For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
txshocker's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, January 10th, 2015 2:57 PM

Wi-Fi Calling

Will At&t be offering wi-fi calling like T mobile does any time soon? I live in a remote area with poor cell service. Even with a cell phone booster, I can only get one bar. Some times I can get or receive text messages but most calls will not come through. When watching the commercials that T mobile shows using wi-fi calling with the I phones it makes me want to switch. Why would At&t not offer this service as well?

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

9 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76

Good catch! It's fixed now.

Scholar

• 

77 Messages

9 years ago

Wi-Fi calling is up and running, I live 50 miles east of Little Rock, AR. They turned it on here about 30 minutes ago. can make calls in the airplane mode.  YAAY!!

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

9 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 I understand that I am not likely to get an answer here.  I wouldn't mind if AT&T discussed this with one of the leading Apple fan forums (MacRumors, etc...) or a tech blog, like The Verge.  I think that keeping silent about things like this are what alienate users from these companies.  These are not state secrets. 

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

9 years ago

Good news, Here in Rockwall TX, I was abke to activate Wi-fi calling today on my IPhone 6 and running latest IOS operating system.. Thank you

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I was able to activate AT&T Wi-Fi Calling on my iPhone 6S Plus successfully. However, it will not work with Optimum Online - something is off. If I connect to a different public network (other than Optimum/Optimumwifi), the AT&T Wi-Fi is displayed on my phone. However, when I switch to Optimum Online/Optimumwifi, AT&T Wi-Fi is not displayed. The strange thing is that while I am connected to Optimum, I changed the DNS server on my phone to the one provided by Google (8.8.8.8) and then AT&T Wi-Fi is displayed. I reached out to Optimum and they could not troubleshoot this as they need to know the domain name and port numbers that the AT&T Wi-Fi service is using. Can you provide this information?

Thank you!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

Changing dns means there is something wrong with the dns servers optimum is
using.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Exactly my thoughts. But they could not investigate without specific domain name and port numbers. They mentioned to wait a few days and if it's still not fixed, to contact them. Is it possible that their DNS servers haven't been updated with the new AT&T domain name/ports that the service is using?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

Yelp there is some thing missing on their name servers.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

For you iPhone 5s and 5c users wondering about when AT&T will include these phones under the WiFi-C, the answer is they will not be.

Verbatim from an AT&T statement made this morning at our Community Exchange forum: 

AT&T's implementation of Wi-Fi Calling leverages the same core network as our VoLTE technology (HD Voice). Unfortunately the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c do not support VoLTE.  When designing a network to support the services of tomorrow we find ourselves making tough choices, often along technology lines.

As to when Android users with WiFi-C capable phones will be able to use this service:

Yes, we did say we would launch Wi-Fi Calling in 2015 and the first devices to support Wi-Fi Calling have been launched as promised (iPhone 6 and above). I am glad to see there is interest in the service and having it available on other devices. I can assure you that work is being done to that end as quickly as possible we are just not in a position to comment on timing as of yet. Wi-Fi Calling is a complex solution that allows access to AT&T services over open internet connections. We need to ensure the solution is secure and that customers can be properly authenticated onto the network to protect customers and AT&T assets alike.

As I gather more information during the Exchange, I will post here.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

There have been many reports concerning WiFi-C and connection issues when trying to call from a WiFi-C enabled iPhone 6 or 6s to other older iPhones.  The callee can't hear the caller, the caller is hearing severely garbled voice and then the call drops.

According to AT&T updating the iOS on iPhones down to the 4s model to iOS 9.1 will correct the problem.  I have not verified this to be true yet.

All iPhones that can run iOS 9.1 need to be updated for this solution to work.

Please post your results after installing the new iOS.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.