Protect yourself online
winsomart's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Wednesday, February 24th, 2016 5:05 PM

How to BLOCK sender, and generate an AUTOMATIC REPLY that tells SENDER that their email is BLOCKED??

I have a free  @bellsouth.net email address.  How do I BLOCK an undesired email from sending me any emails BUT ALSO automatically send a MESSAGE back to the SENDER to let the person know that their email has been BLOCKED?

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

8 years ago

Hello @winsomart

Are you signing into your account via att.net? You should be able to add an address to block list in your settings, but unfortunately I don't think there is a way to generate an auto reply.

I hope it helps.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

Your solution does NOT solve the problem. I WANT the person who's sending me harassing emails to KNOW that his emails have been BLOCKED in an automated response where I do NOT get involved personally.

W. Martin 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Did you figure away to block them so they receive a text stating your not receiving messages via text at this time? There is away but it doesn't say from that idividual person just your not receiving messages at this time. It wouldn't be difficult for the dusch to figure it's only his or her number when they try from another number and it goes through

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

As @ATTDmitriyCM said, Yahoo (who does att's e-mail service) has filters you can use to block an individual sender, but services like say, a notification that your message was received and read, or messaged saying you are intentionally blocking them, are just NOT available.

No one is trying to pull your chain or anything, it was just not, nor likly will be implimented.

I have other e-mail services asside from att, yahoo, etc. and none of those have rejected mail noticification either.

About  the ONLY way something like that could be done, would be like an e-mail cleint (and no, I have no idea of any that do) that you could potentially set up to do that.

Otherwise, you will have to settle for the mail going into your junk folder, with the other rejected messages.

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

8 years ago

Actually I tend to disagree with everyone.. you can set up a vacation response for specific domains. Now I do not know if it will work for an individual address, but you can certainly automatically respond with a vacation response. The only downside is that you have to turn on the regular vacation response as well. but if you get these unwanted emails frequently enough then having it on for a short period of time should be enough. I would also create a filter to trash the email. I think if you just use the ban feature right away then I don't think the auto-response will work.

vacationresponse.png

1 Attachment

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

8 years ago

So I just tested this. If you ban the address then the vacation response does not work. But if you create a filter to move the email after receiving it then they will get the blocked vacation response. And I was not able to specify an email address, I had to use domain. So if you have friends on the same domain you might want to warn them that they may get a blocked message. Also the domain is picky, you can not use the @, so like if you wanted to block an AT&T address you would enter att.com in the box for domain.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.