text message context retention question

Highlighted
Contributor

text message context retention question

how long does ATT keep CONTEXT of text messages and how much is the cost to retrive them?they were sent and recieved somewhere around 14-20 months ago. what is the process? Thx

Message 1 of 6

Re: text message context retention question

@you123  wrote:

how long

does ATT keep CONTEXT of text messages and how much is the cost to retrive them?they were sent and recieved somewhere around 14-20 months ago. what is the process? Thx

As far as the record of the text message I believe AT&T keeps the date, time, sender, and recipient info for 5-7 years.

As far as the actual content of the message, I do not think AT&T retains any text message content except at the SMSC for 3-5 days in case the recipient's phone is inaccessable (turned off, out of range).

So, you might be out of luck with AT&T meeting your request, but from what I hear the NSA might very well have a copy.Smiley Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 2 of 6
Contributor

How difficult would be to get them from the NSA?

Message 3 of 6

@you123  wrote:

How difficult would be to get them from the NSA?

Well, you'd be dealing with the federal government if that's any indication.Smiley LOL

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 4 of 6
Contributor

Actually I believe that AT&T does keep the date but I dont know how long. My friend was able to have a copy of all text that was on her account sent to her. I dont know what it cost her, but it was worth proving her husband was a cheater! I am almost sure that she had AT&T at the time. 

Message 5 of 6

@MakeupMomma  wrote:

Actually I believe that AT&T does keep the date but I dont know how long. My friend was able to have a copy of all text that was on her account sent to her. I dont know what it cost her, but it was worth proving her husband was a cheater! I am almost sure that she had AT&T at the time. 

It might be possible in real-time to capture and retain the message content (with a "tap", legal or not) and there's always the phone itself if your freinds ex was not smart enough not erase them from the phones memory, but from what I've read (which I'll admit is a few years old), Virgin Mobile is the only company that retains text message content for longer than a few days.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393887,00.asp

http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1740,iid=313504,00.asp

Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support