Tlmagub's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, March 30th, 2017 5:08 PM

I can't turn off visual voicemail

I can't figure out how to change my visual voicemail to regular voicemail
Please email me at ***

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@kjerns wrote:

Here's why I don't want it on my iPhone 7:

1. It performs very poorly. Text is rarely more than 50% accurate.

The "text" translation is not the "visual" part of the voicemail. The "visual" is just having a list instead of calling in.  The text translation is new and is still beta.

2. It's distracting and often misleading.

It? If you mean VVM, you do not have to use it.

Here's how to NOT use VVM:

Just go to the keypad and press and hold the "1" key.

or

Just dial your cell phone number. 

You can even add it to your favorites.

Let us know how that works for you!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Why exactly do you want to disable visual voicemail? You don't have to use visual voicemail, you can access your voicemail the regular way any time. Disabling it accomplishes nothing but if you really want to, you need to call customer service to remove that from your line and re-provision it.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

On older phones or non ATT phones it's a separate app, which you can delete from your phone.  

FYI it's a free included service.  Removing it does not change your bill.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Tlmagub You do still HAVE regular voicemail too, you can simply hold down the "1" button on the dial-pad, and it will call into the old voicemail system.

If you're thinking that the visual-voicemail is costing you more, because of the line-item on the bill that has visual-voicemail on it, it's not.

Like @lizdance40 says, it's an included service (no additional charge), although I really wish they'd change the way they display that, on the billing, you're far from the first person who's made that assumption, that VVM is costing them more...

Edit: You're probably looking at the line-item(s) "Access for Smartphone 4G LTE w/ Visual VM... $xx.xx", right?  

That's the one that makes people think that VVM is costing them more, but really it's just telling you (in a really confusing way) that VVM is part of your smartphone line plan.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

You are the only person I've found who gave an intelligent answer to all these questions about visual voicemail. I just don't like the feature and admittedly didn't realize I could still get my voicemail by pressing 1 (thought that was old-fashioned, lol). On another hand - what is the advantage to visual voicemail? Am I not seeing something? All it is to me is a button to put to hear voicemails through a speaker.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@katieant wrote:

On another hand - what is the advantage to visual voicemail? Am I not seeing something? All it is to me is a button to put to hear voicemails through a speaker.

To be able to SEE a list of your voicemails verses having them fed to your chronologically but unheard ones first. Plus you know how long they are can pretty easily scroll through to find an old one or replay one if necessary.

My phone also pulls up their names from my contact list, so I can eve see the name of the caller.

You don't have to listen to VVM through the speaker.

I assume that other phones will add other features, some iPhones have a beta for Transcription in the VVM, so you can even see the text to get the gist of the message (in case you are somewhere you can't actually play it).

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

That list of calls would maybe be a nice feature of using visual voice mail, but I don't have that. I struggle with using basic features, and like the last poster, as a less savvy person I was asking to remove it and it was complicated. I've been suffering through it for a couple weeks (as a Realtor- not good!) but just pushing "1" is fine with me... you're the first person to say that other than "go to the root" which of course scared me away from that solution.

I also couldn't figure out how to put on a temporary voice mail greeting, but you've explained how to access the old way and I'm able to do what I need, thanks so much.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Its listed on my bill, $20 a month each phone.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@R14anthony wrote:

Its listed on my bill, $20 a month each phone.

@R14anthony That is your line access charge, it pays for unlimited talk and text, not for visual voicemail. Visual voicemail is included free. Even if you got visual voicemail removed, you would still have the same $20 line fee.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Here's why I don't want it on my iPhone 7:

1. It performs very poorly. Text is rarely more than 50% accurate.

2. It's distracting and often misleading.

3. I can't prove this, but it sure seems to have downgraded my overall VM performance. Often when I click the "arrow" icon to listen to my voice mail, nothing happens, or the system is very slow to respond. I have to click repeatedly to be able to listen to the message.

Would be nice to have a simple way to disable it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.