Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted May 4, 2014
8:00:16 AM
View profile
I don't like the new ATT.net email format. How do I go back to the old one (Classic)?
Accepted Solution

I don't like the new ATT.net email format. How do I go back to the old one (Classic)?

259 replies
(24) Me too
(24) Me too
View all replies
(259)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 7:58:35 AM
(0)
Mentor

I am not sure about anybody else on the forum, but everyone here where I work cannot stand the new email format! We now have sponsored ads at the top of the email, giant ads on the sides, the email frame doesn't expand to fit the whole browser window, the email tabs are no longer prominently visible when enabled, and they moved everything (attachments, send button, font changes, etc) to the bottom of the compose email screen.

The "basic" version is nothing comparable to the old format, just a dumbed down version of this new "full featured" format.  I wish AT&T and/or Yahoo would stop changing everything! A lot of people who work here are older and have trouble adjusting to these changes; therefore I have to re-train them and try to get their emails as close to the old format as possible.

I am not sure about anybody else on the forum, but everyone here where I work cannot stand the new email format! We now have sponsored ads at the top of the email, giant ads on the sides, the email frame doesn't expand to fit the whole browser window, the email tabs are no longer prominently visible when enabled, and they moved everything (attachments, send button, font changes, etc) to the bottom of the compose email screen.

The "basic" version is nothing comparable to the old format, just a dumbed down version of this new "full featured" format.  I wish AT&T and/or Yahoo would stop changing everything! A lot of people who work here are older and have trouble adjusting to these changes; therefore I have to re-train them and try to get their emails as close to the old format as possible.

New Email Format

1 of 260 (24,429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 8:34:39 AM
(0)
Employee

Change in something is always difficult but we all overcome and get use to it. Just ask anyone who had the old AOL program and when they updated it and changed everything around people went Crazy.

Although im not a fan of Ads that constantly change or refresh taking up a little more bandwidth than i would like, these adds are necessary to offset the costs of doing business. 

Change in something is always difficult but we all overcome and get use to it. Just ask anyone who had the old AOL program and when they updated it and changed everything around people went Crazy.

Although im not a fan of Ads that constantly change or refresh taking up a little more bandwidth than i would like, these adds are necessary to offset the costs of doing business. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: New Email Format

2 of 260 (24,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 8:50:09 AM
(0)
Mentor

Why the empty platitudes? Why not just tell us to shut up and get over it? That's what your little AOL example means.

The interface change sucks, and you know it. We can voice our displeasure by moving on to another way of checking mail (e.g., Thunderbird), and/or changing ISPs.

Why the empty platitudes? Why not just tell us to shut up and get over it? That's what your little AOL example means.

The interface change sucks, and you know it. We can voice our displeasure by moving on to another way of checking mail (e.g., Thunderbird), and/or changing ISPs.

3 of 260 (24,399 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 8:53:15 AM
(1)
Scholar
I like the new format. Of course, YMMV.
I like the new format. Of course, YMMV.

4 of 260 (24,400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 8:53:24 AM
(0)
Employee

i was one of those AOL people that could not figure it out for awhile, my point is nothing is the same as it use to be but we adapt, i doubt anything you login to is anything near the same as it was 5 years ago, and im guessing many you didnt like.

i was one of those AOL people that could not figure it out for awhile, my point is nothing is the same as it use to be but we adapt, i doubt anything you login to is anything near the same as it was 5 years ago, and im guessing many you didnt like.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 260 (24,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 9:22:05 AM
(0)
Scholar
Interesting that I just started email again and now I see the old format.
Interesting that I just started email again and now I see the old format.

6 of 260 (24,381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 9:30:25 AM
(0)
Employee

Ok so i went to my yahoo email and clicked on my account and what do ya know theres an option to remove any feeds or tabs you want from your yahoo page.

Ok so i went to my yahoo email and clicked on my account and what do ya know theres an option to remove any feeds or tabs you want from your yahoo page.

7 of 260 (24,377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 11:27:38 AM
(0)
Teacher

We lost so much productive time this AM when the ridiculous new format just appeared. It is not workable on any level and I will change to Thunderbird or something else if it re-appears. Thank heavens the regular e-mail returned this afternoon so we can get some work done here in our offices. What an abomination.

We lost so much productive time this AM when the ridiculous new format just appeared. It is not workable on any level and I will change to Thunderbird or something else if it re-appears. Thank heavens the regular e-mail returned this afternoon so we can get some work done here in our offices. What an abomination.

8 of 260 (24,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 12:01:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

kalin88 wrote:

No offense, but in a few minutes "I got it" with the new format.  And while it had a new look, I didn't see anything missing, just things in different positions and format.

And of course, YMMV

kalin88 wrote:

No offense, but in a few minutes "I got it" with the new format.  And while it had a new look, I didn't see anything missing, just things in different positions and format.

And of course, YMMV

9 of 260 (24,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 7:50:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

I don't mind the ads on the sides, I can ignore those if I wish, but the sponsored email at the top bothers me.  I got into the habit of clicking on the top email automatically to read the latest email first, and now it is an ad.  Grrr.  And there seems to be no way to write to att directly about this.  Double grrr.

I don't mind the ads on the sides, I can ignore those if I wish, but the sponsored email at the top bothers me.  I got into the habit of clicking on the top email automatically to read the latest email first, and now it is an ad.  Grrr.  And there seems to be no way to write to att directly about this.  Double grrr.

10 of 260 (24,177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2014 9:01:35 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have a simple question. Does anybody have a simple answer? I used to be able to SORT my EMAIL by SENDER. The new AT&T email does not appear to let me do that. How can I sort my email by SENDER?

I have a simple question. Does anybody have a simple answer? I used to be able to SORT my EMAIL by SENDER. The new AT&T email does not appear to let me do that. How can I sort my email by SENDER?

11 of 260 (24,144 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2014 10:58:04 AM
(0)
Teacher

I agree, I can no longer sort email by sender and that is a very important feature to me. Please put this feature back in. I'm not a fan at all of the newly reworked format, especially the adds at the top of the inbox, and the use of "Me" instead of my name, but could deal with that if the "sort by sender" feature is returned.

I agree, I can no longer sort email by sender and that is a very important feature to me. Please put this feature back in. I'm not a fan at all of the newly reworked format, especially the adds at the top of the inbox, and the use of "Me" instead of my name, but could deal with that if the "sort by sender" feature is returned.

12 of 260 (24,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2014 1:32:33 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by darogo on May 2, 2014 at 1:33:38 PM

I don't love the new format, though I'm getting used to it.  I tried to delete a single e-mail in a thread and it deleted the entire thread.  Then I realized there's a "more" button and that's how you delete a single message.  Not super intuitive.  Fonts came in too small, yatta yatta yatta....

I agree there should be way more space for your e-mails and less space for ads, but let's face it, there are investors to make happy and that's all they really care about.

If you don't like ads, download the Ad-Block Plus Add-on for practically every browser out there.  I haven't seen an ad in years....

I don't love the new format, though I'm getting used to it.  I tried to delete a single e-mail in a thread and it deleted the entire thread.  Then I realized there's a "more" button and that's how you delete a single message.  Not super intuitive.  Fonts came in too small, yatta yatta yatta....

I agree there should be way more space for your e-mails and less space for ads, but let's face it, there are investors to make happy and that's all they really care about.

If you don't like ads, download the Ad-Block Plus Add-on for practically every browser out there.  I haven't seen an ad in years....

[ Edited ]
13 of 260 (24,115 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2014 1:37:29 PM
(0)
Scholar

Sounds like some have the new web mail while others do not.  I guess ATT is rolling this out gradually.

BTW, I'm in Chicagoland and have the "old" verison, although the new one popped up for a brief time a few weeks ago.

Sounds like some have the new web mail while others do not.  I guess ATT is rolling this out gradually.

BTW, I'm in Chicagoland and have the "old" verison, although the new one popped up for a brief time a few weeks ago.

14 of 260 (24,113 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2014 9:45:32 PM
(0)
Teacher

At some point on May 2, my AT&T Yahoo Mail format changed.  It is now missing several features, and looks like Basic, instead of Full Featured.  I also pay extra for what used to be called Yahoo Mail Plus.  AT&T Support Chat says Security issues forced the format change, and that I cannot go back.  They then said to call Yahoo if any problems, and immediately ended the session.  I have not received any notification of the change, and it is not mentioned anywhere on the AT&T site. AT&T email Help topics show info for the prior version, and not the new.  Waht happened?

At some point on May 2, my AT&T Yahoo Mail format changed.  It is now missing several features, and looks like Basic, instead of Full Featured.  I also pay extra for what used to be called Yahoo Mail Plus.  AT&T Support Chat says Security issues forced the format change, and that I cannot go back.  They then said to call Yahoo if any problems, and immediately ended the session.  I have not received any notification of the change, and it is not mentioned anywhere on the AT&T site. AT&T email Help topics show info for the prior version, and not the new.  Waht happened?

Lost full featured Yahoo Mail

15 of 260 (24,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2014 10:39:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

Hi

Yesterday my sbcglobal.net email has new changes with sponsored emails on top that are undeletable (a new one appears if you try to delete it) and it looks like you can't delete an email without opening it.

Any way to get rid of these big brother type changes?  I'm hoping a click in Settings would do it but I can't figure it out.

Thanks!

Hi

Yesterday my sbcglobal.net email has new changes with sponsored emails on top that are undeletable (a new one appears if you try to delete it) and it looks like you can't delete an email without opening it.

Any way to get rid of these big brother type changes?  I'm hoping a click in Settings would do it but I can't figure it out.

Thanks!

5/1/14 new email changes

16 of 260 (24,113 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2014 5:33:23 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'll start by saying that I, too, hate this new format.  Now, I wanted to sort my mail by sender but that's not one of the sort.options.  Am I missing something or did they just forget to include it?

I'll start by saying that I, too, hate this new format.  Now, I wanted to sort my mail by sender but that's not one of the sort.options.  Am I missing something or did they just forget to include it?

How do I sort my email by sender in the new email?

18 of 260 (24,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2014 10:27:24 PM
(0)
Teacher

Oh, AT&T.  If there isn't a fix we're missing, I sure hope you will remedy this issue...quickly.  I NEED the sort by sender and subject capability for work (and it's one reason I use you over gmail).  Please HELP!!!

Oh, AT&T.  If there isn't a fix we're missing, I sure hope you will remedy this issue...quickly.  I NEED the sort by sender and subject capability for work (and it's one reason I use you over gmail).  Please HELP!!!

Re: How do I sort my email by sender in the new email?

19 of 260 (24,075 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2014 10:17:27 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, acolner!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear you're not a fan of the new format. There doesn't appear to be a way to revert to the old version, but we would be happy to walk you through the new one if you click here to send us a private message.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, acolner!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear you're not a fan of the new format. There doesn't appear to be a way to revert to the old version, but we would be happy to walk you through the new one if you click here to send us a private message.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Re: I don't like the new ATT.net email format. How do I go back to the old one (Classic)?

20 of 260 (24,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2014 1:29:45 PM
(0)
Teacher

What have you done to my email? I am sure I'm not the only one who HATES the new email format! First the colors and themes are HORRIBLE.  Then there's sorting.  Now I can't find emails that were there like 5 minutes ago. And the ads - I mean they are everywhere!  Give me a break!  After 11 years I'm leaving you AT&T unless you let me have my old emaila format back. This is the WORST product ever!

What have you done to my email? I am sure I'm not the only one who HATES the new email format! First the colors and themes are HORRIBLE.  Then there's sorting.  Now I can't find emails that were there like 5 minutes ago. And the ads - I mean they are everywhere!  Give me a break!  After 11 years I'm leaving you AT&T unless you let me have my old emaila format back. This is the WORST product ever!

Re: I don't like the new ATT.net email format. How do I go back to the old one (Classic)?

21 of 260 (24,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2014 5:37:55 PM
(0)
Mentor

We left after 17 years - no regrets, only took a modest effort to change forum/group/friend notification address updates. Should have done it when AT&T went over to Yahoo.

Regards,

fiero850

We left after 17 years - no regrets, only took a modest effort to change forum/group/friend notification address updates. Should have done it when AT&T went over to Yahoo.

Regards,

fiero850

22 of 260 (24,062 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2014 8:24:32 AM
(0)
Scholar

One thing I just found that may help is to disable "conversations"

Go under settings and uncheck conversations and that may fix things

One thing I just found that may help is to disable "conversations"

Go under settings and uncheck conversations and that may fix things

23 of 260 (24,023 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
May 7, 2014 12:31:45 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, everyone.

Check out the link below for some helpful information about the new updated AT&T e-mail.

Updated E-mail

Let me know if this helps!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Hello, everyone.

Check out the link below for some helpful information about the new updated AT&T e-mail.

Updated E-mail

Let me know if this helps!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

24 of 260 (23,998 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2014 8:44:43 PM
(0)
Teacher

I agree 100%. The new email with the 'sponsored ad' as the first item in my InBox is an insult - the lowest of all low moves by AT&T. If this feature does not disappear, and disappear SOON, I will cancel my entire UVerse package and go elsewhere. AT&T seems to be returning to its evil historic roots of 'Ma Bell' - so aptly portrayed by Lily Tomlin as the phone operator back before that monopoly was broken up. I think we need another federal breakup of this utility so that new upstarts (like the old MCI) can provide real service once again.

I agree 100%. The new email with the 'sponsored ad' as the first item in my InBox is an insult - the lowest of all low moves by AT&T. If this feature does not disappear, and disappear SOON, I will cancel my entire UVerse package and go elsewhere. AT&T seems to be returning to its evil historic roots of 'Ma Bell' - so aptly portrayed by Lily Tomlin as the phone operator back before that monopoly was broken up. I think we need another federal breakup of this utility so that new upstarts (like the old MCI) can provide real service once again.

Re: New Email/Yahoo System

25 of 260 (23,729 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2014 3:13:17 AM
(0)
Mentor

I am disgusted by the the NEW AT&T Email system. It's horrible. It has taken many steps backwards in email systems. Which M O R O N at AT&T or YAHOO thought this new system would be better or more effective? I will be stopping my service with AT&T as soon as my contract is over. Every time they think they are improving something they instead have taken many steps backwards. IF IT WAS NOT BROKEN WHY DID YOU TRY TO FIX IT????????? This new system is an insult and a big dis-service to all paying subscribers!!!!! VOTE WITH YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY - when your contract is finished do not re-new. Do not recommend AT&T internet service to any new possible customers/family/friends or acquaintances - it is no longer worth subscribing too. Pass the word along.

I am disgusted by the the NEW AT&T Email system. It's horrible. It has taken many steps backwards in email systems. Which M O R O N at AT&T or YAHOO thought this new system would be better or more effective? I will be stopping my service with AT&T as soon as my contract is over. Every time they think they are improving something they instead have taken many steps backwards. IF IT WAS NOT BROKEN WHY DID YOU TRY TO FIX IT????????? This new system is an insult and a big dis-service to all paying subscribers!!!!! VOTE WITH YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY - when your contract is finished do not re-new. Do not recommend AT&T internet service to any new possible customers/family/friends or acquaintances - it is no longer worth subscribing too. Pass the word along.

26 of 260 (23,952 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2014 7:32:55 AM
(0)
Mentor

We do NOT always get used to change. We can always go somewhere else for our email account, and I am just about at that point with AT&T Yahoo! This change in the layout for my email account is unacceptable, it is not an improvement in any way, but is just the opposite of improvement. Some of the words on the page are so light I cannot read them at all. I can no longer sort my email by subject. Whoever designed this new layout needs to be fired and then put down a bottomless pit!!!

I am going elsewhere if it is not changed back to the old layout!

We do NOT always get used to change. We can always go somewhere else for our email account, and I am just about at that point with AT&T Yahoo! This change in the layout for my email account is unacceptable, it is not an improvement in any way, but is just the opposite of improvement. Some of the words on the page are so light I cannot read them at all. I can no longer sort my email by subject. Whoever designed this new layout needs to be fired and then put down a bottomless pit!!!

I am going elsewhere if it is not changed back to the old layout!

27 of 260 (23,930 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2014 9:54:43 AM
(1)
Teacher

That is not  a good response to post as many are PAYING  customers of ATT email servvice and thus are paying NOT  to have adds.  Please reinstate the functionality of being able to sort by senders.  Thank-you!

That is not  a good response to post as many are PAYING  customers of ATT email servvice and thus are paying NOT  to have adds.  Please reinstate the functionality of being able to sort by senders.  Thank-you!

28 of 260 (23,893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2014 1:13:04 PM
(0)
Mentor

ATT is not registering my kudos.  So here it is in real time - KUDOS to your reply.

ATT is not registering my kudos.  So here it is in real time - KUDOS to your reply.

29 of 260 (23,835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2014 1:31:28 PM
(0)
Mentor

"Learn how to use AT&T email. Get a tour of the overall navigation and the basics of using AT&T email. Video may take up to 30 seconds to load." -- This is the type arrogance that ATT is famous for. ATT, we KNOW how to use the email, it's the gobbledygook you've added and the totally unnecessary changes that you have made. You don't "save bandwidth" at the expense of your paying customers. You only THINK that we are disposable. Now we have to endure 2 slides to do the same that one previously did. The tabs that you dun make navigation a breeze. You've fooled yourselves into believing that you are performing a service. No, you are only serving yourselves. Get over your ego trip and give us back the mail that we know and prefer.

"Learn how to use AT&T email. Get a tour of the overall navigation and the basics of using AT&T email. Video may take up to 30 seconds to load." -- This is the type arrogance that ATT is famous for. ATT, we KNOW how to use the email, it's the gobbledygook you've added and the totally unnecessary changes that you have made. You don't "save bandwidth" at the expense of your paying customers. You only THINK that we are disposable. Now we have to endure 2 slides to do the same that one previously did. The tabs that you dun make navigation a breeze. You've fooled yourselves into believing that you are performing a service. No, you are only serving yourselves. Get over your ego trip and give us back the mail that we know and prefer.

You are only "serving" yourselves at ATT

30 of 260 (23,823 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments