Get the myAT&T app
caserat's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, November 16th, 2015 10:01 PM

Can't setup wifi calling

I tried setting up wifi calling but your system won't allow my address. I get an error due to the W in front. I even called the Sheriffs dept to verify my 911 address is as above. If I try without the W I get a warning that it is an invalid 911 address.
Many country addresses include a N, S, E or W at the front of their official 911 addresses here. Is there any way you can fix this error? I think your system thinks I'm trying to use a PO box.
I have to drive 2 miles away to make a phone call due to no service here so wifi calling could be a lifesaver!

[Personal information removed]

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

Do you mean a microcell?  Which is not the same as wifi calling.

This is a question for @OttoPylot

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

I don't know what microcell is, I am trying to use wifi calling on my iPhone 6. I have cable wifi and have verified my 911 address with the Police. Wifi calling will not accept the W in front of my 911 verified address.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

If you are referring to the MicroCell a rurual address or p.o. box will not work because of the E911 FCC requirements. The GPS coordinates sent by the MicroCell must match what is in the locational database before registration will complete. Some rural customers have had to go to their local Emergency Services to find out what they have in their address base as their location for E911 calls and then attmpet to use those coordinates.

If you are referring to WiFi Calling (WiFi-C) that has nothing to do with the MicroCell and is totally dependent on your internet service and the type of phone you have. Presently, WiFi-C is only available for the iPhone 6 and above on the AT&T network. If you have a satellite or wireless broadband internet provider I don't know if WiFi-C has been shown to work reliably. The MicroCell, on the other hand, is designed for land-based internet service only (cable/DSL) and is not supported by AT&T for satellite or wireless broadband.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

@caserat wrote:
No, I don't even know what microcell is. I am trying to use the wifi calling feature on my iPhone 6.

What kind of internet service do you have and what are the speeds? WiFi-C is dependent on the quality of your WiFi signal.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

I use Time Warner cable (road runner) with the fastest available option which I am don't know the speed of offhand. It is extremely reliable, never had a problem with the service, very quick and reliable at all times.
My problem is before it even tries connecting, it won't accept the W before number

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

Ok. Just checking to make sure you don't have satellite/wireless broadband.

Have you turned off completely and then turned back on your iPhone 6? Does Google Maps/Apple Maps indicate  your correct location? I can't see why your physical address would matter for connecting via WiFi-C. If anything, your Maps location would be off. It could be that your area is not yet provisioned for WiFi-C.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

@caserat wrote:

My problem is before it even tries connecting, it won't accept the W before number

I'm confused. Why do you need to use your address to make a call? Just dial 1-area code-number.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

I'll walk you through it. I toggle wifi calling in services. It pops up a thing to approve terms. Then it goes to a page with address and that's where I get stopped. I can't make a wifi call without a good address. It's att that must have it set up so you can't use a letter in front of the numbers.
Yes, if I put my address in Google maps or any gps device, with the W in front, it pops up my house.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

I can't just toggle it on and then make a call, it's stops me at the address and my only option is put in a different address or cancel. I can't remove the W from my address or it says invalid 911 address.
I assume that att doesn't allow letters to stop PO boxes but most addresses in my area have a direction letter before number.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@caserat wrote:
I'll walk you through it. I toggle wifi calling in services. It pops up a thing to approve terms. Then it goes to a page with address and that's where I get stopped. I can't make a wifi call without a good address. It's att that must have it set up so you can't use a letter in front of the numbers.
Yes, if I put my address in Google maps or any gps device, with the W in front, it pops up my house.

I just turned on wifi calling myself so I know what you are talking about but can't offer any suggestion as to why it won't accept the W. Have you tried removing the W and see if that works?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.