Get the myAT&T app
OldButNoHippy's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, March 1st, 2018 6:32 AM

Has there been any "phishing" (hacking attempts) on LGB470 phones?

I have an LGB470 mobile prepaid mobile phone (yes, a "flip-phone") with AT&T.  Today I received a very peculiar phone call that claimed to be FROM MY PHONE (i.e., the incoming call number was the number of that phone; it was also recorded in the log of recently recieved phone calls)!!!  The voice sounded like a professionally created "robo-call": the voice was a pleasant female voice that cited that the phone service had been disconnected or suspended or some such -- I was in a very noisy environment and didn't clearly hear the first utterances.  It then started to act like an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system: asking for particular button-pushes.  When it asked for the last 4 digits of my social security number I terminated the call.  [On the 10c/minute prepaid plan, that cost a whopping 20 cents.  😉 ]

Has anyone heard of or written about any kind of cell-phone "phishing" or "hacking" attacks that starts like that?  It was very peculiar that the call identified itself as coming from MY cell phone number!!  How is that possible?

Please reply and I will post more if I hear more elsewhere.  I assume you can direct-email me as this system has my email address.

-- OldButNoHippy

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

It's called spoofing a number. It wasn't from your number, they made their device show a different number from their actual number. It was a scam call

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

This is actually a fairly well known scam and if you search this forum, you will see it has been reported here many times by many people. Unfortunately, there is nothing ATT can do about number spoofing or this particular scam call. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.