Protect yourself online
young77's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, May 5th, 2016 2:34 PM

Email hack

I am getting messages from Google that someone has my password and trying to access my account in another country.  Is this for real from google. Why would they have anything to do with my at&t / yahoo account?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @young77

Google will send those kinds of alerts to their users, but if you're not using Gmail, it's either a mistake or a phishing attempt. Please don't click on any links in the email, and if you have a gmail account, log it at gmail.com and change your password. It may be a good idea to change your att.net password just to be safe.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

I get one of those from google about my g-mail, roughly about once a year, and it is always from somewhere in rusia, siberia, I think.

Of course, since they track where logins are attempted from, and there is not reason to think I suddenly moved from Florida to Siberia, they blocked it, and sent me the warning message.

I simply re-do the password, and call it a day.

Are the ones you are getting real? Well, unless you actually have a g-mail account, and it is directly refering to that g-mail account (As in, a warning someone hacked your ATT e-mail account) then it would be an obvious fake, as, why would google track other e-mail service providers.

And note:  the real google warnings advise you NOT to reply, as no one monitors it. (An automated message, in other words.) So, if they say, click here to validate account, etc.   well, don't.

Hope you are okay.  Good luck.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.