For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
yeahno's profile

Mentor

• 

9 Messages

Friday, October 6th, 2017 11:04 PM

Pixel / Pixel 2 / VoLTE / Wifi Calling / HD Voice

I don't expect an answer here, I mean I've gone back and forth with ATT "support" for a while on this one and I am at the point where I'm done.  But, I wanted to state this in the public forums because I know (based on threads here) that I'm not the only person annoyed by the ignorance set forth by not allowing phones to participate in HD Voice / VoLTE / Wifi calling.  I currently own an OG Google Pixel XL and have recently ordered the XL 2.  I pay a premium for service from ATT and both the other two large carriers support both the OG Pixel and the new one with those features.  So... I'll vote with my wallet.

If ATT chooses to continue to have the stance that they will harbor critical functionality that I'm paying for and I do not receive a credit for not being able to use - then I guess you don't want customers like myself.  Customers who's monthly bill is over $170/month, customers who use DirectTV Now at over $65/month and a customer who has been with ATT since 2011.  I will gladly drop all of those services because there are options.  Do I like the service?  In general - yes.  But I'm not going to continue to pay premiums and have a carrier dictate I have to buy a phone, that I don't want, to get a feature my phone already supports.

So...  Best of luck ATT.  I hope someone on the inside understands the point here.  I'm not the first, or the last to complain about this.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Um the proper code is missing from the ims file so yes it's on both att and Google.  Just because something works on one carrier does not mean it will work on another.  Att cant just patch a non branded att phone sorry it does not work like that.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

You are not alone.  ATT is also the only carrier to not allow prepaid to use WiFi calling.  

I can safely say nothing has changed.  ATT still only allows Android phones that are ATT branded to use WiFi calling. 

If I had other choices at the same price, or even close, I would join you.  😒.  

Rumor is Verizon has a 2 year exclusive.  Maybe next year other carriers will have the Pixel also.  

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

7 years ago

You're not alone, here's another frustrated customer on ATT prepaid USING and ATT branded Samsung S6 yet not able to get HDVoice/VoLTE.  It totally stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whenever I make a call, the connection drops back down to a regular 4G, which by the way has terrible coverage in my area, while LTE is strong.
Is it really that hard to offer VoLTE service to prepaid customers, and in the process saving bandwidth on the old 4G network?

And I'm not even using a non-ATT phone, but a real ATT branded Samsung S6, with the latest firmware update (Aug 2017 release).
I'm seriously considering switching to Tmo prepaid because they DO in fact offer VoLTE service even on prepaid, as I have actually tested it on a friend's phone.
So listen up AT&T, VoLTE for prepaid or a lost customer(s). Your choice, while I DO have a choice.

Thanks for your consideration.
Bill

p.s. For those who like the ATT coverage but unable to get HDVoice, there's a workaround by porting your number out to GoogleVoice and run the Google app for making HD/VoIP calls.  Yes it's a bit of a hassle, but it does work, till ATT gets their act together.

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

7 years ago

I have been an At&t customer longer than its been At&t...meaning I go way back to the early 90's when it was Cellular One I think.  I have had the same phone number and never changed carriers.  That's is until I get the Pixel 2's I just ordered through Verizon.  I really liked my Windows 950 phones but the selection of app's sucks.  At&t did some cell tower changes and our phones no longer work at home at all yet our son's Verizon phone works fine.   Three years ago we made our annual trip to a remote location in eastern Oregon, a place we have been going for almost 50 years and had At&t cell phone coverage for the last 20 years.  Well to our surprise At&t had shut down the cell service there as well...but again the Verizon phones in our party worked fine.  So as soon as the new Pixel 2's show up in the couple of weeks it will be Verizon Android and no more At&t Windows.  At&t is reducing their rural coverage, at least in Oregon. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

For what's it worth. I've asked this question twice. The first time the answer was suspiciously vague and the answer was "Yes we support the Pixel 2*". I asked what the asterisk was for but only got a response "the Pixel 2 is a new phone, the Pixel is old". Strangly when I requested a transcript of the chat it was never emailed.

I chatted again today (printed the transcript but this one email came through). I guess we'll see...

Steve : What can I be pleased to do for you today?
Jim : Hello Steve, just a quick question. If I purchase a new pixel 2 from google, will at&t support VoLTE and WiFi calling on that phone? Thanks!
Steve : I will be more than pleased to check this for you.
Jim : Thank you!
Steve : It is all my pleasure.
Steve : Thanks for your patience.
Steve : Jim, I checked and this will be supported for VoLTE, however the WiFi calling will be restricted.
Jim : Thanks, do you know if number sync will work with it then? I purchased an LG Watch Sport from AT&T last May but I can't use the number sync feature because of missing VoLTE.
Steve : Yes, the Number Sync will also work.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

We can only hope support is better with this phone than with my unlocked Sony phones (support non-existent). My Pixel 2 is on its way, so I hope AT&T gets their act together. If not, I'll be happy to jump to T-Mobile and get their "Pixel refund". Oh, and I'm also a very old customer circa Cellular One days. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@jrbmobile wrote:

For what's it worth. I've asked this question twice. The first time the answer was suspiciously vague and the answer was "Yes we support the Pixel 2*". I asked what the asterisk was for but only got a response "the Pixel 2 is a new phone, the Pixel is old". Strangly when I requested a transcript of the chat it was never emailed.

I chatted again today (printed the transcript but this one email came through). I guess we'll see...

Steve : What can I be pleased to do for you today?
Jim : Hello Steve, just a quick question. If I purchase a new pixel 2 from google, will at&t support VoLTE and WiFi calling on that phone? Thanks!
Steve : I will be more than pleased to check this for you.
Jim : Thank you!
Steve : It is all my pleasure.
Steve : Thanks for your patience.
Steve : Jim, I checked and this will be supported for VoLTE, however the WiFi calling will be restricted.
Jim : Thanks, do you know if number sync will work with it then? I purchased an LG Watch Sport from AT&T last May but I can't use the number sync feature because of missing VoLTE.
Steve : Yes, the Number Sync will also work.

@jrbmobile

that chat rep has no CLUE....  Numbersync wont work without enhanced LTE services and the pixel 2 cant use those...  Volte does not work either....  

Mentor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Since originally posting this I've had two tickets open with ATT.  Both for the same thing - provision VoLTE / Wifi Calling on my two lines with Pixel XL 1.  My new Pixel XL 2 devices arrive tomorrow and I wanted this squared away.  This is what happened...

• First ticket: opened, ATT stated an engineer was assigned to it.  The ticket was opened mid-week (Wed) and support stated I'd have a call back by Sunday (I requested a call either way).  Fast forward to the following Tuesday, opened a chat with ATT.  They informed me the ticket was closed with no response from engineering.  I told them to reopen.
  • Second ticket: Stated I wanted a call back and that if I didn't receive one within 48 hours I would cancel all service.  No call.

ATT doesn't seem to care about customers using non-branded devices and leveraging services that other carriers (TMo) provide without asking.  I've cancelled all service and am enjoying insanely clear HD calls and superior data services including VoLTE.  My only regret is I didn't leave ATT sooner!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@yeahno wrote:

Since originally posting this I've had two tickets open with ATT.  Both for the same thing - provision VoLTE / Wifi Calling on my two lines with Pixel XL 1.  My new Pixel XL 2 devices arrive tomorrow and I wanted this squared away.  This is what happened...

• First ticket: opened, ATT stated an engineer was assigned to it.  The ticket was opened mid-week (Wed) and support stated I'd have a call back by Sunday (I requested a call either way).  Fast forward to the following Tuesday, opened a chat with ATT.  They informed me the ticket was closed with no response from engineering.  I told them to reopen.
  • Second ticket: Stated I wanted a call back and that if I didn't receive one within 48 hours I would cancel all service.  No call.

ATT doesn't seem to care about customers using non-branded devices and leveraging services that other carriers (TMo) provide without asking.  I've cancelled all service and am enjoying insanely clear HD calls and superior data services including VoLTE.  My only regret is I didn't leave ATT sooner!

@yeahno

most folks dont have the choice to goto tmobile since there coverage is stinks so bad in rural areas.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@yeahno wrote:

Since originally posting this I've had two tickets open with ATT.  Both for the same thing - provision VoLTE / Wifi Calling on my two lines with Pixel XL 1.  My new Pixel XL 2 devices arrive tomorrow and I wanted this squared away. 

I'm surprised they even opened a ticket. You must have gotten a rep who either didn't know the Pixel was not supported or just didn't want to tell you that. You didn't really expect a positive result, did you?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.