Samsung Gallexy S4 help - Wi-Fi Calling?

Contributor

Samsung Gallexy S4 help - Wi-Fi Calling?

I just got a new gallexy S4 through AT&T, new contract. I had T mobil before and on my t mobil I had Wifi Calling which was great. The app when using the phone, if picking up Wifi would connect your calls through wifi when you have a weak 4G signal so you don't drop calls. I am having trouble finding this app to work with the S4. Does anyone know of this app for the S4 & or AT&T. The only one I have found so far wants you to use their software for dialing your calls. The app I had before just works with your wifi but you still use all he phones software. I can't find this. Help!! I'm in a basement appartment and really need this app.

Message 1 of 2

Re: Samsung Gallexy S4 help

Hello mhelm,

T-Mobile's Wi-Fi Calling uses a technolgy called UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access)/GAN (Generic Access Networks) which allows seamless transitions from carrier WANs (Wireless Area Networks: GSM/HSPA/etc) and LANs (Local Area Networks: Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/etc). T-Mobile's Wi-Fi Calling works by connecting and registering your device on T-Mobile's core network. Upon authentication, T-Mobile routes carrier data (calls, text messages, etc) over Wi-Fi to T-Mobile's core network, and routes it via their wireless network outside of Wi-Fi. In order for your device to determine which route to take, it requires specialized hardware and software, which is why only certain T-Mobile branded phones are capable of Wi-Fi Calling. Due to AT&T's lack of UMA/GAN support, their phones don't have the necessary hardware/firmware. 

You could consider investing in an AT&T MicroCell, if it's available in your area. The MicroCell, rather than your phone, is connects to your home-internet connection and registers on AT&T's core network. Similarly to T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling, it routes all data over your home internet connection, but unlike T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling, it emits a cellular signal to increase in-home coverage. 

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 2
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support