Protect yourself online
el_bucho's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012 3:12 AM

Email contacts disappear

Today I noticed a problem with my email contacts missing in my sbcglobal.net/yahoo email account.  When I click on the contacts tab it says I have over 120 contacts and displays them all.  When I click on a list of contacts that I created it says the list is empty, then when I click on "all contacts" it says that I don't have any contacts.  Also, when a contact sends me an email, my inbox say 2 new emails, 0 from contacts.  Is anyone else having this problem or can explain what is going on?  Anyone from AT&T on this message board that can help?  Thanks

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

My contacts appear and disappear. I have called AT&T and Yahoo and they don't have an answer.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

How do I change to mail classic?

Scholar

• 

251 Messages

12 years ago

@WestMichigan wrote:

I did try changing my view to the classic view and that did nothing.

Did you try the remedy mentioned in message #27 in this thread?  It **always** works for me and I know it has worked for others.  You don't have to switch to Mail Classic (unless you really want to).

BTW, I just discovered my contacts were not working again.  Did the procedure in #27 and things are OK.  Again.

I am pretty much convinced that there needs to be a connection between your profile and web mail in order for contacts, auto-complete, etc to work properly.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

Message #27 worked. Thanks

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but I TRIED Senior Newbie's suggestion ("Message 27"), and it worked TEMPORARILY:  I'm very careful to use a Tool I have that will completely wipe away all the Cache, Cookies, History, Temporary Internet Files, etc. etc., from my computer after I've closed my Browser.

After making this Profile change, watching it work, but then closing my Browser and "cleaning" it, the issue came back.

This is not a true fix; and letting all that "junk" stay resident on my computer, just so I can have AT&T's Contact issue not bother me, is a silly non-option.

Considering moving to Gmail.

Scholar

• 

251 Messages

12 years ago

@janr wrote:

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but I TRIED Senior Newbie's suggestion ("Message 27"), and it worked TEMPORARILY:  I'm very careful to use a Tool I have that will completely wipe away all the Cache, Cookies, History, Temporary Internet Files, etc. etc., from my computer after I've closed my Browser.

After making this Profile change, watching it work, but then closing my Browser and "cleaning" it, the issue came back.

This is not a true fix; and letting all that "junk" stay resident on my computer, just so I can have AT&T's Contact issue not bother me, is a silly non-option.

Considering moving to Gmail.

Never said it was a "fix".  The fix (Yahoo's job) would be for the mail app to **always** connect to one's profile.  It does not, so the simple log in to one's profile provides a temporary solution to the contacts problem, when needed.  No need IMO to "clean up" your browser to solve the contact problem.

Scholar

• 

251 Messages

12 years ago

The above note was meant to clarify NOT criticize.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that you called your suggestion a "fix"; I meant, for the broader audience here, to note that it is only a Temporary -- but still useful -- suggestion, not a "fix".  That was my own word choice, not yours, it's true...

But how about this for a word choice?  WORKING.  Here's another:  CONSISTENTLY.  🙂

Now before I get spammed, I'll add this disclaimer:  Your Mileage May Vary.  I have no idea what may or may not be the state of your computer... I keep mine "lean and mean" without a lot of crap on them, and I rarely have troubles... I knew immediately that this "issue" was on AT&T's side...

... that said, Senior Newbie's post DID get me thinking:  The Contacts seem to be tied to my PROFILE.  When I followed Senior Newbie's suggestion, I saw that it took me to my YAHOO "public profile"... Suddenly I realized that since SBC, AT&T, and Yahoo (maybe others) are all the same multi-headed Beast these days, I decided to try my "sbcglobal.net" account at the YAHOO MAIL login page -- mail.yahoo.com -- thinking that perhaps that would be treated as a "direct" Profile log-in, and then my Contact issue might go away...

I was right:  I tried it 3 times, using 2 browsers, making very sure to thoroughly clean out any Cache, Cookies, History, Temporary Internet Files, URLs, Certificates, and all manner of Browser waste after each and every attempt.

Every single time, not only did the Login take me straight to my Email interface (as expected), but when I opened a new Message and cilcked in the "TO" field and started typing a Name, my Contacts list came to life and showed me all the choices, just as I would expect...

We still have to thank Senior Newbie for figuring out that this issue is Profile related; I only put two-and-two together, and it seems to be working every single time.

I hope this helps someone else.

Scholar

• 

251 Messages

12 years ago

I would have to say that I have contacts problems about 30% or so of the time now.  It has gotten better recently, so maybe the dust is starting to settle.  It used to be about 90%.  Thanks for the mail.yahoo.com tip.  It gets you to the same place but through a different doorway as it were.

And a (very) minor point.  My username is not "senior newbie" as yours isn't "visitor".

My username:    k9jdk

Your username:  janr

Next on the list --- the calendar app is broke and needs fixin'. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Oh, yes you're right:  wrong about the User name... my apologies... I'm multi-tasking, typing on three different computers at the same time and it was just an oversight on my part.  Sorry about that.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.