For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
xBrandedx's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, April 2nd, 2017 2:23 AM

Delete my personal data for update

Really? I have to constantly uninstall my apps and disable your add on apps just to have room on internal drive to work.... and now i get a text telling me to clear my personal data 846 mb for hour update??? How about you remove some of the apps married to the os instead of my personal data ... ive already removed everything and is no way there is room for your update.
How dare you demand i delete my data for this. I am outraged.
Just another 'i don't care company'
Im done

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

This seems like an instance of too little internal storage for the needs of the end user. The total size of AT&T applications on a phone is negligible. We're talking about 300 megabytes if that. It's the GOOGLE apps and operating system that are the bulk of storage. Low end phones with minimal storage are going to have constraints with storage and it's not the carrier's fault. They didn't manufacture the device.

No one has to delete anything however because phones have a multitude of backup options for user data and documents. Cloud services. SD memory cards and syncing with a PC or Macintosh.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

7 years ago

Have you tried clearing your cached data?  That can free up to 10 GB of storage without deleting anything that is needed or any personal information.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

I'll add that the internal storage is partitioned so that disabling or uninstalling built in apps does not create more room for user installed apps and data. 

None is performed by carriers.  It's all the manufacturer.

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

7 years ago

"None is performed by carriers.  It's all the manufacturer."

Not true. Both carrier and manufacturer add on garbage. The problem does belong with the carrier as they push the update onto the phone. If the customer can't fit the update onto his phone or for whatever reason doesn't want it, the carrier shouldn't push it.

No, the "cloud" is not an acceptable solution. The last thing I want is some corporation selling my data in the cloud.

Buying a larger SIM card is also not a solution. That only encourages the carrier (and manufacturer) to push more crapwear onto the phone. I don't know about you, but I don't use 90% of the crapwear on my phone. it  serves no purpose and only takes up space and often needs to be turned off manually as it drains the battery.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

Carriers add nothing.  Manufacturers add carrier specific software.  Carriers do not code software.

They don't code updates either.  Security updates and OS updates come from the manufacturer or google. They pass through ATT for testing and release.  

SIM cards do not store anything but your account and phone number.  No apps or system.  

You mean an SD card.   SD cards are for data only.  Pictures or music are typically stored on an SD card as they take up a lot of room.  

Cloud storage is private.  The carrier does not access or sell your cloud storage data.  You think if a carrier has access to update your phone, knows which phone you have, knows where your phone is, that they couldn't access the data physically on your phone?  Darn tootin. They could, but they don't.  

Data in a cloud storage  is password protected.  

The size or existence of an update is not effected one way or the other by an SD card or how full your phone is.  

Solution. Don't buy carrier branded phones.  And buy a phone with more internal storage.  Best Buy has a display of unlocked, non branded phones that all work on ATT.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

Carriers add nothing.  Manufacturers add carrier specific software.  Carriers do not code software. 

@lizdance40 I'm not sure where you came up with that idea but ATT has a very large software development organization which includes development of mobile apps.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

App development department doesn't put it on the phones.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

Actually buying a phone with under 16gb of storage space is the problem. That is also why the note 4 and s5 won't get nougat.

And yes cloud computing is the future. How many websites do you goto that are cloud based. If your worried about bloatware time to get a iPhone.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.