For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
ponga's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, January 7th, 2009 6:17 PM

wappush spam: "AT&T FREE Tip"

I signed up recently with AT&T and had my number ported. Shortly after, I started recieving these messages on my phone:

"AT&T FREE Tip 4 of 5: Check ur voice plan minutes used & sms msgs sent w/ My Account. This is a no-charge service. Click below. 2end mktg msgs send STOP to 2804 http://b.wappush.net/wapclick//ma/1180525/244911961"

After some research, here is what I found.

Don't bother sending STOP to 2804, these messages are NOT from AT&T, they are indeed spam and are cleverly disguised as AT&T messages, but they are not. The party responsible is  , an advertising firm. Ultimatly though, AT&T is reposnsible - otherwise WHY would I have started receiving these messages after signing up for service. I believe AT&T is selling it's customers numbers for the purposes of advertising. This is the only logical conclusion. What's more, I believe that I am being CHARGED for each these messages. So, AT&T are a bunch of schisters and screwing over their customers. What else is new?

Anyway, as for stopping these messages - they are not sms, they are not mms - they are something called "wappush". As of yet, I don't know how to how to stop them, other then cancel my AT&T service and never do business with AT&T again. If anyone has any ideas or input, please advise...

Accepted Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

SOLUTION.

I found out where to disable "Push messages" - on the handset itself.

On my Samsumg SGH-A767, it's Menu > Settings > Application Settings > Messaging Settings > Push Message > Receiving Option = OFF

I have not confirmed this to work, but I have not received another one of these incidius messages yet either.

-ponga

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

15 years ago

After adding MEdia Net to my plan some time ago, I also was receiving these TIP messages from ATT, or so I THOUGHT were from ATT, until THIS point. Luckily enough, I just deleted them. I think there were 8 that I received over a period of time.

Guru

• 

440 Messages

15 years ago

What you might try is log on to my wireless account. Click my profile, then account information, scroll down to marketing settings and uncheck text message and phone, click save changes.

Scholar

• 

289 Messages

15 years ago

Ideas, yes, we have.  First of all it is nuts to charge for incoming text messages.  You cannot control who sends you junk and essentially takes your money.  I did text for years and years on ATTWS.  Dime to send and free to receive, always.

Having to shut off SMS and MMS is certainly one way and it is what I have done.  Not because I had any significant amount of spam but because of the outrageous pricing.  I use a data plan and do all messaging via email.

If you really wanted to keep and use SMS/MMS, I would suggest complaining and requesting credit and/or an official way to stop it.  

Scholar

• 

160 Messages

15 years ago

What a mess.  AT&T's solution to wap push spam is to turn WAP Push off.  Typical willful ignorance on their part.  Of course, they woudn't want to no longer allow third parties to send messages impersonating the company.  No, that would be un-wise. I guess no big deal, since AT&T doesn't seem to use WAP push for anything useful, such as keeping its handset firmware up to date.

BTW, WAP Push messages are simply specially encoded SMS messages, on AT&T's networks.

Probably not a bad idea to turn it off entirely: AT&T's incompetence is so well demonstrated I won't be surprised when we see a big virus outbreak via WAP Push message breach.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

try texting stop back insted of no it seems to work better

Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

15 years ago

You could have replies with "STOP" and it should stop.

Scholar

• 

160 Messages

14 years ago

Stop doesn't work at all for these messages.  Here's why:

According to AT&T, the messages aren't really from AT&T. But, the address the STOP reply message would go to IS AT&T. 

So a stop message would go to AT&T, telling them to stop sending messages they claim they aren't sending in the first place. Robot Mad

Message Edited by AboutToGoPostal on 03-06-2010 01:46:53 PM

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

Alright, like it says above, this is coming from a wap(internet) service and yes 2ergo.com is the one sending them out. I had this issue as well and was able to find a number for this company.  703-879-3400, option 3 to speak with customer service representative. Now I had to explain it in a way that would make sense to them. I told them its a text but its coming through my internet access. It says ATT TIPS. The rep understood what I talking about and said he actually works on these set ups(got lucky). Gave him my number and he said he would have it removed from their data base and would call back. Good luck, this is your solution.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.