Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Digital Life Z-Wave locks?

Mentor

Digital Life Z-Wave locks?

I have Digital Life and was wondering if I add a store-bought Z-Wave Schlage deadbolt to my front door, how do I ensure it connects to my Digital Life network? And operate the deadbolt via the Digital Life app?

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 13
Mentor
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by ATTJulieCS
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Assuming the door lock is compatible, you'd need to call Digital Life Support and have them put your system in discovery mode.  This will allow the system to see the new device so that they can add it.  They obviously won't do this unless you subscribe to the door package but I've had no issues adding compatible devices this way.  

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 13
Teacher

I was told att will not add equipment not bought from them. Is this true? I was wanting to add a few light switches with z wave which are 40 bucks for ge brand ones. Att wants 159 a piece for self install!!! And 259 is they install. I was wondering if you had any luck. I know this is an old post. I can understand a little mark up but they are not even in same ball park!
Message 3 of 13
Mentor

@aprilkane,

I bought an AT&T indoor motion camera and several windows sensors on Ebay and had absolutely no problem getting customer service to put the system in discovery mode to add them. I paid a LOT less than I would have through AT&T so it was well worth it. But keep in mind the devices must be the same brand/model as the ones AT&T sells.  You can't go buy a D-Link z-wave motion sensor and expect AT&T to add it.  But AT&T has recently announced partnerships with Lutron, Samsung and LG that is supposed to expand compatibility with additional off-the-shelf devices from those companies.

Message 4 of 13
Highlighted
Teacher

What brand are the att light switches?

Message 5 of 13
Mentor

@aprilkane,

Sorry but I haven't been able to figure that out.  They didn't offer the actual light switchs when I had my install done.  I have the little modules that are hardwired in behind the switch.  You could always try calling customer support to see if they will tell you the brand and model info.  

Message 6 of 13
Teacher

I think it's still same way. Just by looking at site. Control box

Thanks fore replying!

Message 7 of 13
Contributor

The Light switches are Jasco(GE) z wave switches.

I will be so happy when AT&T figures out that the money is in the monitoring and not in the devices. I could buy the light switch on Amazon for $39. but had to pay 159. from AT&T.

this will actually hurt them in the long run. The switches and plugs I do not understand but if you add a camera then I do kind of understand as it should be monitored through the service.

Message 8 of 13
Contributor

I found z-wave switches that are compatible with ATT Digital life at www.zwaveoutlet.com . They have a section that shows compatible devices for Digital Life. 

I bought a six pack of the jasco/GE switches with no problems using them. Same exact model ATT sells but for a quarter of the price.  

Message 9 of 13
Contributor

I want to the zwave web site and got a few switches for the add digital life page and the add system could find the switches but not make them work. what are the steps that you used to get the digital life and the light switchs to wrok?

thnks

Message 10 of 13
Tutor

ATT just told me the system comes back as the switch is not from ATT so it won't activate. How did you get them to override?

Message 11 of 13
Tutor

What is the exact model number of the switches you purchased that AT&T activated for you?

Message 12 of 13
Contributor

i purchased a schlage connect deadbolt and Digital Life was not able to add on discovery mode. 

so not all schlage zwave locks seem to be compatible. although this is the same lock they use during installations. I guess, they just want to sell you their own equipment. 

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Assistance Needed?
Additional Support