Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Moto g6 wifi calling

Highlighted
Contributor

Moto g6 wifi calling

I have an unlocked/unbranded moto G6, is ther anyway to provision (turn on) the wifi calling?

I can see that the VoLTE is provisioned (on), but the toggle to turn on provision wifi calling is grayed out.


Screenshot_20190222-160932.jpg

3,222 Views
Message 1 of 10
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎02-26-2019 12:29 PM

Re: Moto g6 wifi calling

Nope.  AT&T has only let one non branded phone in, pixel 3.  At least so far.

 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 10
Contributor

Re: Moto g6 wifi calling

I would think AT&T and all other wireless providers would want more of their customers to utilize WiFi calling.

1. would cause less wireless congestion

2. better coverage in areas not adequately covered by cell towers

3. 911 would always be available

4. Cheaper for providers?

Message 3 of 10
ACE - Expert

Re: Moto g6 wifi calling


@raphster wrote:

I would think AT&T and all other wireless providers would want more of their customers to utilize WiFi calling.

1. would cause less wireless congestion

2. better coverage in areas not adequately covered by cell towers

3. 911 would always be available

4. Cheaper for providers?


You would think BUT they also want to sell phones.  And even the ATT branded MOTO z2 did not get wifi calling.  If Moto wanted wifi calling they could have paid to have ATT certify the device

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 10
Contributor

Re: Moto g6 wifi calling

How can this be considered a solution?!?

Message 5 of 10
ACE - Expert

Re: Moto g6 wifi calling


@c0nfus3D wrote:

How can this be considered a solution?!?


Because there is not solution.  ATT is not going to let the G6 get wifi calling.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 10
Contributor

Re: Moto g6 wifi calling

I understand that. I just don't understand why this has been marked as a solution to the question of how to turn on wifi calling.

Message 7 of 10
ACE - Sage

Re: Moto g6 wifi calling


@c0nfus3D wrote:

I understand that. I just don't understand why this has been marked as a solution to the question of how to turn on wifi calling.


The question was: ‘can i provision Wifi calling on this unlocked non branded device’

The answer was “NO”.  Which is correct. How is that confusing to you?

 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 10
Contributor

Re: Moto g6 wifi calling

Just wanted to chime in and say this is crap.  (Not that it matters.)

 

I've got an old SIM card that's been recycled over the last 3 generations of phones I've owned, so it's probably about 7 or 8 yrs old.  I always just thought it was easier to swap out my old SIM rather than deal with provisioning a new one.  Anyway, I contacted AT&T Customer Support and SPECIFICALLY ASKED about wifi calling for my G6.  I was told by that rep that wifi calling wasn't available BECAUSE MY OLD SIM DID NOT SUPPORT IT.  So they sent me a new SIM, I went through the process of activating it, and to my surprise, it did not enable wifi calling for my device.  Amazing!  

 

Thanks for wasting my time AT&T.  Maybe another carrier would actually help me.

Message 9 of 10
ACE - Sage

Re: Moto g6 wifi calling


@Cranky_Nate wrote:

Just wanted to chime in and say this is crap.  (Not that it matters.)

 

I've got an old SIM card that's been recycled over the last 3 generations of phones I've owned, so it's probably about 7 or 8 yrs old.  I always just thought it was easier to swap out my old SIM rather than deal with provisioning a new one.  Anyway, I contacted AT&T Customer Support and SPECIFICALLY ASKED about wifi calling for my G6.  I was told by that rep that wifi calling wasn't available BECAUSE MY OLD SIM DID NOT SUPPORT IT.  So they sent me a new SIM, I went through the process of activating it, and to my surprise, it did not enable wifi calling for my device.  Amazing!  

 

Thanks for wasting my time AT&T.  Maybe another carrier would actually help me.


 If your complaint is that AT&T customer support was supposed to know that your particular model of phone would not work with Wi-Fi calling even with a new Sim card, no, there’s no reason they would know that. AT&T has sold a variety of different android phones over the last 4 1/2 years. I would not expect them to keep track of every single one that is eligible. 

    AT&T sold an LG G6 which has WiFi calling.   They didn’t sell the Motorola G6, Which does not.  

 Wi-Fi calling was not available to any android phone on AT&T prior to 2015.  So yes, 7/8 year old SIM cards isn't provisioned.   But that cannot make an ineligible Phone work.   

 The rule for androids is still at must be AT&T branded Samsung, LG, running Marshmallow or newer OS, a couple other At&t branded androids or the Google 3  or 3 XL.  Rumor is the Essential phone running android 10 works.  

    FYI same deal over at Verizon. 

      

 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support