Get the myAT&T app
Jones93741's profile

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Monday, June 26th, 2017 4:42 PM

Call Protect for Non-Supported Devices

I understand that the Call Protect app can't be installed on non-Andriod/iOS devices.  But I have several Windows Phones and flip phones on my account that I'd like to also enable this feature on.  I understand that the spam warning won't work, but I'd at least like to auto-block known fraud calls.  I've clicked around MyAT&T and can't find any obvious spot for this, but the FAQ says it should be possible.  Where can I find the options to manage Call Protect for other devices on MyAT&T? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Well, you're wrong.  The Call Protect service can be enabled on any HD Voice capable device (like a Windows Phone); even if it can't install the app.  The "hack" is to install the Call Protect app onto a different iPhone/Android device, complete the text message validation loop, then the service is enabled. The app is only needed for the suspected spam/telemarketer CallerID; the auto-blocking of fraudulent calls is done on the network side, the app is not needed.  (All of this is spelled out in the FAQ.)

In my case, I started by installing the Call Protect app on an iPhone, and completing the setup/verification loop.  Then logged out of the app, and logged in as each of the other numbers on my account.  Obviously, I needed to have my other phones handy to get the text message.  Once through the verification loop, I accepted the TOS, and network-layer call blocking was enabled on that line. I logged out again, and went on to my next device.  Once I enabled all my devices, I logged back into the Call Protect app with the number assigned to the iPhone, so now it can get the suspected spam/telemarketer CallerID.  No need to swap SIMs or other shenanigans.  Accessing MyAT&T, I can now see Call Protect enabled on all my lines.  The only exception is for devices which don't support HD Voice; they generated an error when attempting to log into the Call Protect app.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

I hear ya!  I have no ATT branded phones is regular use.  I tried DU Caller and Hiya.  Both have good features and work well.  The settings make a difference so please change them to your liking.  For example DU caller shows caller ID on outgoing calls, including my contacts, unless you turn it off in settings.   It's a dumb thing.  

I have turned to Hiya full time, but DU Caller blocked better 

Give each a try.  

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Right, I get that...  But AT&T is claiming that Call Protect can stop known fraudsters at the network level.  Doesn't even need to ring your phone, or need an app.  Also, the website https://www.att.com/offers/call-protect.html say:

"If you manage your account in myAT&T, you can also activate AT&T Call Protect for your own line and other lines on your account through it. When you activate through myAT&T, you will receive a text message with a link to download the optional app. Data rates may apply for app download and usage."

So I'm asking, where on myAT&T can I enable this for all my lines?  I've searched around, but can't find it.  The AT&T FAQ for Call Protect says this should be possible. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

You can't.  If the phone isn't supported, you can't download the app, can't use the service.  

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@Jones93741  I have an ATT phone not in use.  I will try this.  If it works, that's great and I will forward your work around to others when the question comes up.

BTW, ATT definition of "unsupported " is any non branded phone and /or not  HD voice capable on their system.   Since for the most part I have non branded android phones, I out of luck.  

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

Update....

I did as you suggested.  I have a Samsung GS7 not in use, but downloaded the app and used it with each SIM card.  

When call protect was first introduced it was required to sign up with a user name and password for each number.   It was complicated, difficult and on iPhone it wasn't working well at all.   This is no longer the case.  No user name, just enter the phone number, then the verification code.  

Not only was it easy, but as you say, it can protect a non qualifying phone.  

Took 5 minutes to set up on 2 numbers.  

If this is successful, and it sees it was, this hack is quite awesome and I will pass it on.

additional:   This does not work so far on 'unsupported devices' as in Non ATT phones as they don't get HD voice.  My Google pixel is still getting sales calls.  I will give it more time and see what happens.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

Further update:   Within a couple of days the sales calls are gone.  Once in a while a Call rings once or half a ring.  

It's fabulous!  🐶🌈🍭🎇👏🏻👍🏼

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Alas we learned today the device needs to be bought from AT&T.  We activated an unlocked Samsung S8+ on our account, downloaded the app, entered the phone number (why doesn't it know the phone number), got the text message, and then got an error saying our line was ineligible.  Called 611 and only 30 minutes later were told that Call Protect requires the phone be purchased from AT&T.  So the documentation is incomplete.  A lot of work to end up pounding sand!  Clearly this industry needs more regulation and competition.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I have an iPhone 8+ and cannot get this app to install.  Every time I accept the terms of service, it goes back to the "Enter Your Mobile Number" screen.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.