Explore & discover

Helpful Links

iOS 12 Wifi calling stopped working

Master

iOS 12 Wifi calling stopped working

Upon upgrade to iOS 12 today WIFI calling no longer works.  I checked all the settings and it's configured correctly.  It worked perfectly prior to the upgrade.   The upgrade installed new carrier settings 33.1.   Any tips or is this a bug?

Message 1 of 57
Tutor

Re: iOS 12 Wifi calling stopped working

The AT&T tech I spoke with said that they had a "few" complaints like ours
and that they would get back to me on Monday. Meanwhile, I pick up a new
iPhone today - once I restore it from an iCloud backup I'm sure the problem
will be on the new phone.
Message 31 of 57
Tutor

My problem has been solved!

Picked up my new iPhone today - the AT&T carrier settings were version 33.0. My other phone downloaded version 33.1 when I did the upgrade to ios 12. It is clear that the inability to use wifi calling is related to the carrier setting version. I will call AT&T support today and let them know.

Message 32 of 57
Tutor

I still have 33.0 and its working. So are you saying it’s the 33.1? Its now asking me to update my carrier settings and now im afraid too…

Message 33 of 57
Master

Great news!  I just got a carrier update to 33.2 and it instantly fixed the problem!   You can force it by going to Settings-->General-->About and it should prompt for it. 

Message 34 of 57
ACE - Professor

The 12.1 public beta is on 33.5.2. 

There’s nothing said afaik relative to release notes  😄

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 35 of 57
Tutor

I updated from 33.0 to 33.2 (the new update) and all is well. I think it was just 33.1 that messed things up.
Message 36 of 57
Tutor

I'm working again also on 33.2.

Thank goodness.

Message 37 of 57
Contributor

I just got 33.2 but still not working... When you guys check the carrier version in Settings>General>About>Carrier. Is it showing "AT&T 33.2". When you click it, the text "Carrier" changes to "IMS Status" and the value changes to SMS. This is quite strange to me. Looks like I've got an strange 33.2 version?

Message 38 of 57
Tutor

When I tap carrier it changes from 33.2 to “voice and SMS”
Message 39 of 57
ACE - Professor

I noticed that as well and is pretty vague. 

But if a carrier update setting is available, a pop up will happen. In your case it turns out the settings are up to date. 

When iOS 12.1 gets released, a new carrier settings will come with it. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 40 of 57
Contributor

Just got a Carrier Update and AT&T Wi-Fi calling is back!!

Message 41 of 57

Yes 33.2 fixes the wifi calling problem. 

Message 42 of 57
Contributor

If your router has 5.2g wifi, try wifi calling with 5.2g network.  I had the same problem.  wifi calling suddenly stop working.  By chance I switch my network to 5.2g and wifi calling become active again.  It worked for me.  Hopefully it will work for you.

Message 43 of 57
Tutor

Just to add my $0.02.

My Phone

iPhone 8 running latest version of iOS 12

Carrier Settings = 33.2

Wi-Fi calling no longer works. I noticed this with the last iOS 11.x upgrade too and, I think, the carrier settings were 33.1 but I can't be 100% certain about that.

When I tap carrier it changes from "33.2" to “SMS”

My Wife's Phone

iPhone 8 running latest version of iOS 12

Carrier Settings = 33.0

Wi-Fi calling still works.

I didn't see what happens when I tap carrier on my wife's phone but I assume it's "voice and SMS" (I can check that later)

I have tried almost everything falling short of restoring to factory default settings. Two identical phones with the same OS but different carrier settings kinda proves that this is an AT&T issue. I know this has nothing to do with my home network as I have the exact same problems at work.

Is there a way to revert back from 33.2 to 33.0 because that would appear to be the fix for me. I see other people reporting success with the 33.2 upgrade but not for me.

AT&T -- get this fixed!

Message 44 of 57
Tutor

After upgrading to iOS 12.1 I got new carrier settings and things seem to be working now. I tested by switching to airplane mode, which worked, and I will try again later where I have no cell coverage.

Message 45 of 57
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support