For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
imouti's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Friday, November 20th, 2015 9:12 PM

Nexus 6P - No HD Voice and Wifi Calling

AT&T why NO HD Voice support on the Nexus 6P when the device supports it?  

Why do you only enable it on AT&T branded phones?

I don't want your phones with bloateware. I shouldn't be forced to buy an AT&T phone to use VoLTE, HD Voice, and WiFi Calling! Time to file a FCC complaint.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

These are carrier features.

Wifi calling is not available for phones other than the iPhone 6 and 6S

I hate to burst your bubble, but it's up to the FCC to approve use of these features

HD voice will have to be answered by @GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@imouti wrote:

AT&T why NO HD Voice support on the Nexus 6P when the device supports it?  

Why do you only enable it on AT&T branded phones?

I don't want your phones with bloateware. I shouldn't be forced to buy an AT&T phone to use VoLTE, HD Voice, and WiFi Calling! Time to file a FCC complaint.

You want those features you will need to buy a ATT branded phone.

ATT is not giving google the code for HDvoice and they wont give it for WiFi calling

For Wifi calling the phone first has to be HDvoice compliant.

ATT is using different protocols than other carriers to implement there solution.

My ATT branded nexus 6 cant get HDvoice so there you have it.

You can file a compaint till your blue in the face your phone works and ATT does tell you on the BYOP page that not all features may work.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

My solution was to change carriers. Now HD voice works on my Nexus 6P. If At&t wasn't so poor at proving timely updates, I would even deal with the crapware they install.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

there is no carrier that offers coverage like ATT in this area.  well there is verizon but I dont want cdma.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

8 years ago

At&t recently received a FCC waiver and does now allow wi-fi calling, Although currently at&t only allows Wifi Calling on iPhones 6, 6s, and the pluses (devices running iOS 9) with eligible rate plans.

Although Both the Motorola Nexus 6 & the Huawei Nexus 6P support Wifi-calling (as will most mid & high end phones coming out soon with Android 6 Marshmallow and above).

Currently Wifi-Calling on devices other than an iOS9 iPhone is supported only by Google Project Fi, Tmoble, Verizon and Sprint (Okay everyone except at&t).

AT&T handles Wi-Fi Calling a bit differently than others providers, with no or only limited handoff capabilities when going from Wifi to cellular (unless you are in a 911 call)

As far as HD-voice,... HD voice should be working dependant on your rate plan and the coverage in your area. See the HD voice coverage map: http://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

Keep in mind as far as the HD-voice and true HD-voice service goes... ... We are talking about at&t, a company that called (rebranded) 3G HSPA+ a 4G service (they lied) and that in actuality was only half the throughput of every other providers true 4G. So if they actually have HD-voice or have "better than before" voice service and are just calling it (rebranding) HD-voice remains to be seen.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

HD voice is what att is calling volte and you have have a att branded phone to get it. Att is making WiFi calling and HD voice only for att branded phones with the exception of the iPhone since it's a closed eco system. You don't get that with android.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

8 years ago

I was unaware they (at&t) were yet offering WiFi calling on anything other than iOS9 devices. I remembered reading the at&t WiFi calling press release/interview in last month's FierceWireless.

VoLTE (Voice over LTE) is not the HD-Voice codec. but the VoLTE standard supports the HD-Voice codec by default. It is possible to have HD-Voice without VoLTE, And you can also have VoLTE without HD-Voice.  

VoLTE is a standard, HD-Voice is a codec (compression and decompression) software algorithm.

I was not aware that VoLTE or HD-voice is limited only to at&t branded devices.

Although we are talking about at&t... ... ... don't like, nor trust them anymore than an unscrupulous used car salesman.

🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

You might want to check again I have a nexus 6 and it does not get HD voice aka volte on att. I can move my edge+ Sim to it and it's on for a few seconds then poof it's gone. HD voice really does no good unless your talking to another att customer that has a HD voice compatible phone to.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

8 years ago

The HD-voice codec has been supported on the World Edition Nexus6 (not the at&t Nexus6) since Android 5.1,

If you have LTE and your HD-voice codec is not working you can try this:

Navigate to Settings > More > Cellular Networks and enable the toggle switch for "Enhanced" 4G LTE Mode. However, if the toggle is missing then follow the steps provided below:

1. Launch the Dialer app on your phone, and dial*#*#4636#*#*.
  2. Choose Phone information.
  3. Enable or select VoLTE Provisioned Flag.
  4. Restart the phone.
  5. Go to Settings " More " Cellular networks and toggle the switch for Enhanced 4G LTE Mode, and the HD Voice calling feature should now be activated on your device running Android 5.1 and above.

Your actual mileage may vary

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

8 years ago

The problem is Att is not using native android code they are adding stuff
to the roms on there phones. I am hopping they add app that will allow it
once the rollout is complete
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.