Need your talk or text logs?
kk-123's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, February 7th, 2015 6:43 AM

iPhone 5s data usage uncontrolled

My son had tmobile service with his iPhone 4s for the past 8 months and the usage never went above 50-60% of his 1GB plan in any one month. Due to coverage issues in our area (hilly), I had to switch his line to AT&T and for a new iphone 5s on contract.

Starting the very next month, data usage exceeded the 1GB max and AT&T automatically charged me $20. Unfortunately I missed the email/text about 75% data usage. Since then, every month, upon getting the email from AT&T at 75% usage, I'm forced to turn off his data and it is frustrating.

He has not changed any of his apps usage patterns (Facebook messenger, Snapchat) which he used while on the tmobile network. He is very responsible and tries not to use snapchat etc on the LTE network.

Another problem is that when I switch off data, sending and receiving text (even if iMessage is turned off) does not work either.

When I checked the history of his data usage, large chunks of data is getting sent out/in at odd hours of the day and night when I know he was on Wifi (at home and at his school).

Turned off the following:

-Diagnostics

-Location services

-Notifications

-iMessage

I've seen hundreds of such complaints on this forum but never saw a resolution.  Is AT&T addressing this problem and providing tools to diagnose it or are they turning a deaf ear? Maybe it is time for me to switch back to Tmobile.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Have you checked iTunes and app store from the settings app to make sure cellular data is restricted? Also check your Facebook app settings to restrict video autoplay to Wi-Fi only. Hope that helps!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

You have the tools to diagnose this on the phone. Go to Settings/cellular and you can see by app how much cellular data was used. Just reset those statistics at the beginning of your billing cycle. You can also control which apps are allowed to use cellular data. In addition to the items you have already disabled and the Facebook video suggestion, make sure the App Store is restricted to wifi only for updates.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.