Protect yourself online
chrissyc's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, August 22nd, 2014 6:07 PM

Emails through att.net/yahoo mail DISAPPEAR

Hi everyone,

I have an att.net email address which I use. Whenever I log on to www.att.net and sign into my mail account, this specific server only saves my inbox messages dating back 1-2 weeks. HOWEVER, when I use my macbook pro to view my same email messages through "Mail" the same emails are saved forever (or however long I decide). 

Does anyone know how to update my www.att.net/yahoo mail settings? I called tech support and they wanted to charge me a fee for "advanced support" which is ridiculous. 

Thanks so much in advance!

Guru

• 

498 Messages

10 years ago

Is your Mac Mail account setup as type 'POP3'?  If so, is the box "Delete from server..." checked?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

I have my Mail on iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro all using iMap but I never leave anything in my Inbox longer than a few days.

The reason why I use iMap is because each of my Mail clients sees what is on the mail server. When I delete an email on my iPhone, it deletes it on the Mail server as well as all my other email clients. I only save email on my MacBook so I BCC myself for any replies or new mail sent from my iPhone, iPad, or the Yahoo web browser mail access. This way my MacBook Mail client will get that mail in the Inbox for me to save in another folder.

I treat anything in the Inbox as actionable and thus it only stays there long enough for me to act on it, then it gets moved to another folder.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, it's a POP3. Would this be found by going to Mail-preferences-accounts-advanced?

Sent from my iPhone

Guru

• 

498 Messages

10 years ago

@chrissyc wrote:
Yes, it's a POP3. Would this be found by going to Mail-preferences-accounts-advanced?

Sent from my iPhone

I don't have an iPhone nearby, but it's either on the first screen or in the Advanced settings.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

If you are using an email app more than one device, it is best that they all match in terms of iMap or POP3. Failure to do so can lead to inconsistent email behavior.

That said, the best way to change between POP3 and iMap is to remove your current email account and then add back using the appropriate information at Email Setup Options

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.