Protect yourself online
rocket_pc's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, February 6th, 2013 5:28 AM

How to completely unistall McAfee from my computer.

Hi, I have an account with SBC Global Yahoo DSL.  I have three computers (some of them netbook and laptop).  Recently, I upgraded the operating system on my desktop computer from XP to Windows 8 Pro.  I immediatly downloaded McAfee antivirus from the SBC Global Yahoo DSL website and installed it on my computer.  Now, I have been informed that Windows 8 Pro has its own antivirus.  Therefore, I would like to uninstall McAfee from this computer - only.  I would like this to be a clean install, removing all of Mcafee so that no trace of it is ever running on this computer.  How do I uninstall McAfee and safely without removing or damaging the registry files of the Windows 8 Pro antivirus software?

Thank you for your time and attentiion on this subject.

Don

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

There is actually a McAfee cleanup tool on McAfee's site, but hard to find. Here is the info from Majorgeeks.com http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you very much.  I that tool may work very well.  However, I have made plans to reinstall the operating system.  Reinst the OS shouldn't be too much hassle since I have yet installed any programs or files on the existing system.  Problem now, is I've got to figure out how to reinstall without the installation disk.  Thats an issue I'll take up with Microsoft. 

Again, thank you.  I'll copy and print that to send to a friend that may need the help.

Don

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

If it is a OEM install, you will not be able to reinstall without a OEM disc, or even a disc at all, unless you pay full price for a new Windows 8 disc & key. As for the stuff, majority is just shortcuts, with maybe McAfee, Wild Tangent, and the Microsoft Office install.

It is not as bad as it used to be, when you first bought computers.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.