For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
EAB987's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, February 21st, 2015 9:11 PM

Emails Are Marked Read

About three weeks ago I noticed most emails started arriving in my box already read, so I was missing new emails. I have had this account since the beginning of AT&T.net and have never touched this setting. I looked up the setting and sure enough it had been randomly changed to 'Mark As Read' - Immediately. So, I changed it back to NEVER, and everything was fine for about a week. Then it started happening again, only this time the setting was still set to NEVER. I hit 'SAVE' again, and it worked ok for a while. Then emails started coming in again today with no dot and no bold print. I saw this on my laptop first, so I went to my iPad, opened my emails and watched the blue dots indicating unread emails, disappear before my eyes, one at a time. This has also happened to my husband's personal account, but we have 5 other att.net accounts that are fine. What is going on, and how do I stop it? We really do not want to change the emails we have had for many years.....

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Hi rbenz121,

This problem is definitely an AT&T or Yahoo problem (not Apple), because it was happening on my Windows PC as well. I have solved the issue by going back to old or 'Basic' email, as they call it now. I figured that eventually Yahoo will fix the problem, but until they get it straightened out it is easier to keep using the old mail format, rather than to change over all of my email addresses to another server.

If you click on the picture of a gear in the upper right corner of your Inbox and use the drop down menu to click on 'settings', then switch from 'Full Featured' to 'Basic' under Mail Version, which is located at the bottom of the Settings window/page, you should be able to eliminate the problem. You will of course have to get use to using the old mail format again, but I liked some of those features better anyway.

One thing that I did notice on my iPad is that if you have email notifications set up, when you get a banner or open the drop down menu, if you tap on (or anyway near) the email section, it can cause those emails to show as already read when you go to your email app. If you shut off notifications on your Phone and iPad that should keep that from happening, but I like to see my emails as they are coming in, so I try to be careful only look and not touch the screen when the banner appears, or the drop down menu is open.

I hope this helps.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I just read johnchakos request for steps to go back to 'old' mail and am wondering if I would not be having my issue if I, too, went back to 'Basic".  I am giving it a try.  Hopefully, it will solve my problem.  I think the 'new' mail has a lot of bugs to be worked out. 

I also had problems with messenger continuously opening and stopping me from typing an email response on my laptop.  I could not make the window stop opening and couldn't shut it off, so my solution was to use my iPad.  This was occuring randomly and not on every email, even though I went no where near the messenger icon.  I am thrilled to see that icon gone, now that I am back in 'Basic".

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

HI,  I am also  having the same problem for a while now. All the email shows as read on every device( webmail, iphone and ipad)  and on my ipad it is downloading 6500 email  ( probably fromthe beginning) and showing them all as unread!   I spent 2 hours troubleshooting on the phone with apple and its not a hardware issue.  Ive been using  att.net email for decades and haven't had this problem before. I dont want to cancel this account but its very frustrating and Im about to go to gmail.  

is there a solution for this?  Please  Help  Im imissing a lot of important email.     thank you. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

The 'solution' to switch back to Basic email is no longer working.  After a couple of weeks the problem started again and has continued to escalate.  All emails are coming in marked already read now and I am powerless to stop it.  I keep checking the set up, but it is always marked 'never' deliver email marked read.  I keep reconfirming the 'never' but it doesn't help. My husband and I have seven at&t email addresses between us, but only the one I use the most has this problem.  The one he uses most is having the opposite issue.  All his emails come in marked unread, and after he opens them they stay marked unread.  We have been manually marking and unmarking the emails to try to keep it all straight, but I am still missing important emails regularly and finding them days later.  This is really unacceptable, and I can't put up with this much longer!  AT&T are you paying attention??

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

I was having the issue of the search function not working properly in my att email account, which many others are having as well. I was told to download Thunderbird, which I did. Now, all of my emails are showing up as read when they are unread. This is making it twice as hard for me to do my work since I now have 2 problems.

I have no idea why and cannot get any answers.

Does anyone have new information about the read/unread issue?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Three weeks ago I started having the same problem with emails coming through already marked as read.  It has been a year since EAB987 posted his original comment, and it appears that the problem is still not fixed.  Has anyone learned anything recently about if or when this problem will be fixed?  I am ready to move away from AT&T over this one issue.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

It is ATT penalizing those who disconnected their Internet service after several decades with them. They told me "Since you terminated your associated Internet connections, we no longer provide free tech support for third partyemail accounts (yahoo for sbcglobal.net in my case)." I found this conduct deploravle but expected from a comoany that never ceased from being a monopoly, even though officially divested in 1984. The irony is that I disconnected that DSL (U-verse Internet only) and still have a Family Shared Plan for 3 cell phones and another U-verse dry-loop DSL at the same address I had thhe disconnect. I had to provide a different email account for that new service. Why?

I think this is a huge road block that will require the intervention of nothing less than FCC. DOes anyone know some big wigs at the Feds level. I believe it deserves a consultation at that level.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I am having the same problem. I have 2 email accounts. One Yahoo One AT&T.  All my yahoo emails come in mark as read.  Very hard to know if I have new Mail.    I went to the Apple store since problem on MAC and iphone.  They offered no help at all.  Told me to contact Yahoo.  Impossible to do that.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

It's amazing that so many people have reported this issue for so long no AT&T have done nothing to correct it.
I use gmail now.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to stop the opiate epidemic. This email address is out there. I'll have to muster through it
STOPPNOW
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.