Explore & discover

Helpful Links

False Alarm and No Call

Tutor

False Alarm and No Call

We had our alarm on instant last night, triggered it by opening the door, immediately turned it off and received no call for the false alarm. Spoke with agent through Chat and stated there is a 45 sec delay in any state before AT&T calls after alarm. Is this true? If instant was used, why is it not instant? 

Message 1 of 14
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Foodie23
‎07-26-2017 9:35 PM

Re: False Alarm and No Call

@Foodie23 What the agent told you is correct. There is a 45 second delay once the alarm is triggered.

The "instant" setting eliminates any entry or exist delay prior to the alarm being triggered.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 14
ACE - Guru

The question is "why doesn't ATT call when the alarm is triggered?"

It wasn't about the different alarm modes...

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 14
Contributor

I think the 45 second delay before they call is to allow for accidental tips of an alarm.  It gives you time to jump over the couch, run screaming through the house at why someone didn't warn you it was set, to frantically get to the keypad to enter in the code then stand there and cross your fingers it wasn't long enough that AT&T and the cops are coming to see you in your PJ's.  

Playing the devils advocate though...someone could have already murdered me in that 45 seconds before AT&T calls to confirm if I am dead yet or not...

Message 4 of 14
Community Support

The delay allows time for you to cancel the alarm. When our monitoring center sees that you cancelled the alarm from the keypad or the app, we will not call you.

However, if we do not receive the alarm cancellation, we will call.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 14
Tutor

Yep from what I was told by a rep is you have a 45 second delay, to disarm it, then there's another 45 second delay before they call. So, thats a minute and a half someone is in your house and back out running down the street with you big screen TV. 

Message 6 of 14
Tutor

I appreciate all the responses. Personally, in my opinion I would like it to be instant call if alarm is triggered. Or better yet, a setting in the digital life app to have full control to set the delay or no delay for the call. It already has an entry and exit delay, why not have a call delay too?  That update should be in the next big roll out in the digital life app.  That would make it better.  

Message 7 of 14
Employee

You can call in and have your abort delay set to zero but beware of false alarm fines if you dont answer when the monitoring center calls you. Thats what it is there for to cut down on customers getting false alarm fines

Message 8 of 14
ACE - Guru

This also allows potential home invaders time to have you disarm the system before they loot your home, and kill your family.... Such a strange system...

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 14
Employee

Thats where your duress pin comes in and believe it or not abort delays are pretty much an industry standard

Message 10 of 14
Mentor

Just for clarification.. I believe AT&T's "Instant" setting behaves like all other alarm companies that I've used before. 

Stay or Away provides a countdown to turn alarm off if say front door or another entry door (garage to home) is triggered.  

Instant will sound alarm immediately if those same zones are broken but still allow time to disarm during alarm before call center reacts. 

I'd think alarm blaring would be enough to scare off potential intruders. 

Message 11 of 14
Teacher

When armed INSTANT,  the 45 second delay is not true..... this is very misleading and a lot of AT&T Support reps spew this false information.

The ABORT DELAY is what determines the amount of time you have to disarm the system before the monitoring center calls.  Yet most basic phone reps don't know or don't care enough to look into it.  They assume its the entry/exit delay on entry devices.  This is not true on Instant, but the Abort Delay is very real on Instant.  Much like the old "dialer delay" back when systems used phone lines to dial the center.  Be sure you're getting the facts.  The one time you need the alarm you want to ensure it works quickly. 

Mine apparently is 5 seconds,  haven't tested it in a long time.  It can be set to zero according to a knowledgeable local tech I spoke with. 

You really need to get a technician or phone support person who, 1) cares,  and 2) knows what the heck they're talking about.  Forgive my frustration but it gets very old when the basic-level tech support reps are seemingly trained on false information.  Know your system,  you pay a good amount of money for it and rely on it.  

Message 12 of 14
Scholar

i agree. instant should be instant!

Message 13 of 14
Scholar

if thats what we want let us worry about false alarm charges!

Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Assistance Needed?
Additional Support