For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
groundxzero's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, September 27th, 2017 7:44 PM

Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan - Switching devices from Android to Apple

Hi All,

I'm currently on one of the grandfathered unlimited data plans.  In the past (after they discontinued the unlimited data plans), I have been told that if I were to switch over from my Android device to an Apple device that I would lose my unlimited data plan and would need to select one of the current plans available.  Something about how the phone services (imessage, icloud, etc) were set up in the back end.  

I recently spoke with an AT&T customer service rep and inquired about some of the new unlimited data plans to see if it was cheaper for me to switch over (it was not).  One of the reps told me that even on my current grandfathered plan that I'd be able to switch to an Apple device without having to change my current plan but when I went into an actual AT&T store, one of the reps said that I wouldn't be able to do that.  Now I'm kind of confused on who to trust here.

Can anyone confirm that I'd be able to switch devices and have all the Apple services (imesage, icloud, etc) work without me having to change my grandfathered data plan?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

You should absolutely be able to keep your grandfathered plan when switching from android to iOS or vice versa. You do have to have the plan updated for the new device but you do not have to change plans. Many grandfathered plan unlimited customers have switched phones and kept their plans. I'm curious as to how your grandfathered plan is still cheaper. Are you getting some huge discount? Don't forget the new Unlimited Plus also includes hotspot, free Canada and Mexico roaming and free HBO.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the response!

I was able to apply a work discount on my older plan but the new plans do not do corporate discounts on the service plans.  Just for accessories and such.  At least that's what I was told.  Although the price difference isn't much, the only real difference was pretty much what you mentioned (tethering, HBO and roaming).  I wouldn't use those features too often, so it didn't seem worth it in the grand scheme of things.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@groundxzero Once you start using tethering and it's not costing you anything, you might be surprised at how useful it might be.

You should be able to keep it. But if you can't as you said it's only a little more and you get all the new stuff: roaming in Canada/Mexico, free tethering for tablets and laptops (up to 10GB per phone), Free HBO (no pay TV service required) and a $25 discount for TV services (the cheapest is DirecTV Now with 60 channels for $35-$25 discount = $10 a month). http://att.com/unlimited

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.