Need your talk or text logs?
Jimbo1212's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Thursday, May 12th, 2011 11:42 AM

text messaging vs. instant messaging: how do they work differently?

1. I have seen explanations of how text messaging and instant messages are used differently but my question is more how they operate differently:  what is the techical differences in how each one works?  More specifically, is only one, or both, dependent on having an Internet connection?

2. Is it possible that one could be somewhere where he or she had insufficient signal to have an Internet connection and yet have sufficient signal to send and receive text messages?

I do not know if it would make a difference in the answers but I am thinking more of the differences as manifested in a mobile hotspot device (say, for example, the Verizon Five Spot or the AT&T MiFi 2372) connected to a laptop than a smartphone that can also function as a hostpot.

Thanks.

Jim

[5-12-11]

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

13 years ago

Text messages (SMS) require no internet connection whatsoever. It is not uncommon to be in an area with signal too low to have either data connection or voice, yet SMS will work fine.

AFAIK, all Instant messaging clients require data connection to send/receive instant messages, regardless of how they end up being billed.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

13 years ago

Thank for an informative and fast response.  I'm glad I signed up for these forums.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

13 years ago

@Jimbo1212 wrote:

Thank for an informative and fast response.  I'm glad I signed up for these forums.

You're welcome!

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

actually most IM apps use SMS. disable data on the phone itself and see if it still worjs

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

How do i find the texting command icon?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.