Get the myAT&T app
ply17410GM's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, March 24th, 2016 5:30 PM

VoLTE and HD Voice Unlocked Phones

Has anyone had success with tier III support enabling these features on a compatible (just not AT&T sanctioned) device?

I'm a bit preturbed that the AT&T BYOD page, when putting in the IMEI of my new Sony Xperia Z5 (E6653) says "Congratulations, your phone is compatible" in big bold letters .... but no mention of features that may be lacking.  This phone supports all LTE Advanced calling features, bands and standards.

Thanks,

Bob H

Minneapolis, MN

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40

You can enable the ability to set the SIM switch, by using the 4636 hidden menu (I can  give more details, but I think they're not okay on the forum, because technically it's outside of "normal operation").

After the switch is enabled through that menu, then you go into the (regular/normal) SIM menu, and simply "set the VoLTE" switch to "ON", which has "magically" appeared ;-]

My fave app, for checking this, is "Network Cell Info Lite", which has a SIM stats page (along with other great tools, but can drain your battery, fast, if left running in the background).  On the SIM stats, it shows things like VoLTE and VoWiFi being enabled and/or working.

NewB?  Sheesh, what's that make me then? ;-]

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

"You can enable the ability to set the SIM switch"

@pgrey Any chance you can share this information somewhere outside of these forums? VERY interested!

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @ply17410GM!

Welcome to the Community Forums!
At this time, certain AT&T brand-specific features will not be available with non-AT&T devices, however we hope to expand these services in the future. I really appreciate your feedback regarding the BYOP site not mentioning this, and it has been submitted to the appropriate channels. Please refer to att.com/hdvoice for feature updates and a list of compatible devices.
Thanks,
Rachel A
AT&T Social Media Manager.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

Att adds stuff to the os for hdvoice which can't be added to your device till they decide to support hdvoice on other phones. Even the nexus devices can't use it.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

AT&T pratices to make it inconvinience to the customer ..so as frustation they hope us to buy their devices.  Coz if they disclose about the limitations of BYOD compatible features then, it would turn away the new customers.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@AVAYKTM wrote:

AT&T pratices to make it inconvinience to the customer ..so as frustation they hope us to buy their devices.  Coz if they disclose about the limitations of BYOD compatible features then, it would turn away the new customers.

That's the benefit of BYOD, you don't owe AT&T anything and since there is no contract, you can check out to see if other carriers offer that feature for you and easily switch!

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

The FCC states that voice calls is the only thing that is required to work on a non-branded phone. That's it. Voice calls.

VOLTE, WiFi calling, Video Calling, are luxuries essentially. Not having VOLTE doesn't affect the ability to use the network for voice calls. It's an enhanced feature for branded phones essentially.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

i guess with that perception ..its more like bring smartphone and get unsmart features..

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

I'll give the same advice I do to everyone else. Vote with your wallet. These types of policies won't change overnight, if at all. It's how it's always been. So the only thing I can say is go with the carrier that does fit that need.

If VOLTE and BYOD is critical then AT&T isn't going to fit that need. It's all about what you need in a carrier. Can't move mountains but you can voice your displeasure with this by voting with your wallet.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

7 years ago

@AVAYKTM

Youll never miss it.  The Sony z5 is an awesome camera phone.  

I have both a branded and non branded phone.   There is no perceivable difference in voice quality.  I prefer the non branded because all the features on the phone work.  No bloat

VoLTE is all hype no substance.   Verizon needed it because without it, you couldn't call and browse at the same time, something ATT users have always been able to do.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40Agreed, VoLTE is difficult to distinguish, although you can telll, say if you get two calls back-back.  I notice, because I call on my Ooma device at home (good high-quality VOIP), and then use my cell.  The cell is still a very good coversation but the Ooma calls (if good on both ends) almost seem like the person is there.

The big (HUGE) win though, is having WiFi Calling and Texting.  This one is key for me, particularly winter weekends, when we're often at a locale where we only have WiFi most of the day (or a Verizon tower, they only cell that works, nearby).

Every other major carrier allows this now, even on prepaid, both the other players allow BYOD AND pre-paid OR post-paid, any combination is pretty much possible.

I agree @AVAYKTM, my saying is "bring your own hobbled devcie", which is unfortunate.

I hope that AT&T fixes this, my wife's sort of stuck a line in the sand, saying we need to have workable service on the weekend, either WiFi call/text, or the other carrier.  I'm really, really hoping AT&T will get a clue here, and at least catch up, soon...

I like AT&T, over the options, for many reasons, and don't want to "vote with my wallet", ugh.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.