this fiasco? Bad advertisement /image/P.R. for AT&T since they chose Yahoo and thus got us into this mess. Also remember that our e-mail contacts see ATT.NET and thus credit AT&T as the source of any fouled up e-mails or complaints. Meanwhile, as AT&T drops existing and potential customers, Yahoo is laughing all the way to the bank. As to your AOL comments, I assume it was similarly run to ground and by the way, whoever hears or sees "AOL" anymore?
How will AT&T offset costs of doing business after losing customers AND INVESTORS because of this fiasco? Bad advertisement /image/P.R. for AT&T since they chose Yahoo and thus got us into this mess. Also remember that our e-mail contacts see ATT.NET and thus credit AT&T as the source of any fouled up e-mails or complaints. Meanwhile, as AT&T drops existing and potential customers, Yahoo is laughing all the way to the bank. As to your AOL comments, I assume it was similarly run to ground and by the way, whoever hears or sees "AOL" anymore?

221 of 260 (1,914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2014 9:38:36 AM
(0)
Voyager

How insulting.  Sending a tutorial on how to use the new email is not answering the question.

How insulting.  Sending a tutorial on how to use the new email is not answering the question.

222 of 260 (1,891 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2014 9:39:55 AM
(0)
Voyager

Please do not compare this "AT&T" with the old Ma Bell. I worked for the old Ma Bell, and it was a company dedicated to excellence and customer service, unlike this new company. 

Please do not compare this "AT&T" with the old Ma Bell. I worked for the old Ma Bell, and it was a company dedicated to excellence and customer service, unlike this new company. 

Re: New Email/Yahoo System

223 of 260 (1,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2014 9:45:23 AM
(0)
Voyager

Now, this was helpful.  Thanks!  

Now, this was helpful.  Thanks!  

224 of 260 (1,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2014 12:40:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

rcontrer wrote:

I worked for the old Ma Bell, and it was a company dedicated to excellence and customer service, unlike this new company. 

Basically, the "new" AT&T wanted to take advantage of the reputation of the old phone company without doing anything to uphold quality and service.   The U-Verse reps know nothing about their own products and just read boilerplate answers to you.   They farmed out responsibility for actual internet services and aren't interested in the dissatisfaction of their own customers. 

rcontrer wrote:

I worked for the old Ma Bell, and it was a company dedicated to excellence and customer service, unlike this new company. 

Basically, the "new" AT&T wanted to take advantage of the reputation of the old phone company without doing anything to uphold quality and service.   The U-Verse reps know nothing about their own products and just read boilerplate answers to you.   They farmed out responsibility for actual internet services and aren't interested in the dissatisfaction of their own customers. 

Re: New Email/Yahoo System

225 of 260 (1,881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2014 9:32:40 PM
(0)
Voyager

I could go along with your explaination if I were using a free email service, but that is not the case. The ads that are plastered all over my PAID email are most certainly not part of the costs of doing business. The cost of doing business is offset by the ridiculously large amount of money I have to send AT&T every month. Not only are they annoying and intrusive, they eat up bandwidth. Every single month I keep getting hit with "overage" fees. If AT&T would quit plastering ads all over every page, I would probably stay well under the data cap. My latest bill has a $40 charge for additional data, that's on top of the $56 for DSL. If AT&T wants to plaster ads all over my PAID email, I should get an offset on my bill each month. 

I could go along with your explaination if I were using a free email service, but that is not the case. The ads that are plastered all over my PAID email are most certainly not part of the costs of doing business. The cost of doing business is offset by the ridiculously large amount of money I have to send AT&T every month. Not only are they annoying and intrusive, they eat up bandwidth. Every single month I keep getting hit with "overage" fees. If AT&T would quit plastering ads all over every page, I would probably stay well under the data cap. My latest bill has a $40 charge for additional data, that's on top of the $56 for DSL. If AT&T wants to plaster ads all over my PAID email, I should get an offset on my bill each month. 

226 of 260 (1,857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2014 11:23:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

Why roll out a new version of mail when it doesn't ever work and keep suggesting one go back to "Basic"? Begs an explanation

Why roll out a new version of mail when it doesn't ever work and keep suggesting one go back to "Basic"? Begs an explanation

ATTYahooMail's new version is a disaster!

227 of 260 (1,862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2014 7:21:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

I heard if you switch back to "classic email" you can have some features back but i'm yet to figure out how to switch back to classic.

I heard if you switch back to "classic email" you can have some features back but i'm yet to figure out how to switch back to classic.

228 of 260 (1,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2014 9:31:41 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello @Harco 

There is no "Classic" view option, but what many users were referring to is the "Basic" email option, you can switch to Basic email in your Settings (Gear icon in the upper right corner).

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello @Harco 

There is no "Classic" view option, but what many users were referring to is the "Basic" email option, you can switch to Basic email in your Settings (Gear icon in the upper right corner).

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

229 of 260 (1,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2014 12:02:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

I meant basic view.  I tried it and it worked. Thank you.

I also read somewhere that using something other than internet explorer helps too and I used Firefox 30 and that worked as well.

Is there a way to filter email in my inbox?

for instance grouping all the emails by sender or by subject?

I miss that option.

I meant basic view.  I tried it and it worked. Thank you.

I also read somewhere that using something other than internet explorer helps too and I used Firefox 30 and that worked as well.

Is there a way to filter email in my inbox?

for instance grouping all the emails by sender or by subject?

I miss that option.

230 of 260 (1,768 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2014 6:07:57 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by awfullyannoyed on Jul 30, 2014 at 6:36:37 AM

ed: this Is a reply to another poster, srhaberman  May 31, 2014

ditto being with ATT for +15 yrs.

ditto this posters comments, especialy the part about formatting and the Send button.

Scrolling down several messages to Send a Reply to an email conversation of +2 messages is a waste of time that mounts up considerably!

THIS SHOULD BE AN EASY MODIFICATION!  DO IT!

ADD ANOTHER: THE SEARCH USED TO RETRIEVE WITH A FILTER TO FOLDERS AND DATES FOR THE INITIAL SEARCH CRITERIA. THAT IS GONE. ANOTHER BLOODY WASTE OF TIME!

ed: this Is a reply to another poster, srhaberman  May 31, 2014

ditto being with ATT for +15 yrs.

ditto this posters comments, especialy the part about formatting and the Send button.

Scrolling down several messages to Send a Reply to an email conversation of +2 messages is a waste of time that mounts up considerably!

THIS SHOULD BE AN EASY MODIFICATION!  DO IT!

ADD ANOTHER: THE SEARCH USED TO RETRIEVE WITH A FILTER TO FOLDERS AND DATES FOR THE INITIAL SEARCH CRITERIA. THAT IS GONE. ANOTHER BLOODY WASTE OF TIME!

[ Edited ]
231 of 260 (1,686 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2014 8:30:19 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you Maria for the link but it's clear from all the prior conversations that AT&T/Yahoo email customers are NOT HAPPY with the email format, me included. It's more work than it's worth and is hard to navigate. I'm not going to rattle off all of the issues, since customers have expressed them already. The sad thing is that AT&T/Yahoo are not listening to customer feedback. Thus they don't care. Someone had too much time on their hands in redesigning it. The old version worked just fine. I now spend minutes up on minutes trying to find older emails, and when my in-box says I have new emails they are not there - taked forever for them to pop up.

Sadly I will have to move on to gmail or elsewhere, and sadly it's a real pain to change email accounts.

WHY ARE THESE COMPANIES IISTENING TO US?

Thank you Maria for the link but it's clear from all the prior conversations that AT&T/Yahoo email customers are NOT HAPPY with the email format, me included. It's more work than it's worth and is hard to navigate. I'm not going to rattle off all of the issues, since customers have expressed them already. The sad thing is that AT&T/Yahoo are not listening to customer feedback. Thus they don't care. Someone had too much time on their hands in redesigning it. The old version worked just fine. I now spend minutes up on minutes trying to find older emails, and when my in-box says I have new emails they are not there - taked forever for them to pop up.

Sadly I will have to move on to gmail or elsewhere, and sadly it's a real pain to change email accounts.

WHY ARE THESE COMPANIES IISTENING TO US?

232 of 260 (1,674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2014 8:34:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

Meant to ask "Why aren't these companies listening to their customers?"

Meant to ask "Why aren't these companies listening to their customers?"

233 of 260 (1,671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2014 9:11:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

I advised previously how to change to basic view [upper right hand corner click on gear icon].

You can even filter with buttons directly above the email messages which I find almost a necessity. 

The only thing I don't see [if it's there] is; how to change font, size, color, etc. I see no italic, bold or underline.

I advised previously how to change to basic view [upper right hand corner click on gear icon].

You can even filter with buttons directly above the email messages which I find almost a necessity. 

The only thing I don't see [if it's there] is; how to change font, size, color, etc. I see no italic, bold or underline.

234 of 260 (1,666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2014 1:07:35 PM
(0)
Teacher

I just discovered a new major problem.

I noticed that for the past few weeks I have been getting far less emails than usual. I did not think much of it.

Today, I checked my spam folder and I found hundreds of emails that I should have recived.

All of a sudden most of my mail started going to spam, and from many different sources.

I selected all of them eventually and selected not spam.

And now they all show up at the top of my messages so I have no idea when those messages where actually recived. Some were from 2 weeks ago, and some from today I don't know which.

Before not-spam emails would go to their proper date recived locations, now everything is in front so I have hunderds of emails were they don't belong, and I have hard time finidng true recent emails.

I just discovered a new major problem.

I noticed that for the past few weeks I have been getting far less emails than usual. I did not think much of it.

Today, I checked my spam folder and I found hundreds of emails that I should have recived.

All of a sudden most of my mail started going to spam, and from many different sources.

I selected all of them eventually and selected not spam.

And now they all show up at the top of my messages so I have no idea when those messages where actually recived. Some were from 2 weeks ago, and some from today I don't know which.

Before not-spam emails would go to their proper date recived locations, now everything is in front so I have hunderds of emails were they don't belong, and I have hard time finidng true recent emails.

235 of 260 (1,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2014 10:19:56 PM
(0)
Visitor

My hatred and frustration of this service is unbounded.  EVERYTHING they do to "improve" just makes it worse.  It's unbelievable.  What has me going now is suddenly the tiny message screen just got tinier with some new thing at the bottom showing an envelope.  Between it and the freaking ads on the right I'm lucky if I can view 8 or 9 messages when I log on.  I'm gearing up to switch to another service when I can wrap my head around getting a new email address.  This is the only reason I'm still with them. 

My hatred and frustration of this service is unbounded.  EVERYTHING they do to "improve" just makes it worse.  It's unbelievable.  What has me going now is suddenly the tiny message screen just got tinier with some new thing at the bottom showing an envelope.  Between it and the freaking ads on the right I'm lucky if I can view 8 or 9 messages when I log on.  I'm gearing up to switch to another service when I can wrap my head around getting a new email address.  This is the only reason I'm still with them. 

Yahoo Mail

236 of 260 (1,674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2014 10:34:34 AM
(0)
Contributor

Change is welcomed when it is beneficial and makes my life more efficient but change for the sake of change is disasterous as we see now with the new Yahoo e-mail format!  I strongly urge you to cut out the threading format as it confuses me as to what I am forwarding on. I want to make the decisions on my site about what I keep or link or discard!

Change is welcomed when it is beneficial and makes my life more efficient but change for the sake of change is disasterous as we see now with the new Yahoo e-mail format!  I strongly urge you to cut out the threading format as it confuses me as to what I am forwarding on. I want to make the decisions on my site about what I keep or link or discard!

237 of 260 (1,601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2014 10:21:44 AM
(0)
Contributor

After a recent email update I found that much of the contact information I had stored had been deleted unless it included an email address. I had alot of addresses and phone numbers along with information on birthdays and annivesaries that is all now gone. There was no warning that this would happen with an update. I am very upset about all the time wasted entering that information. Is that information stored hidden somewhere on the internet?

After a recent email update I found that much of the contact information I had stored had been deleted unless it included an email address. I had alot of addresses and phone numbers along with information on birthdays and annivesaries that is all now gone. There was no warning that this would happen with an update. I am very upset about all the time wasted entering that information. Is that information stored hidden somewhere on the internet?

Contact info deleted with email update and no warning.

238 of 260 (1,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2014 3:06:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

The new e-mail format SUCKS.

The new e-mail format SUCKS.

new e-mail format

239 of 260 (1,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2014 9:21:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

I despise the new e-mail format.  I think I am going to activate Outlook and dump Yahoo.  I hate not being able to sort by sender - that is something I used a lot to find e-mails and to quickly delete a sender's e-mails.  I don't like the conversation approach as Yahoo is using it, and have trouble locating my original e-mail in a conversation.  It also looks to me like forwarding a conversation also includes the e-mail addresses of folks in the conversation.  I do not want to forward anyones e-mail address, just like I would wish that they didn't forward mine.

I despise the new e-mail format.  I think I am going to activate Outlook and dump Yahoo.  I hate not being able to sort by sender - that is something I used a lot to find e-mails and to quickly delete a sender's e-mails.  I don't like the conversation approach as Yahoo is using it, and have trouble locating my original e-mail in a conversation.  It also looks to me like forwarding a conversation also includes the e-mail addresses of folks in the conversation.  I do not want to forward anyones e-mail address, just like I would wish that they didn't forward mine.

Re: new e-mail format

240 of 260 (1,542 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments