Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Wi-fi calling stopped working

Highlighted

Wi-fi calling stopped working

We live in a rural area with poor service. Wi-fi calling is a godsend. It has worked splendidly until about a week ago. Now, even when we have a strong wi-fi signal, there is "no service", i.e. no wi-fi calling, on any of our phones (iphone 6s). We can neither make nor receive calls. We've rebooted our router and phones - no change. The wi-fi speed test shows ample capacity. Please help.
Message 1 of 47
ACE - Sage

Re: Wi-fi calling stopped working

There was a recent carrier update which seems to have effected many phones in this way.  

Call ATT and ask for advanced tech support.  Make sure account and phones are provisioned correct on ATT end.  Hopefully they will have the solution without further fiddling.  

You can try: 

power cycle the phones or hard reboot. 

Set up wifi calling again.

back up and reset your phones.  Set up as new with backup. 

If no joy, contact Apple and ATT again.  

Apple also has its own forum, you might check to see if there is a fix via Apple.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 47
Contributor

Hi walker2174,

I recommend using out excellent Troubleshoot & Resolve tool, which provides a series of simple steps to fix network problems.  Make sure to select your phone’s make and model > Service/Network issues > Phone calls > Wi-Fi calling.

best baby jumper

Message 3 of 47

Thanks. We already did that, but the issue was not resolved. My guess is
that the problem has something to do with new network settings that AT&T
pushed out to our phones recently. We had no issues with wi-fi calling
before that update.
Message 4 of 47
ACE - Expert

@lizdance40 wrote:

There was a recent carrier update which seems to have effected many phones in this way.  

I don't understand why they haven't pulled this update. Even if they don't know the fix, update the version number on the old update so that it replaces this broken update with the previous one.

I keep saying "not now" for the update on my iPhone, but one of these days I'm accidentally going to bump "ok".

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 47
ACE - Sage

@Gary L. It's also a darned if you do, darned if you don't update.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 6 of 47
ACE - Expert

@lizdance40 wrote:

@Gary L. It's also a darned if you do, darned if you don't update.  

I'm not really sure what I'm "missing" by not applying.  Everything seems good and I see lots of people complaining...

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 7 of 47
ACE - Expert

I wonder how many phones have a problem? I accepted the update when it first came out. No issues with wifi calling or anything else on an iPhone 6s and SE.

Message 8 of 47
ACE - Expert

@sandblaster It seems like I've seen a lot more on this last one, usually there are a few rumbles, (but I don't always know if there are actual connections between the two) this time it seems like more complaints.

Message 9 of 47
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by walker2174
‎06-30-2017 4:26 AM

SOLUTION: Turn on Airplane mode + Wi-fi. This forces your phone to stay on wi-fi calling. Service is clear and stable with this setting combo.

My research revealed that AT&T's service hierarchy prefers a cellular connection, rather than wi-fi. I live in a rural area with weak, spotty cellular signals. After the latest carrier update, my phone would abruptly drop my wi-fi calling connection every time it detected a cellular signal, no matter how weak. The cellular connection would quickly falter, and I would be left with "No Service".

To re-establish wi-fi calling, I needed to restart my phone. But, wi-fi service would be disrupted as soon as my phone detected a (weak) cellular signal. The cellular signal would inevitably fade and I'd be back in the land of "No Service" -- again. Vicious cycle. Putting my phone in Airplane mode + Wi-fi fixed the problem.
Tags (1)
Message 10 of 47
Tutor

New phone, cell service has degraded over years at home with 2 or less bars so they say wifi calling will help....Nope what is the point as it does not work at all!! even with 1 bar wifi calling should work.....this is definitely a bogus system enhancement.  Why should cell service get worse over time as they are always adding towers???

Message 11 of 47
ACE - Expert

@raven277 wrote:

New phone, cell service has degraded over years at home with 2 or less bars so they say wifi calling will help....Nope what is the point as it does not work at all!! even with 1 bar wifi calling should work.....this is definitely a bogus system enhancement.  

Are you actually on wifi? You can check web pages or stream audio/video?

WiFi calling works great for me when I'm in buildings with no reception.

Why should cell service get worse over time as they are always adding towers???

More customers added and most customers using more data.

Message 12 of 47
Tutor

I am on wifi home and work.   And no signal calls are garbled or go to voice mail.
Message 13 of 47
ACE - Sage

@raven277

Wifi calling is NOT Wifi.  Wifi calling is not on by default.  

Which phone do you have and we can direct you how to turn on this feature.

If you have 2 bars, you may have sufficient cell service for calls to be routed through cellular.  As in the solution, you would have to force Wifi calling.  

Message 14 of 47
Tutor

I think i know wifi calling is not wifi.  And i have turned wifi calling on and oof, restarted phone. Etc...still lousy signsl with calls. Fyi the router is in same room as i am still terrible 
Message 15 of 47
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support