Get the myAT&T app
ankitnehra's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, February 24th, 2018 9:10 PM

My claim was denied because I'm still using the SIM Card.

So AT&T/Asurion is denying my claim because I'm still using the SIM card which was connected to my iPhone X after the loss. This is because I lost my phone while I was traveling to India and my SIM wasn't working in India. So I tried using another SIM on my device, which didn't work either, so I put the AT&T SIM again hoping it will work this time but it didn't even then. Frustrated, I removed the SIM and was only using my device via WiFi. Now they are saying that the insurance is on the SIM not on the phone, therefore since SIM was removed from the iPhone X when it was lost, they can't give me a new device. But on the policy it clearly states, and I quote, "For coverage to apply to a particular device, you must own or lease the device and have used (logged voice or data use) that device on your enrolled wireless line after initial enrollment. Coverage applies to only one device at any given time and the covered device will be your most recently used device on your wireless line at the time of the loss." In my case the most recent used device was iPhone X so I don't understand how does it matter if I'm now using my phone on a different device AFTER the loss.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

6 years ago

The SIM card needs to be active in the phone you are filing a claim on. Overseas travel is not a concern for Asurion and they can, and will, deny a claim if you separated the active SIM card from the phone that was insured.

Insurance is dependent on everything remaining as one. Asurion MUST see usage on a device before a claim is filed. They will deny a claim if you say a phone was stolen and the SIM card is used after the fact. It means the SIM was not in the stolen/lost device.

• 

7 Messages

I'm going through the same problem but with my phone claim the thieves removed my sim card and put it in another phone and were using it now they refuse to cover it

• 

1 Message

Hi,

Hopefully you're notified that I responded to your comment here. I'm going through a similar issue. Were you able to get this resolved through the insurance and if so, how?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

Asurion is not ATT.  Asurion is a completely separate company, all carriers use for mobile insurance 

You just wrote you’re still using your SIM card.... in another phone other than the one on which you filed a claim.  In order to be covered, you need to file claim and have it accepted with Asurion first.  Even I’m puzzled how you lost your phone but not the SIM card in it.   (Not intending to be rude) BUT, It sounds fishy to me and I’m sure equally fishy to Asurion.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I think you need to read over my post once more (not trying to be rude). Here I'll detail it again, when I landed in India the AT&T just said NO SERVICE consistently and I wasn't able to make any calls which I need to obviously. Therefore I took out the AT&T SIM and tried using another Indian SIM in my iPhone X. That didn't work either. This way I was lucky enough to not lose my SIM. How's that fishy?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

I read it twice...

you wrote”.....This is because I lost my phone while I was traveling to India and my SIM wasn't working in India.   So I tried using another SIM on my device, which didn't work either, so I put the AT&T SIM again hoping it will work this time but it didn't even then. Frustrated, I removed the SIM and was only using my device via WiFi.”    I suspect the word “to” is not the right word, maybe “in”. 

> But the real problem I suspect is,  “...I'm still using the SIM card ...”.   

While I don’t believe anyone would pay insurance in some goofy insurance scam with no profit (just the opposite)  it seems Asurion finds it odd you have the SIM card and using it in another phone.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Well, I was in India when I lost it and was traveling from the states, sorry if my use of the incorrect preposition caused any confusion. I explained to Asurion how I still have my SIM, (because I took it out and tried other SIM due to no service). After our discussion and disagreement, they told me they can forward me to AT&T, but my call didn't connect after a long wait time so I decided to post here. Their argument is that insurance is on the line not my device, but the T&C clearly says the most recently used device before the loss.is covered, which is my lost iPhone X in my case. Also when I bought my plan I made it clear to the AT&T rep that I want insurance for the new iPhone X. I have had insurance for my previous iPhone 7 and never had to use it but I just like my devices insured.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

Asurion has done this before.  The way they see it the insurance is on both the line and the phone.  When it comes up on the forum, the advice is always file the claim first.  

In fact one of ATT employees went through the same thing I think in Mexico if I remember right. 

@Constructive

Off a ship?

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40  correct  it dropped off the ship (or so i thought) almost a year later the phone was returned to me from Norwegian cruise lines as it has apparently landed on the bottom deck, it was destroyed and un usable so a claim i think at this point would look fishy. The good part was i was able to keep all my data on the SD card as it was in working condition.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Im going thru the exact same thing at this moment , my husband lost his phone in brazil and the SIM was not inside because he was trying to use a local SIM.  When the phone got lost, he put his sim card inside my device and used it a few days in the trip; now asurion denied the claim.

i wonder if you found a way around it ? If you did, please let me know 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@Amanda24

The way around is to immediately file a claim, before swapping service to another phone. 

(Yet another reason I don’t use over-priced Asurion). 

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

6 years ago

No way around it. One of the checks for fraud is whether the customer is still using the device reported lost or stolen. While you've cited some very good reasons why a SIM card might not be in a lost device, there's no way for Asurion to independently prove it. That means they won't approve the exception. Besides, the insurance is on the line, not the device, so the only way to verify the device is insured is through the SIM card. Once you remove the SIM card, your phone is no longer covered.

@lizdance40, I know you don't like paying for insurance, but for some people, it's a good and reasonable option. Used it myself plenty of times, would pay for it again.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.