Protect yourself online
mrcomer's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, August 27th, 2016 11:31 PM

Can't use POP email on iMac running El Capitan

My old Mac died, so now I have a new one running the lastest OS = OS X 10.11.6 aka El Capitan.  On my old Mac I was using apple's Mail app setup for POP which allowed me to have emails deleted from the server as they were read onto my Mac.  When I try to setup Mail on my new Mac it uses IMAP.  There is no POP option.  Apple says this is because Yahoo is saying my account is IMAP.  The software does not allow the POP Server / Port and SMTP Server / Port to be set for POP3 even thought that would probably work. This is for an account that I have been using for years in POP mode.  How do I get Yahoo to say that this is a POP account?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

Not sure why you want to use POP. IMAP is much more versatile. I have the same setup as you except I have a MacBook Pro. Anyway, let's see if I can help.

If you allow MacOS (yes I am using new name) to automatically configure for Yahoo, the Mail negotiation will determine that IMAP is the one. If you want to really use POP then you have to have the POP email address and rather than select Yahoo as the internet account select "Add other account" and use the POP addresses. Be sure to remove your existing Yahoo account first.

As I said, I have a MacBook Pro but I also have an iPhone and iPad. With IMAP, when I receive an email, it is received on all three devices. When I read that email on one device, that email will show as being read on all the other devices. Should I delete that email on one device, it will disappear on all the other devices. I use my Mac as the primary so I only save email there using an appropriate folder. I should mention that though email is received on all the devices, it is not necessarily in the same minute but I have been told that is because of the Yahoo mail servers. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

It seems that if you use an email address (e.g. sbcglobal.net) that can do IMAP, Apple will force you to use IMAP even if you want POP.  There was a way to bypass that restriction by using a dummy email address, configuring for POP, then changing to your real address, but Apple has plugged that.  I've avoided that problem by using Thunderbird.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

I had to force Apple Mail to use IMAP by selecting "Other email" rather than Yahoo several years ago and never looked back so I cannot speak to what it does today.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

How to set up an att POP email account with Apple Mail

I had the same problem and figured out how to work around it:

1.  Go to Mail - Accounts, and click on Add Other Account, then @ Mail account

2.  When the Add a Mail Account window drops down enter bogus info into all the fields and click Sign In.

3. Another drop down window will appear ... enter all your correct information in all the fields.  Be sure to change Account Type from IMAP to POP.

4. Currently, the Incoming Mail Server for POP mail is: inbound.att.net with Port 995;

and the Outgoing Mail Server is: outbound.att.net with Port 465.

I hope this helps everyone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.