Get the myAT&T app
JohnTom's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, December 31st, 2017 9:57 PM

WiFi Calling on and off

we have weak cell service and do not get a signal typically.  We use WiFi calling but the service isn't always working.  Sometimes it's on and sometimes it's off.  It's probably not working more than 50% if the time.  Our internet is super fast and has no issues.  We replace the WiFi gateway and still experience the same issues.  Any solutions, talking to AT&T is a nightmare.  I was on the phone with 10 different agents 3 days ago for four hours.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Actually it depends on the OEM...  Each has its own threshold.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I think I need to check whether ports are open for Wifi Calling.  Here is a link to AT&T Wifi Calling LAN and VPN configuration

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1114459

(edited)

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

My WiFi calling is on and off always, works great on long call and then it doesn’t work and the icon is gone. I use it in airplane mode in my house here. I have been in Costa Rica for 4 months with my iPhone 7 and tried everything the CSR’s asked of me. Many many calls to CSR.hours wasted trying.  None worked. Including full reset and restore of the phone. I know it’s not my WiFi as my girl friends Sprint iPhone 7 has been perfect for the 4 months. And WhatsApp works perfectly all the time.  I just can’t understand why the ATT customer service can’t get me going. I will have to switch to sprint I guess.  I am open to any suggestions before switching from att. 

Any ideas would be appreciated before I give up.  I have the latest 11.3 now. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

My phone won't allow me to make a phone call in airplane mode with Wi-Fi on. It forces me to take it out of airplane mode for the call to go through. Any suggestions?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

This solution does not work. We also only get random "At&T Wi-Fi" service. So far, all proposed solutions are not working. Our situation is that, in the middle of Dallas, Texas, We can only get one bar cell coverage in the house -- two bar standing at the end of the driveway. So, we tried MCell, which worked intermittently. Now that it is being phased out, we have upgraded to iphone7s to use wifi calling. That works randomly at best.

Yesterday, I actually made and received calls via "At&T Wi-Fi" that remained connected. This morning, "At&T Wi-Fi" showed on my phone. The second I tried to make a call, it went to "no service." I leave for an errand: the phone works great on the road. When I come back, cellular off, the phone connects to the router right away, but no "AT&T Wi-Fi."

For weeks we have tried all the solutions, including the ridiculously inane "turn to airplane mode and back." We are already in the habit of turning off cellular at our home/offices. So, sometimes we get "At&T Wi-Fi". Other times, like today, we repeatedly try all the forum suggestions, waiting up to 35 minutes for them to take effect, and we get nothing but "no service".

Yes, we have rebooted the phones and the router. Yes, we have wifi calling-capable phones. Yes, we have cellular off. Yes, we have gone to airplane mode and back, and sometimes stayed in airplane mode (as was suggested in a forum). Yes, our new Netgear modem is properly configured. The result is, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. This is just great. I cannot be called to help my aging mother. I cannot call others for help. We are stranded -- in the freaking middle of Dallas -- with no wireless phone service.

That means we have to go back to a landline, which is also being phased out. This also means we have to contact everybody in the world to use multiple numbers to find us. 

By the way, while I am writing this, after over 30 minutes past my last reboot, "AT&T Wi-Fi" shows on my phone. Dare I try to make a call?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

AT&T person, 

You have a legitmate question going on in this thread and there isn't any response.  I have the same problem.  I have to leave my phone in Airplane mode to use the wireless calling because otherwise my phone will try to use the weak cellular signal (half the time). To force it to use the wireless signal (which is strong) I put it in airplane mode.  But 70% of the time the Wireless Calling doesn't engage, even though its turned on.  Why is it so spotty? When it works, it works great.   You guys don't even sell the cellular signal boosters anymore because the Wireless Calling is supposed to be the big solution.  Please help.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Solution. First turn on airplane mode. Then turn on Wi-Fi. Then use any app
that engages the Wi-Fi before you use your phone. If you follow that order,
the phone should work.

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

6 years ago

I have went into my IPhone  Settings > Cellular > Wi-Fi Assist (bottom of screen) and disable. This way the weak cellular signal will not conflict with the WiFi signal. Android devices may have this option different than the IPhone. Have not have a problem since doing this. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

That solution seems very promising.  Thanks!!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

That does seem to help.  Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.