Need your talk or text logs?
Steven1357's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Tuesday, May 1st, 2012 10:43 PM

"Data Transfer" in Usage Detail

On my Wireless bill under the Detailed Usage for Data Detail is a Section for "Data Transfer"

This is the area where the charges against my 200 MB Data Plan are listed.

However, it lists only the date & time, the term Data Transfer under the To/From Column, the KB used, and the Rate Code CMB6

Is there any way for me to determine what a specific charge was for (i.e. I downloaded an app & which one, I did X, I did Y, etc)?

Just listing the basic information that is shown on the bill does not give me enough information to determine whether the charges were legit or not.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

That level of detail is not provided because we do not track where you're using data, just that you are using data. 

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

Problem with that is when I question whether or not "I" was actually using my data.

Not that I don't trust AT&T, but wasn't it Regan who once said "Trust, but verify"?

With the current technology, it should be easy for me to be able to access that data (even if it is not shown on the bill for Privacy reasons).

Does anyone know if all of the carriers "hide" that information from its customers?

I am in a profession that bills its clients based on time.

If I had this billing policy, there would be a mass client revolt.

I just got my iPhone 4S in late December 2011 & got a Data Plan for the 1st time since I have been using a cell phone.

Problem is now my usage is slowly going up & this month I approached my 200 MB Data limit.

Yes, I can account for a good part of this month's usage, but being able to account for only a good part of the data usage charged to me is just not going to be enough for me.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

The detail for my voice calls shows the date, time, phone number called, & minutes spent on each call.

Same for Text Messages and Pict Video Messages.

Why can't something similar be done for data

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

May not be THE reason but a reason would be that you're bill would be more than a 100 pages with every data interaction.

But you can always disable data so it can't be used in the background. Smartphones are connected to the internet at all times and do things behind your back based on apps and setup. That's just how they are designed

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I've used AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon, and none of them offers the type of detail you're asking for.

Your iPhone tracks cellular data use on its own.  Though it's strictly a resettable cumulative counter, it can at least give you a sanity check against your bill.

Go to Settings -> General -> Usage -> Cellular Usage

You'll see Cellular Network Data Sent and Received since your last reset.  I reset on the first day of each billing period, after noting the usage count.  It's usually pretty close to my bill.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

May not be THE reason but a reason would be that you're bill would be more than a 100 pages with every data interaction.

That is why I said it did not have to be on the bill.  Just somewhere where I could access that detail when I wanted.

But you can always disable data so it can't be used in the background.

I do not want to disable anything that would make my phone less useful.

Smartphones are connected to the internet at all times and do things behind your back based on apps and setup. That's just how they are designed.

I do understand that.  I just want some kind of a check as to what it is charging me for (against my Data Plan).

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

Your iPhone tracks cellular data use on its own.  Though it's strictly a resettable cumulative counter, it can at least give you a sanity check against your bill.

I did know it could do that, but that is not quite what I wanted.

But since you reminded me of it, I will turn that on for the time being.

However, that does not satisfy my needs at all & I will continue to press for what does.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

There is nothing else unless you have an Android phone. There is a 3rd party app called My Data Manager or Onovo that is more helpful, they both tell you how much data is used by a specific app or day. Still not a break down per minute though but knowing which app is pretty helpful
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.