For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
jeffstaser's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, March 4th, 2013 11:45 PM

Email hacked

I had my email account hacked.  I set up this account years ago and have moved six or more times, not remembering the information I used when I first set it up.  I'm being told I can't be helped to at least shut down my account.  My friends are getting hit with emails with bogus attachments, and I am afraid other information may be taken from my folders.  There has to be another way to verify my account so I may protect myself and my friends

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Moderator

• 

773 Messages

11 years ago

@jeffstaser wrote:

I had my email account hacked.  I set up this account years ago and have moved six or more times, not remembering the information I used when I first set it up.  I'm being told I can't be helped to at least shut down my account.  My friends are getting hit with emails with bogus attachments, and I am afraid other information may be taken from my folders.  There has to be another way to verify my account so I may protect myself and my friends

jeffstaser,

Hello and welcome, I have included a few links below that will hopefully take care of this situation.

My AT&T email account may have been hacked, phished, or compromised

Email password change or reset

If you're still haven't been able to reset your password or get into that email please send a private message to our ATTCustomer care team by using the link below. Please provide your name, an accessible email, phone number and the best time that you can be contacted. Please also allow up to 48 hours for a team member to contact you.

Private Message

Thank you,

James

Community Support

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

Jeffstaser,

Thanks for sending us a PM.  I have notified one of our Social Media Managers and they will be in contact with you soon.

–Ray, AT&T Social Media Manager 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

my e-mail has been taken over and am getting multiple mailer-daemon messages, 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I am having the same issue. Have received more than 3,000 mailer daemon messages since 7/4/16. Help!!!!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I reset my e-mail password. recieved four more mailer-daemon messages since then. waiting to see if it continues.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I Have researched a little more. Odds are that this will subside as more and more people black list the senders e-mails and they become less effective. blazingfibre.net has three options on how to fix this. I probably would need help from att people to implement the fix. I don't think this is a password issue. Blazingfibre says that they probably aren't trying to attack our domains  but have just randomly sellected our domain to send spam by forging the mail headers to make it seem like its coming from our domains. The amount of mailer-daemons we see are probably about the same amount that are actually getting through.You just don't see the successful ones. Hope this was of some help to you. good luck. Paul

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

First off, blaming yahoo as the manager of email isn't the answer. We pay ATT and ATT pays yahoo to manage it. ATT is the responsible party.

Latest snafu: A couple of weeks ago an email sub-account suddenly wouldn't download new emails to my Thunderbird client. At the same time another sub-account and the primary account downloaded to the same Thunderbird application without a problem. After doing all the Thunderbird verification stuff it did not appear it was at fault. Then searching the web for solutions I noted that people with similar issues always got the same ATT response - "ATT doesn't support Thunderbird, buh-bye".

One guy found a specific email on his ATT web email Inbox that was somehow corrupt and interfered with his download. He moved it out of the web Inbox and his stuff then worked fine. That was the only person I found that posted any solution that he had tried for himself and it worked. It didn't work for me though when i moved 100% of my inbox to a separate folder.

Most solutions were really just suggestions by people not having the problem themselves. And most of the 'solutions' were for people to change their passwords. Hilariously there were many replies that that the ATT password change page wouldn't let them change their own password. The ambiguous error message implied they had entered the wrong password. Since to even get to that ATT page the user had to enter a valid password it seemed obvious ATT's page was broken in some way. Since i was able to access the sub-account on ATT.com and look at the webmail when logging into att.net I obviously was using the right password, right? But, but, but why were most of the new and unread emails i received since emptying my inbox now showing they were read? Hacked again like earlier this year. Well, i guess i should change my password too. LOL

I quit laughing when I tried to change my own sub-account password and ran into the same broken page others reported. I continued to prowl the forums and ran across a user reply that had a link to the password change page that went a different route through ATT's website. IT WORKED! WOOHOO!..........once. This morning I went back to change the security questions and am again blocked and receiving the same bullship error code. Just checked it again and still broken for both password and security questions. Because i was able ONCE last night to get it to accept my changes (inputting the same dang stuff) I have to say ATT is the source of the problem. People have also commented that you have to enter a 4-digit Secret Answer since that is part of the ambiguous error message - even though it says 4-80 characters. Besides the fact that the only fields on that page in which to enter information are clearly marked and none mention "Secret Answer", only current password, new password and the security questions.

I've spent way too much time on this issue that should have been fixed with a short series of defined steps. So far i've found a least a half dozen different paths to changing email passwords and right at this moment none seem to work. Ever heard of "too big to fail"? Well the ATT technology version of that appears to be "too big to not fail". 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.