For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
LoyaltyNoValue's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, January 6th, 2016 10:02 PM

Unlock Phone on a payment plan for loyal customer w/ good payment history.

I work in Canada 6 months out of the year.  There is no ATT service in Canada so I purchase service through a local provider in Canada while there.  I purchased an iPhone 6s on a payment plan a year ago and requested it be unlocked even though it was on a payment plan on the weight of there being no ATT service in Canada and my stellar 15+year relationship with ATT.  ATT allowed it and also allowed it on a previous occasion a year previous.   I upgraded my phone for Christmas and again put it on a payment plan.  I approached ATT to request the phone be unlocked so I may use it for work in Canada.  ATT is adamantly refusing to unlock the phone siting that it's on a payment plan.  While I understand the phone is on a payment plan, I hoped my stellar relationship with ATT for over 15 years and there being no issues with paying out the payment plan on two previous occasions and there being no ATT service in Canada would allow this one necessary allowance.  All policies are subject to deviation under the right circumstances.   It is so frustrating to deal with customer service associates who read from scripts and aren't empowered to do the right thing.  The history, in this case,  shows you're not putting your company at risk.  I have paid you for 15 years so why would unlocking this phone change that?   You've unlocked two previous phones and I've never NOT paid you.  So you're basically sticking to your policy cause you don't value my business.  Any suggestions, other than pay the phone off?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@LoyaltyNoValue wrote:

I work in Canada 6 months out of the year.  There is no ATT service in Canada so I purchase service through a local provider in Canada while there.  I purchased an iPhone 6s on a payment plan a year ago and requested it be unlocked even though it was on a payment plan on the weight of there being no ATT service in Canada and my stellar 15+year relationship with ATT.  ATT allowed it and also allowed it on a previous occasion a year previous.   I upgraded my phone for Christmas and again put it on a payment plan.  I approached ATT to request the phone be unlocked so I may use it for work in Canada.  ATT is adamantly refusing to unlock the phone siting that it's on a payment plan.  While I understand the phone is on a payment plan, I hoped my stellar relationship with ATT for over 15 years and there being no issues with paying out the payment plan on two previous occasions and there being no ATT service in Canada would allow this one necessary allowance.  All policies are subject to deviation under the right circumstances.   It is so frustrating to deal with customer service associates who read from scripts and aren't empowered to do the right thing.  The history, in this case,  shows you're not putting your company at risk.  I have paid you for 15 years so why would unlocking this phone change that?   You've unlocked two previous phones and I've never NOT paid you.  So you're basically sticking to your policy cause you don't value my business.  Any suggestions, other than pay the phone off?

Payoff the phone is about it...  The problem is not you its the people who did abuse the system and now there is a ridgid system in place that they will not deviate from.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

Yes, payoff the phone.  

If your life is all back and forth for 6 months at a time, porting your number to google voice and using a prepaid ATT or other plan makes more sense.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.