For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
Rockstar57's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, June 25th, 2017 10:28 PM

SIM Swap loses hotspot on both devices

I have a Samsung GS8+ and an iPhone 7. When I switch SIMS, putting say the iPhone SIM in the GS8+ and vice versa, both phones lose hotspot. I have a unlimited plan that includes 10GB data for tethering. What do I need to do to solve this? I switch the two lines frequently as only one line let's me number synch with my Gear Frontier watch.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

You will have to call everytime you swap that SIM and have it fixed. Data plan and hotspot provisioning is different for iPhone and Android. So you pop a SIM into an iPhone from an Android device, it changes IMEIs in the system and creates a mismatch.

The system isn't really setup for these types of changes frequently. You'll simply have to call 611 and have it manually fixed everytime you move between phones.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Rockstar57  It might be IMEI or device dependent to have the hotspot working.  There might not be a solution.

Do you have access to another Samsung GS8+ or iPhone 7 to see what happens when you put the appropriate SIM in there?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

If I switch them back they work fine. AT&T support had said there was a page to access to initiate the swap but I can't remember what it was.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary LIt happens because whenever a SIM card moves between OS types it creates an IMEI mismatch. Hotspot and Data for iPhone and Hotspot and Data for Android are different access codes in the provisioning system.

It may get mobile data, since APNs are pretty much the same. But hotspot, VOLTE, etc....those won't work until it's manually corrected

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@David606 wrote:

@Gary LIt happens because whenever a SIM card moves between OS types it creates an IMEI mismatch. Hotspot and Data for iPhone and Hotspot and Data for Android are different access codes in the provisioning system.

Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. Also why I asked if they had identical devices that were accessible, was to see if it was the provisioning that might be the issue.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.