Protect yourself online
juiwan's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 1:15 AM

DSL drop for few seconds every hour

My service is DSL without home phone. I used uverse high speed internet before DSL. When switch to DSL, it use same line inside the house to connect to DSL so I am very sure there's no problem on the wiring inside the house. The DSL modem doesn't  close to TV or other electric device. Every time the DSL drop, the dsl light on modem turn red. I have contacted the tech support by chating and by phone. They run test and told me everything looks fine. However, the DSL still drop every hour. Can anyone tell me what's wrong? The modem is 2wire gateway 2701HG-B. Here is the Broadband Statistics on the modem:

View Broadband Link Statistics

Help
Transmit and Receive Data
IP Bytes   Packets   Errors
Transmit: 65939103   392953   0
Receive: 609591592   516291   0

Help
Data Errors
Statistics
Collected for 20:44:43
  Since Reset Current 24-Hour Interval Current 15-Minute Interval Time Since Last Event
ATM Cell Header Errors: 1 1 0 19:25:12

ATM Loss of Cell Delineation: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Link Retrains: 17 17 1 0:02:31

DSL Training Errors: 5 5 1 0:02:24

DSL Training Timeouts: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Loss of Framing Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Loss of Signal Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Loss of Power Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Loss of Margin Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Cumulative Errored Seconds: 1 1 0 19:25:12

DSL Severely Errored Seconds: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Corrected Blocks: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Uncorrected Blocks: 1 1 0 19:25:12

ISP Connection Establishment: 2 2 2 14:40:59

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Greetings Juiwan,

The problem you're having is quite common, but yet never acknowledged. I have noticed this problem about four years ago when I recieved my first 2Wire modem device and playing intensive online gaming.

The 2Wire has a mechanism inside that is called a Firewall which protects the modem from oncoming attacks. However, the 2Wire is known for firmware issues in which the 2Wire will detect a false attack and cause the modem to shut itself down. An example of this would be a automotive with an burglar alarm system and a brush of wind causes it to go off. 

The fix to this is fairly simple. You need to access your internet browser by placing in the URL : http://192.168.1.254

Click on the Firewall link icon which looks like a Lock at the top right of your interface. About a quarter of an inch down, you will need to select Advanced settings. 

Note: You may or may not be prompted to put in a System Password... This password is for the configuration of your modem, if you don't remember it, select Forgot password and it will provide a hint. If you still cannot remember the password, select "Still cannot remember password" and you will be prompt to put in the System Key. To find this key, it will be location on the left hand side your modem in between two barcodes. It's a ten digit number surrounded by bracket signs. Create your password at this time and then go back to the Firewall, Advanced settings and place in the new password you've created. 

On the next screen you will see on the right hand side an option that says Attack Detection -- Uncheck the option for "Packet Flood" and then hit save.

Once done, go back to the top icons and select Home Network, to the lower right you will see Edit Settings under Wireless Settings, click Edit Settings, proceed to the bottom of the screen and set Power Setting to 10... and Wireless Mode to B only.

Once done, click on the save feature and close out of the browser, reopen and it should fix the problem permanently. 

Thank you,

-Lonnie 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Hi Lonnie,

Thanks so much for very detail and step by step instruction. I have done the changes on the modem. It did reduce the frequency. (I guess couple time dsl drop may caused by windy weather outside)

Juiwan

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Lonnie:

THis solution works! I had another tech walk it through for me. No more dropped DSL connections.

Question: Where do all the packets come from to introduce the packet flood condition? I would have thought there would be more bufferring to take care of this condition.

This solution should be way up on the lest of to-do items before anyone gets exasperated with ATT

Ken

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

It works! Thank you so much. I was going nuts.  Smiley Happy

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I have a Netgear N300 Wireless Router.  I must "reset" it 4-6x/day as I lose my connectivity.  Surely this is not normal?  Very frustrating and interrupts important work!  Is it AT&T  or my router?

I surely will appreciate any help!

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello @shawke1 

If resetting only your router fixes the issue, that something is going on with the router, but if you have to reset your DSL modem, then it's the modem. I recommend testing it by resetting them one at the time if it happens again, and based on that you should be able to tell which one is acting up.

If it's your DSL modem, you'll want to contact AT&T support.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Same exact problem, same router, have checked filters, router ok, AT&T keeps dropping?  Pay good money for NO SERVICE, !

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

DSL send/receive rates drop to 0 kbps for approximately 7 seconds, then near normal activity for 15-20 seconds. What's up with that?? It's killing my internet usefulness!!

Netgear 7550 modem, 1.5mbps down, 384 kbps up Service Plan.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.