For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
dlightdlight's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, June 19th, 2014 1:56 PM

Assigning a Static IP to MiFi Unite Pro

Can a Static IP be assigned to a MiFi Unite Pro (or Unite White).  I'd like to connect an IP surveillance camera to it.  I would think it can.  How much does AT&T charge for a Static IP ?

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

Hi,

Do you mean a static IP on the AT&T network side? It can be done but you must be on a business plan. I do not have a price for you as usually a business account manager has to provision the static IP. I am sure it's not going to be cheap on your wireless plan. You would need to reach out to customer care to get a better qutoe.

Hope this helps!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

thanks for the quick reply

my underlying question is... can I open the 'Unite Pro' interface and assign it a Static IP

Let me try to explain what I'm trying to do...

I've got a computer background but I'm a little new to tailoring device connection values, so I'm a little fuzzy when you ask..."Do you mean a static IP on the AT&T network side?"

I'm trying to do something called "Port forwarding", where from my computer I open an interface to my IP camera and and interface to the AT&T 'Unite Pro' and enter such things as...

Private IP
Protocol Type
Private Port
Public Port

from what I understand, the Private IP value would ideally be a Static IP.  In this case the 'Unite Pro' would serve as my router that would house the static Internet recognizable address.

I've never done any of this before. I'm trying to dry run all this before actually purchasing the 'MiFi Unite Pro'.

here's a link that describes more of what I'm trying to do...

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/ATnT/6800G/defaultguide.htm

thanks for your help

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

So then yes you need to have two different static IPs - one on the MiFi for the camera to connect to it, and one from AT&T so you can connect to the mifi remotely.

The settings you have listed for the camera, the ports can be established on the web interface for the MiFi and you shouldn't have any issues there.

You can establish the static IP from the web interface on the MiFi for the camera itself. The AT&T network one is so you can remotely connect to the camera system from anywhere and that needs to be set up on the backend. I believe from a little research I've done they start at $90 a month, but as I said earlier you'll need to reach out to business care to see what the rates are and what they can be set up on.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

great, thanks very much

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

but let me try to pin you down a little further

you know for sure that the AT&T MiFi 'Unitie Pro' has an interface that I can open to assign the static IP ?

can you point me to some documentation on that

again thanks

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

All of our MiFi's have a web portal much like a traditional wireless router.

http://www.att.com/devicehowto/?_requestid=1925119#fbid=aUpAIjwvHIs - this shows how to change settings on the Unite Pro.

Hope this helps!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

wonderful, thank you very much

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

You're very welcome hope everything works out well for you!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I wanted to post some additional details required to get this working. You need to "assign" the static IP address, since unfortunately the UnitePro will not pick it up automatically. In the admin interface there are no WAN settings as exist on most wireless routers, which is where you would normally set a static IP, so I called business tech support and they walked me through it:

1) Login to the admin interface (192.168.1.1 by default, when connected to the UnitePro's wifi network).

2) Go to Settings->Mobile Broadband->APN.

3) Add a new entry -- use any name but set APN to "i2gold". Leave user/pwd blank and Auth set to none. Click "+" to add it.

4) Click the radio button to the left of the new entry to make it the default. The UnitePro will now use it when it connects to the AT&T network instead of the default APN.

5) In the left sidebar, click Disconnect. Wait a few seconds and click Connect when available.

6) Click About in the upper right. If all was successful, you should see the static IP Address in the bottom right.

7) Verify external connectivity to the static IP from a device not connected to the UnitePro. You will of course need a listening device like a camera or NVR, along with properly configured port forwarding.

I hope this is helpful!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

thank you very much

this was going to be a week-end project, so far I haven't found the week-end, but I'm going to do it one of these days, thanks again

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.