Internet Forums

Posted May 1, 2012
8:12:29 PM
Email contacts disappear

Today I noticed a problem with my email contacts missing in my sbcglobal.net/yahoo email account.  When I click on the contacts tab it says I have over 120 contacts and displays them all.  When I click on a list of contacts that I created it says the list is empty, then when I click on "all contacts" it says that I don't have any contacts.  Also, when a contact sends me an email, my inbox say 2 new emails, 0 from contacts.  Is anyone else having this problem or can explain what is going on?  Anyone from AT&T on this message board that can help?  Thanks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jun 8, 2012 12:08:01 PM
(0)
Scholar

Discovered something.

When I've had problems with my contacts, I've noticed that my profile photo wasn't appearing in the upper left corner of my web mail screen.  I went to my Profile then back to web mail, did a refresh and shortly thereafter my photo appeared and contacts were OK.

It appears there needs to be a "connection" between one's Profile and Web Mail for Contacts to work properly.

I've done the above procedure several times and each time it has worked.  Maybe this will work for you too.

43 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(43)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2012 5:26:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

I did try changing my view to the classic view and that did nothing.

Re: Email contacts disappear

31 of 44 (769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2012 5:31:53 AM
(0)
Contributor

My contacts appear and disappear. I have called AT&T and Yahoo and they don't have an answer.

My contacts appear and disappear. I have called AT&T and Yahoo and they don't have an answer.

32 of 44 (769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2012 5:33:02 AM
(0)
Contributor

How do I change to mail classic?

How do I change to mail classic?

33 of 44 (770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2012 6:55:28 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by k9jdk on Jun 13, 2012 at 7:05:23 AM

WestMichigan wrote:

Did you try the remedy mentioned in message #27 in this thread?  It **always** works for me and I know it has worked for others.  You don't have to switch to Mail Classic (unless you really want to).

BTW, I just discovered my contacts were not working again.  Did the procedure in #27 and things are OK.  Again.

I am pretty much convinced that there needs to be a connection between your profile and web mail in order for contacts, auto-complete, etc to work properly.  

WestMichigan wrote:

Did you try the remedy mentioned in message #27 in this thread?  It **always** works for me and I know it has worked for others.  You don't have to switch to Mail Classic (unless you really want to).

BTW, I just discovered my contacts were not working again.  Did the procedure in #27 and things are OK.  Again.

I am pretty much convinced that there needs to be a connection between your profile and web mail in order for contacts, auto-complete, etc to work properly.  

[ Edited ]
34 of 44 (766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2012 10:38:04 AM
(0)
Contributor
Message #27 worked. Thanks
Message #27 worked. Thanks

35 of 44 (748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 6:54:58 AM
(0)
Contributor

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but I TRIED Senior Newbie's suggestion ("Message 27"), and it worked TEMPORARILY:  I'm very careful to use a Tool I have that will completely wipe away all the Cache, Cookies, History, Temporary Internet Files, etc. etc., from my computer after I've closed my Browser.

After making this Profile change, watching it work, but then closing my Browser and "cleaning" it, the issue came back.

This is not a true fix; and letting all that "junk" stay resident on my computer, just so I can have AT&T's Contact issue not bother me, is a silly non-option.

Considering moving to Gmail.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but I TRIED Senior Newbie's suggestion ("Message 27"), and it worked TEMPORARILY:  I'm very careful to use a Tool I have that will completely wipe away all the Cache, Cookies, History, Temporary Internet Files, etc. etc., from my computer after I've closed my Browser.

After making this Profile change, watching it work, but then closing my Browser and "cleaning" it, the issue came back.

This is not a true fix; and letting all that "junk" stay resident on my computer, just so I can have AT&T's Contact issue not bother me, is a silly non-option.

36 of 44 (703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 7:26:45 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by k9jdk on Jun 21, 2012 at 7:39:08 AM

janr wrote:

Never said it was a "fix".  The fix (Yahoo's job) would be for the mail app to **always** connect to one's profile.  It does not, so the simple log in to one's profile provides a temporary solution to the contacts problem, when needed.  No need IMO to "clean up" your browser to solve the contact problem.

janr wrote:

Never said it was a "fix".  The fix (Yahoo's job) would be for the mail app to **always** connect to one's profile.  It does not, so the simple log in to one's profile provides a temporary solution to the contacts problem, when needed.  No need IMO to "clean up" your browser to solve the contact problem.

[ Edited ]
37 of 44 (700 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 7:28:16 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by k9jdk on Jun 21, 2012 at 7:32:11 AM

The above note was meant to clarify NOT criticize.

The above note was meant to clarify NOT criticize.

[ Edited ]
38 of 44 (699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 8:47:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that you called your suggestion a "fix"; I meant, for the broader audience here, to note that it is only a Temporary -- but still useful -- suggestion, not a "fix".  That was my own word choice, not yours, it's true...

But how about this for a word choice?  WORKING.  Here's another:  CONSISTENTLY.  :smileyhappy:

Now before I get spammed, I'll add this disclaimer:  Your Mileage May Vary.  I have no idea what may or may not be the state of your computer... I keep mine "lean and mean" without a lot of crap on them, and I rarely have troubles... I knew immediately that this "issue" was on AT&T's side...

... that said, Senior Newbie's post DID get me thinking:  The Contacts seem to be tied to my PROFILE.  When I followed Senior Newbie's suggestion, I saw that it took me to my YAHOO "public profile"... Suddenly I realized that since SBC, AT&T, and Yahoo (maybe others) are all the same multi-headed Beast these days, I decided to try my "sbcglobal.net" account at the YAHOO MAIL login page -- mail.yahoo.com -- thinking that perhaps that would be treated as a "direct" Profile log-in, and then my Contact issue might go away...

I was right:  I tried it 3 times, using 2 browsers, making very sure to thoroughly clean out any Cache, Cookies, History, Temporary Internet Files, URLs, Certificates, and all manner of Browser waste after each and every attempt.

Every single time, not only did the Login take me straight to my Email interface (as expected), but when I opened a new Message and cilcked in the "TO" field and started typing a Name, my Contacts list came to life and showed me all the choices, just as I would expect...

We still have to thank Senior Newbie for figuring out that this issue is Profile related; I only put two-and-two together, and it seems to be working every single time.

I hope this helps someone else.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that you called your suggestion a "fix"; I meant, for the broader audience here, to note that it is only a Temporary -- but still useful -- suggestion, not a "fix".  That was my own word choice, not yours, it's true...

But how about this for a word choice?  WORKING.  Here's another:  CONSISTENTLY.  :smileyhappy:

Now before I get spammed, I'll add this disclaimer:  Your Mileage May Vary.  I have no idea what may or may not be the state of your computer... I keep mine "lean and mean" without a lot of crap on them, and I rarely have troubles... I knew immediately that this "issue" was on AT&T's side...

... that said, Senior Newbie's post DID get me thinking:  The Contacts seem to be tied to my PROFILE.  When I followed Senior Newbie's suggestion, I saw that it took me to my YAHOO "public profile"... Suddenly I realized that since SBC, AT&T, and Yahoo (maybe others) are all the same multi-headed Beast these days, I decided to try my "sbcglobal.net" account at the YAHOO MAIL login page -- mail.yahoo.com -- thinking that perhaps that would be treated as a "direct" Profile log-in, and then my Contact issue might go away...

I was right:  I tried it 3 times, using 2 browsers, making very sure to thoroughly clean out any Cache, Cookies, History, Temporary Internet Files, URLs, Certificates, and all manner of Browser waste after each and every attempt.

Every single time, not only did the Login take me straight to my Email interface (as expected), but when I opened a new Message and cilcked in the "TO" field and started typing a Name, my Contacts list came to life and showed me all the choices, just as I would expect...

We still have to thank Senior Newbie for figuring out that this issue is Profile related; I only put two-and-two together, and it seems to be working every single time.

I hope this helps someone else.

39 of 44 (687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 9:17:50 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by k9jdk on Jun 21, 2012 at 9:23:11 AM

I would have to say that I have contacts problems about 30% or so of the time now.  It has gotten better recently, so maybe the dust is starting to settle.  It used to be about 90%.  Thanks for the mail.yahoo.com tip.  It gets you to the same place but through a different doorway as it were.

And a (very) minor point.  My username is not "senior newbie" as yours isn't "visitor".

My username:    k9jdk

Your username:  janr

Next on the list --- the calendar app is broke and needs fixin'. 

I would have to say that I have contacts problems about 30% or so of the time now.  It has gotten better recently, so maybe the dust is starting to settle.  It used to be about 90%.  Thanks for the mail.yahoo.com tip.  It gets you to the same place but through a different doorway as it were.

And a (very) minor point.  My username is not "senior newbie" as yours isn't "visitor".

My username:    k9jdk

Your username:  janr

Next on the list --- the calendar app is broke and needs fixin'. 

[ Edited ]
40 of 44 (681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 9:32:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

Oh, yes you're right:  wrong about the User name... my apologies... I'm multi-tasking, typing on three different computers at the same time and it was just an oversight on my part.  Sorry about that.

Oh, yes you're right:  wrong about the User name... my apologies... I'm multi-tasking, typing on three different computers at the same time and it was just an oversight on my part.  Sorry about that.

41 of 44 (676 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 11:19:22 AM
(0)
Contributor
I've tried that, but I guess I don't know how to Refresh. Help, please!
I've tried that, but I guess I don't know how to Refresh. Help, please!

42 of 44 (522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 1:20:57 PM
(0)
Contributor
How do I get back to Classic mail? I don't see it in the options?
How do I get back to Classic mail? I don't see it in the options?

43 of 44 (310 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2014 7:13:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

I see there are so many of you having this problem. Me too. I think I went to back to the classic version and still having problems. When I go to my address book they seem to all be there. My problem is that when I want to send an email and want to add my addresses to the "To" box you cannot bring up that addresses so that you can add more than one address at a time into the "To" box. No way at all to do that.

Many time I like to forward an email and want to add a comment or little explaination of what it is about just before you read that email. That is mind boggleing. I cannot figure where to type. Terrible confusing to me.

I do not think their tech support has a clue. I called 2 times in the last month. After the first time the next day I had the old mail back until now and then it threw me into the new mail without warning yesterday. I cannot even begin to tell you all the problems I had at first and had to go to tools and uncheck the compatability view to even be able to read my mail as the right side cut off and no way to expand it to read it. Tech support said I would have to use the scroll bar at the bottom of the page to go back and forth to read my mail. I came unglued. Anyway, I am like you. I will just have to find another mail service to use. I am glad to find out that I am not the only one. I will defintely post a fix if I find out anything and hope you all will too. RAE

I see there are so many of you having this problem. Me too. I think I went to back to the classic version and still having problems. When I go to my address book they seem to all be there. My problem is that when I want to send an email and want to add my addresses to the "To" box you cannot bring up that addresses so that you can add more than one address at a time into the "To" box. No way at all to do that.

Many time I like to forward an email and want to add a comment or little explaination of what it is about just before you read that email. That is mind boggleing. I cannot figure where to type. Terrible confusing to me.

I do not think their tech support has a clue. I called 2 times in the last month. After the first time the next day I had the old mail back until now and then it threw me into the new mail without warning yesterday. I cannot even begin to tell you all the problems I had at first and had to go to tools and uncheck the compatability view to even be able to read my mail as the right side cut off and no way to expand it to read it. Tech support said I would have to use the scroll bar at the bottom of the page to go back and forth to read my mail. I came unglued. Anyway, I am like you. I will just have to find another mail service to use. I am glad to find out that I am not the only one. I will defintely post a fix if I find out anything and hope you all will too. RAE

44 of 44 (121 Views)