For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
txshocker's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, January 10th, 2015 2:57 PM

Wi-Fi Calling

Will At&t be offering wi-fi calling like T mobile does any time soon? I live in a remote area with poor cell service. Even with a cell phone booster, I can only get one bar. Some times I can get or receive text messages but most calls will not come through. When watching the commercials that T mobile shows using wi-fi calling with the I phones it makes me want to switch. Why would At&t not offer this service as well?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

When will AT&T enable wifi calling on devices other than iPhone?  Why is this feature restricted to iPhone with other mobile OS's also have built in support for Wifi calling?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

The iPhone 6, 6+, 6s, and 6s+ are the only phones currently capable of using AT&T's WiFi-C.  I haven't heard anything yet regarding the inclusion of Android phones onto the WiFi-C platform.  iOs is a locked-down OS and all iPhones have the same OS, so it was easier for AT&T to set up WiFi-C on the Apple OS first.  The Android OS is open-sourced so every Android phone manufacturer has their own variation of it.  Android phone manufacturers will have to work with AT&T to iron out those issues before their phones will be able to use WiFi-C.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

When I try to enable Wi-Fi calling on my new iPhone SE, I get the following annoying message 

"Oops! We can't turn on Wi-Fi Calling for your account. Think this message is a mistake?"  If the service was already available last year, then I'm surprised that it seems to still be not available in San Antonio, TX as of April, 2016.  Any suggestions as to what might be the problem here?  The phone is running iOS 9.3.

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

So why doesnt ATT , just work on the most popular android phone, like Samsung S7 , and S6.  I would think that would be part of selling the new android.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

You may be running the most current iOS but unfortunately, your phone is not WiFi capable on AT&T's network.  iPhone 6, 6s, 6+, and 6s+ are the only phones that can use WiFi-C at this time.

I have seen no information as to if/when Android phones will be included.  The open-source Android OS is a lot messier than iOS since there are so many variations of it on a plethora of phones.

Perhaps someday.....but don't hold your breath.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@Avedis53 wrote:

You may be running the most current iOS but unfortunately, your phone is not WiFi capable on AT&T's network.  iPhone 6, 6s, 6+, and 6s+ are the only phones that can use WiFi-C at this time.

I have seen no information as to if/when Android phones will be included.  The open-source Android OS is a lot messier than iOS since there are so many variations of it on a plethora of phones.

@Avedis53

The new iPhone SE can do wifi calling...

Capture.JPG

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

So, anyone have any ideas as to why I'm getting that message?  With the implication that something about my account would need to be changed?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

@Avedis53 wrote:

@Avedis53

The new iPhone SE can do wifi calling...

Capture.JPG

It definitely can. I enabled it on my wife's brand new SE on Saturday. It took me a couple of attempts but it worked. 

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@jennatx wrote:

So, anyone have any ideas as to why I'm getting that message?  With the implication that something about my account would need to be changed?

I got a slightly different error message but wifi calling finally enabled after the third attempt. I'm not sure if it is needed but it wouldn't work for me until I was on wifi and I verified I could connect to the Internet. I was having some home wifi problems the first few attempts. 

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

Didn't see the fine print on the website....my bad.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.