Get the myAT&T app
Foghorn-'s profile

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

Saturday, April 23rd, 2011 9:24 AM

Voice calls from number ending in 33 construed as PTT

From out of the mire of transition from Alltel cries Foghorn of his conundrum:

Was transitioned recently from Alltel CDMA network and phones to at&t GSM network and phones. Two lines, two brand new Samsung Rugby II phones together on a shared plan.

Let's say line A is 406-555-1233 and line B is 406-555-1234. These numbers are partially made up but both are really area code 406 and line A really does end with 33. Both numbers were ported from Verizon to Alltel years ago so they aren't "natural" AT&T numbers.

Everything works fine except one thing which is driving me crazy and will amount to a deal-breaker if I can't resolve it. When PTT is enabled on line B, it can't receive regular voice calls from line A (the one ending in 33). When I send a regular voice call from line A to line B, line B receives it as a PTT call. Line B kicks right into PTT mode and displays the incoming PTT icon with the "from" number as all but the last two digits (33) of the line A number, i.e. "+140655512" instead of "+14065551233".

It doesn't matter if PTT is enabled or disabled on line A phone. It doesn't matter whether any contacts are set up in PTT on line B phone. All that matters is whether PTT is enabled or disable on line B phone. If it's enabled on line B phone, regardless of everything else, line B phone receives voice calls from line A phone as PTT, saying the incoming PTT call is from a non-existent number which is all but the last 2 digits (33) of line A number. Speaker kicks on automatically and enunciates everything picked up by the mic of the line A phone even though line A remains in voice mode!

When PTT is enabled and contacts set up on both phones, PTT itself works fine and voice calling from line B to line A also works fine and voice calling from line A and line B to/from other phones all works fine.

But only when PTT is disabled on line B phone will it properly receive a voice call from line A phone. I think it has something to do with line A ending in 33. I've seen old forum correspondences that indicate that Cingular definitely used "33" in the process of signalling the PTT function.

Been through all the usual motions with both phones. Power cycling, resetting, restoring both phones. AT&T customer service ran me through all the motions again to no avail. Asked for and got a level 2 tech who ran me through the usual motions again to no avail. Feeling part of the problem to be the 33 at the end of the line A number, I asked level 2 tech if I could switch line A to an AT&T natural number. She said yes but it would cost $38. Said only way someone can switch number without ponying up is if they are receiving harrassing calls.

If I swap SIM cards between the 2 phones, problem switches direction with SIM cards. Problem is always line B, if PTT enabled, construing regular voice call from line A as a PTT call from a non-existent number that is line A's number less the last two digits (33).

Am willing to switch line A number if I knew that would solve it but don't want to risk $38 without knowing for sure.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

13 years ago

Never mind. Problem gone. No problem after all.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

13 years ago

Foghorn cries out loud again.

Just to clarify, what I mean by regular voice call is simply a regular dialup call.

Also, symptoms are not tied to one phone or the other. Swapping SIM cards between phones proves problem is always the non-33-ending phone number, with PTT enabled, receiving dialup calls from 33-ending number as PTT regardless of which phone has which number/SIM card.

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

13 years ago

Never mind. Problem gone. No problem after all.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.