Wireless Forums

Posted Jan 27, 2009
2:32:10 PM
View profile
not opening recieved text = free?
I have 200 msg/month, and I have so many people texting me. I want to know if looking at preview texts and not opening uses my limited 200 msg?
I have 200 msg/month, and I have so many people texting me. I want to know if looking at preview texts and not opening uses my limited 200 msg?
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 27, 2009 2:44:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

feewong wrote:

From my experience, AT&T bills you for every message that passes through their servers, regardless of whether you read them. Actually, I've seen them bill for messages that never even reached the phone, so I'm tempted to say everything sent to you will come out of those 200.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

not opening recieved text = free?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 27, 2009 2:44:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

feewong wrote:

From my experience, AT&T bills you for every message that passes through their servers, regardless of whether you read them. Actually, I've seen them bill for messages that never even reached the phone, so I'm tempted to say everything sent to you will come out of those 200.

feewong wrote:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: not opening recieved text = free?

2 of 6 (2,862 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2009 2:46:59 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by feewong on Jan 27, 2009 at 2:47:22 PM
seriously? Wow, can anyone confirm this before I hit the solution button?
Message Edited by feewong on 01-27-2009 02:47:22 PM

[ Edited ]
3 of 6 (2,860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2009 6:33:41 PM
(0)
Guru

feewong wrote:

It is confirmed.  Your billed if it is sent to your number and you receive it.  ATT does not care if open it or not.  That's your choice.

feewong wrote:

It is confirmed.  Your billed if it is sent to your number and you receive it.  ATT does not care if open it or not.  That's your choice.

4 of 6 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2009 6:41:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

John_H_jh wrote:

It's good if that's true — on prepaid account it didn't matter whether the message was received or not, I was billed anyway.

John_H_jh wrote:

It's good if that's true — on prepaid account it didn't matter whether the message was received or not, I was billed anyway.

5 of 6 (2,830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2009 4:56:43 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by efparri on Jan 29, 2009 at 4:59:54 PM

This is from the wireless service agreement:

TEXT, INSTANT MESSAGING AND PICTURE/VIDEO MESSAGING
Messages are limited to 160 characters per message. Premium text and picture/video messages are charged at their stated rates. Standard rates apply to all incoming messages when in the U.S.  Different, non-standard per message charges apply to international messages sent from the U.S. Text, Instant, Picture, and Video messages are charged when sent or received, whether read or unread, solicited or unsolicited. AT&T does not guarantee delivery of messages. Text, Instant, Picture, and Video messages, including downloaded content, not delivered within 7 days will be deleted. AT&T reserves the right to change this delivery period as needed without notification. You are charged for each part of messages that are delivered to you in multiple parts. Picture/Video Messaging, data plan, and Text Messaging may need to be provisioned on an account in order to use Picture/Video Messaging. Some elements of Picture/Video messages may not be accessible, viewable, or heard due to limitations on certain wireless phones, PCs, or e-mail. AT&T reserves the right to change the Picture/Video message size limit at any time without notification. Picture/Video Messaging pricing is for domestic messages only. When a single message is sent to multiple recipients, the sender is charged for one message for each recipient and each recipient is charged for the message received. Text message notifications may be sent to non-Picture/Video Messaging subscribers if they subscribe to Text Messaging.

Message Edited by efparri on 01-29-2009 04:59:54 PM

This is from the wireless service agreement:

TEXT, INSTANT MESSAGING AND PICTURE/VIDEO MESSAGING
Messages are limited to 160 characters per message. Premium text and picture/video messages are charged at their stated rates. Standard rates apply to all incoming messages when in the U.S.  Different, non-standard per message charges apply to international messages sent from the U.S. Text, Instant, Picture, and Video messages are charged when sent or received, whether read or unread, solicited or unsolicited. AT&T does not guarantee delivery of messages. Text, Instant, Picture, and Video messages, including downloaded content, not delivered within 7 days will be deleted. AT&T reserves the right to change this delivery period as needed without notification. You are charged for each part of messages that are delivered to you in multiple parts. Picture/Video Messaging, data plan, and Text Messaging may need to be provisioned on an account in order to use Picture/Video Messaging. Some elements of Picture/Video messages may not be accessible, viewable, or heard due to limitations on certain wireless phones, PCs, or e-mail. AT&T reserves the right to change the Picture/Video message size limit at any time without notification. Picture/Video Messaging pricing is for domestic messages only. When a single message is sent to multiple recipients, the sender is charged for one message for each recipient and each recipient is charged for the message received. Text message notifications may be sent to non-Picture/Video Messaging subscribers if they subscribe to Text Messaging.

Message Edited by efparri on 01-29-2009 04:59:54 PM

[ Edited ]
6 of 6 (2,646 Views)