Explore & discover

Helpful Links

unlocked phone unable to turn on mobile hotspot

unlocked phone unable to turn on mobile hotspot

can't turn on hotspot after unlocking Samsung s iii mini from at&t and going to t-mobile.

Get message that mobile data is not available or invalid sim.

Did a device backup and a "reset only" and problem still exists.

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Expert

Re: unlocked phone unable to turn on mobile hotspot

The hotspot function on ATT branded phones will only work on ATT. Sorry but the hotspot won’t work on T-Mobile, only on ATT.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9

What makes a Samsung phone purchased through at&t, an at&t branded phone? Why does everything else work except for hotspot? Is hotspot being locked by at&t? If so, how can I get it unlocked or back to a stock Samsung phone?

Message 3 of 9
ACE - Expert

You have ATT’s version of the Android operating system which includes the code for hotspot. Short of hacking your phone to replace that with a generic Android release, I’m pretty sure there is nothing you can do.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 9

Hmm...Interesting that all other features of the phone get unlocked except for hotspot. Looks like I need to flash the phone back to stock and go from there.

Thanks

Message 5 of 9
Contributor

Did flashing the phone back to stock work?

Message 6 of 9

I never ended up refreshing the phone because the only place I could find that supposedly will do it, was the Best Buy in Dartmouth Ma.  This is one reason I will refrain from ever using AT&T or Samsung again.
Message 7 of 9
Contributor

I downloaded Settings Database Editor from the appstore (free). I promise this isn't a shill for that app. SQLite editors work too, but they cost money and they require root permission, neither of which did I use for this.

Change the setting called tether_entitlement_check_state from the default (5) to 0. Some people said -1 worked too.

This may be all that needs to be done normally. However, for me the hotspot worked, but nothing had internet access when connected save the v20 itself. I went to settings -> networks ->more and disabled the Enhanced LTE services. For whatever reason, that setting was screwing up with with hotspot. I also did a speed test and the speeds for with and without the enhanced LTE services were about the same (80mb/6mb), so no worries there.

Message 8 of 9
Contributor

I just tried @fire7729's suggestion. I had the same issue with an LG G3 phone. I had a previous unlocked LG G3 T-Mobile phone that had no issue with hotspotting (using Cricket service). I dropped my phone, it broke, I bought a new LG G3 to replace it. However the new one was an unlocked AT&T phone.

I downloaded Settings Database Editor from Google Play. Changed one setting, tether_entitlement_check_state (from "5" to "0"). Everything worked after that! I tested my network, my phone, my texting. All good. And hotspot works great. Thanks, @fire7729!

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you Missing Your BOGO Credits? If so, QuarryRye can you help figure out what happened and what to do about it!

Additional Support