Protect yourself online
jlumbtx's profile

Teacher

• 

41 Messages

Sunday, July 1st, 2012 1:08 AM

DSL test fast but dowenloads slowly

I have minimum DSL- Pro version- up to 3Mps.  I have run 3 different speed tests including the one on AT&Ts website.  All show the DSL is running at advertised speeds.

But when I download something from MS or Ubuntu, DSL Pro downloads at 345-350 KpS- a little more than 10% of the advertised speed.

Very disappointing and time consuming.  What can I do?

John

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

You seem to just be over looking this and getting your speeds messed up(I may be wrong). You are currently paying for Pro which gives 3 Megabits. 3 Megabits turns into about 370ish Kilobytes which you see on your downloads. Can you please go to Speedtest.net and test your speed there? If it turns out at about 3.0 or 2.9ish then you're getting your 3 Megabits speed you're paying for but your downloads are converting it into Kilobytes which you see and you're just mixing them up.

For example:

My speed in Megabits:  (Picked a test which has about 3.0)

and when you convert that to kilobytes it gave me:

377.3 kB/s download + 119.1 kB/s upload

If it turns out what I said you're experiencing is this then that means you're getting what you're paying for and you're pretty much stuck with that speed until you upgrade.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

41 Messages

12 years ago

Well,  I just asked an expert and got an answer.  When DSL speeds ( or any other speeds ) are discussed, if you see Mbps, with a lower case b, that means megabits per secondIf you see MBps with an upper case B, then you have megabytes per second.

So my download speed isn't nearly as slow as I thought it was.  Darknessrise was the first to imply that maybe I was reading the speed ( B or  b ) incorrectly and he/she was correct.

John

Former Community Manager

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

@jlumbtx wrote:

I have minimum DSL- Pro version- up to 3Mps.  I have run 3 different speed tests including the one on AT&Ts website.  All show the DSL is running at advertised speeds.

But when I download something from MS or Ubuntu, DSL Pro downloads at 345-350 KpS- a little more than 10% of the advertised speed.

Very disappointing and time consuming.  What can I do?

John

Welcome John.  Depending on your setup, internal network speeds can vary.  The following solution should help..

Troubleshooting slow speeds

if you don't see an improvement, please send me a Private Message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you.  We'll get you in touch with the appropriate group.

*To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

Regards,

Alex

Teacher

• 

41 Messages

12 years ago

OK.  I've done the troubleshoooting things,  Test programs still show down loads near advertised speeds.  Is there a 200-300

Mb test document that I can download to see if actual download speeds have improved? 

John

Teacher

• 

41 Messages

12 years ago

NO IMPROVEMENT!  I just download something from Microsoft at a steady 350 Kbps.  Is 350 Kbps the best I can hope

for when I'm paying for 3Mbps?

John 

Teacher

• 

41 Messages

12 years ago

I subscribe to U-verse DSL 1.5-3.0 Mbps. When I run a speed test I get a good result- 2.5+ Mbps. When I download something I get a much worse result 300-370 Kbps.

I did all the trouble shooting suggestions(for the 3rd or 4th time).  I downloaded the Troubleshoot and Resolve program. I did all the steps. I rebooted my modem. I re-ran the speed test and got 2.5+ Mbps. Then I downloaded the Troubleshoot and Resolve program again as a test. I watched the download - a 15.2 Mb program. It downloaded from AT&T at 300-310 Kbps.

Since I am paying for a "guaranteed" 1.5-3.0 Mbps shouldn't the Troubleshooter download at least at 1.5 Mbps rather than 300- 310 Kbps?

John in Houston

My computer, in case you need to know: running Win7, AMD 4-core CPU 3Ghz, 8 Gb DDR3 RAM, 300+ Gb available hard drive space. Wired modem connection. Modem is AT&T's 2Wire.

Teacher

• 

41 Messages

12 years ago

Sorry about all the typos in the title.
John

Teacher

• 

41 Messages

12 years ago

OK Darknessrise

Are your absolutely sure that DSL speeds are quoted in terms of gigabits rather than gigabytes? 

I posted this question elsewhere and no one has responded.  I was hoping that someone who actually

works for U-verse would answer.

John

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I would kill for DSL even slow DSL. I have dial up and am unable to get anyone to tell me when, or if, DSL will be in this area.

I have called for 3 years and the Siberian non english speaking techs tell me I don't pay my bill so I haven't had email in 2 years on my home page and what is DSL?( My bill is auto deduct, hello) I actually mailed AT&T corporate to ask about DSL and they sent me a form letter saying call our wonderful techs for assistance with your problem. We are considering moving and getting an internet package( also not on this street) just to have a human to speak to in ENGLISH that does not read from a pre typed script. Consider your self lucky my friend. You could be in my shoes.20 minutes to open a page and getting worse. Including getting to this page through AT&T main page.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

I find it kind of funny that we have to go to a competitor (http://www.speedtest.net) of AT&T for our speed test check!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.