Posted Oct 23, 2013
11:03:40 AM
iPhone 5S uses cellular data even when connected to WiFi
Edited by Phil-101 on Aug 26, 2014 at 12:23:51 PM

Hi,

I switched to AT&T Mobile Share plan on 10/19/2013 with 3 lines on my account (2 iPhone 5S and 1 iPhone 5).

I've never been more concerned about my cellular data usage until I gave up my Sprint unlimited data plan. I have reason to believe that I there are cellular data usage on my iPhone 5S during the block of hours that I am definitely certain that my phone is connected to home wifi.

Below are some of the "weird" Internet/mobile web usage:

This is an 8-hour block of time when the phone was technically sleeping BUT most definitely connected to wifi
10/21/2013 08:48AM Internet/mobile web 15.0 KBs
10/21/2013 07:48AM Internet/mobile web 1.0 KBs
10/21/2013 06:48AM Internet/mobile web 1.0 KBs
10/21/2013 05:48AM Internet/mobile web 1.0 KBs
10/21/2013 04:48AM Internet/mobile web 1.0 KBs
10/21/2013 03:48AM Internet/mobile web 1.0 KBs
10/21/2013 02:48AM Internet/mobile web 1.0 KBs
10/21/2013 01:48AM Internet/mobile web 2.0 KBs
10/21/2013 12:48AM Internet/mobile web 1.0 KBs

This is again a huge block of time that I am sleeping and my phone doesn't have any push notifications activated. Most definitely, the phone is connected over wifi as we never switch off our home wifi 

10/22/2013 09:03AM Internet/mobile web 118.0 KBs
10/22/2013 07:03AM Internet/mobile web 2.0 KBs
10/22/2013 06:03AM Internet/mobile web 8.0 KBs
10/22/2013 05:03AM Internet/mobile web 2.0 KBs
10/22/2013 03:03AM Internet/mobile web 3.0 KBs
10/22/2013 02:03AM Internet/mobile web 2.0 KBs
10/22/2013 01:03AM Internet/mobile web 2.0 KBs
10/22/2013 12:03AM Internet/mobile web 4.0 KBs
10/22/2013 12:03AM Internet/mobile web 1.0 KBs

Last night, I was at home at 7:00PM and connected to wifi immediately. But then there are still cellular data usage:
10/22/2013 10:39PM Internet/mobile web 5.0 KBs
10/22/2013 08:39PM Internet/mobile web 3.0 KBs
10/22/2013 07:39PM Internet/mobile web 12.0 KBs

I switched my phone off on 10/23/2013 between 12midnight and 7:00AM to see if there would be any difference on the data usage. Notice that there were no usage for 7 hours.

This is just several hours ago while I am at home and connected to wifi.

10/23/2013 09:34AM Internet/mobile web 15.0 KBs
10/23/2013 08:34AM Internet/mobile web 1.0 KBs
10/23/2013 07:34AM Internet/mobile web 10.0 KBs

Below is an excerpt from my online chat with AT&T representative today when I inquired about these usage

Jen: It is  not always recorded in "real time"; that is, our system does a sweep at certain times of the day/evening, so that is why you may see times when you know you did not use data, but it was recorded by the system at that time. Generally it is about a 24-hour delay, but can take up to 2-5 days as well.
Me: these are all the times that the phone is at home connected to wifi... and i am sleeping
Jen: These are just the times of the day/evening that the usage charges are actually being recorded by our system, not the actual time that you used the data. Because it is delayed usage, it will/may not show the real time usage.
Me: how do you explain that today 10/23/2013 i have not left the house.. and connected to wifi. but there are still cellular data usage? what i'm saying is: i am being charge for cellular usage when my phone is connected to wifi
Jen: Well, because the system does not record in real time, so that  is past usage.

Unfortunately, I do not have any way to see which data session this was for as well. You can always turn off your cellular data when you are connected to wifi just to make sure. You will still be able to make/receive calls and send/receive texts.

I am posting the issue in this forum because I'm very concerned with these small KBs of cellular data usage. These could add up every day and eventually cause overage. Again, I have 3 iPhones in my account which I haven't reviewed thoroughly yet but have the same issues.

The solution (switch off cellular when you are connected to wifi) doesn't seem to be a solid fix. I am hoping there's a better fix.

is it IOS 7 that is causing these data usage or is this an AT&T billing error?

what if I'm streaming music via iTunes Radio over wifi then suddenly the phone decides to use Cellular Data instead?

Hi,

I switched to AT&T Mobile Share plan on 10/19/2013 with 3 lines on my account (2 iPhone 5S and 1 iPhone 5).

I've never been more concerned about my cellular data usage until I gave up my Sprint unlimited data plan. I have reason to believe that I there are cellular data usage on my iPhone 5S during the block of hours that I am definitely certain that my phone is connected to home wifi.

Below are some of the "weird" Internet/mobile web usage:

This is an 8-hour block of time when the phone was technically sleeping BUT most definitely connected to wifi
10/21/2013 08:48AM Internet/mobile web 15.0 KBs
10/21/2013 07:48AM Internet/mobile web 1.0 KBs
10/21/2013 06:48AM Internet/mobile web 1.0 KBs
10/21/2013 05:48AM Internet/mobile web 1.0 KBs
10/21/2013 04:48AM Internet/mobile web 1.0 KBs
10/21/2013 03:48AM Internet/mobile web 1.0 KBs
10/21/2013 02:48AM Internet/mobile web 1.0 KBs
10/21/2013 01:48AM Internet/mobile web 2.0 KBs
10/21/2013 12:48AM Internet/mobile web 1.0 KBs

This is again a huge block of time that I am sleeping and my phone doesn't have any push notifications activated. Most definitely, the phone is connected over wifi as we never switch off our home wifi 

10/22/2013 09:03AM Internet/mobile web 118.0 KBs
10/22/2013 07:03AM Internet/mobile web 2.0 KBs
10/22/2013 06:03AM Internet/mobile web 8.0 KBs
10/22/2013 05:03AM Internet/mobile web 2.0 KBs
10/22/2013 03:03AM Internet/mobile web 3.0 KBs
10/22/2013 02:03AM Internet/mobile web 2.0 KBs
10/22/2013 01:03AM Internet/mobile web 2.0 KBs
10/22/2013 12:03AM Internet/mobile web 4.0 KBs
10/22/2013 12:03AM Internet/mobile web 1.0 KBs

Last night, I was at home at 7:00PM and connected to wifi immediately. But then there are still cellular data usage:
10/22/2013 10:39PM Internet/mobile web 5.0 KBs
10/22/2013 08:39PM Internet/mobile web 3.0 KBs
10/22/2013 07:39PM Internet/mobile web 12.0 KBs

I switched my phone off on 10/23/2013 between 12midnight and 7:00AM to see if there would be any difference on the data usage. Notice that there were no usage for 7 hours.

This is just several hours ago while I am at home and connected to wifi.

10/23/2013 09:34AM Internet/mobile web 15.0 KBs
10/23/2013 08:34AM Internet/mobile web 1.0 KBs
10/23/2013 07:34AM Internet/mobile web 10.0 KBs

Below is an excerpt from my online chat with AT&T representative today when I inquired about these usage

Jen: It is  not always recorded in "real time"; that is, our system does a sweep at certain times of the day/evening, so that is why you may see times when you know you did not use data, but it was recorded by the system at that time. Generally it is about a 24-hour delay, but can take up to 2-5 days as well.
Me: these are all the times that the phone is at home connected to wifi... and i am sleeping
Jen: These are just the times of the day/evening that the usage charges are actually being recorded by our system, not the actual time that you used the data. Because it is delayed usage, it will/may not show the real time usage.
Me: how do you explain that today 10/23/2013 i have not left the house.. and connected to wifi. but there are still cellular data usage? what i'm saying is: i am being charge for cellular usage when my phone is connected to wifi
Jen: Well, because the system does not record in real time, so that  is past usage.

Unfortunately, I do not have any way to see which data session this was for as well. You can always turn off your cellular data when you are connected to wifi just to make sure. You will still be able to make/receive calls and send/receive texts.

I am posting the issue in this forum because I'm very concerned with these small KBs of cellular data usage. These could add up every day and eventually cause overage. Again, I have 3 iPhones in my account which I haven't reviewed thoroughly yet but have the same issues.

The solution (switch off cellular when you are connected to wifi) doesn't seem to be a solid fix. I am hoping there's a better fix.

is it IOS 7 that is causing these data usage or is this an AT&T billing error?

what if I'm streaming music via iTunes Radio over wifi then suddenly the phone decides to use Cellular Data instead?

iPhone 5S uses cellular data even when connected to WiFi

[ Edited ]
31 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(31)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 12:15:53 PM
(0)
Explorer
Some services only work over cellular, even while on WIFi, examples would be Visual Voicemail or location services. One really nice feature in iOS 7 is that it makes monitoring and controlling cellular usage much easier. In Settings > Cellular you can scroll down and see usage breakdowns by application as well as turn cellular data on or off by application, something that was lacking in previous versions of iOS. Hope this helps!
Some services only work over cellular, even while on WIFi, examples would be Visual Voicemail or location services. One really nice feature in iOS 7 is that it makes monitoring and controlling cellular usage much easier. In Settings > Cellular you can scroll down and see usage breakdowns by application as well as turn cellular data on or off by application, something that was lacking in previous versions of iOS. Hope this helps!

Re: iPhone 5S uses cellular data even when connected to WiFi

2 of 32 (44,739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 1:10:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by mendoza1913 on Oct 23, 2013 at 1:31:24 PM

so how do i find out what are the "midnight" charges are for? those that occur between 12MN to 7AM when the user and the phone are both sleeping.

here are 3 different scenarios which I'm currently struggling at right now:

Cellular ON / Wifi ON

unwanted data charges that could add up exceeding monthly limit; iPhone uses cellular data instead of wifi

Cellular OFF / Wifi ON

solution to avoid unwanted data charge.

this is generally okay if you are indoors and have steady wifi connection but what if you step out and lose both connection

Cellular OFF / Wifi OFF

the messages you send via iMessage are now sent as SMS which can cause International SMS charges.

so how do i find out what are the "midnight" charges are for? those that occur between 12MN to 7AM when the user and the phone are both sleeping.

Cellular ON / Wifi ON

unwanted data charges that could add up exceeding monthly limit; iPhone uses cellular data instead of wifi

Cellular OFF / Wifi ON

this is generally okay if you are indoors and have steady wifi connection but what if you step out and lose both connection

Cellular OFF / Wifi OFF

the messages you send via iMessage are now sent as SMS which can cause International SMS charges.

[ Edited ]
3 of 32 (44,730 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 2:08:50 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:10:20 PM

mendoza1913 wrote:

Cellular ON / Wifi ON

Cellular OFF / Wifi ON

Cellular OFF / Wifi OFF

facebook auto update

itunes auto sync

locating services querying cellular towers

twitter auto updates

icloud backup

will all automaticly happen, plus what ever other apps you have on the phone that are not stock.

when the phone goes into hibernation mode, aka sleeping the wifi radio is turned off to conserve battery power,  any of the above services will utilize cellular data. this is done by the design of the device.A few versions of IOS ago it used to keep the wifi in if charging, but near the end of IOS 5 or sometime in IOS 6 this was removed.

remember if you turn cellular data off any function that requires cellular data will not function - visual voice mail is a good example

mendoza1913 wrote:

Cellular ON / Wifi ON

Cellular OFF / Wifi ON

Cellular OFF / Wifi OFF

facebook auto update

itunes auto sync

locating services querying cellular towers

twitter auto updates

icloud backup

will all automaticly happen, plus what ever other apps you have on the phone that are not stock.

when the phone goes into hibernation mode, aka sleeping the wifi radio is turned off to conserve battery power,  any of the above services will utilize cellular data. this is done by the design of the device.A few versions of IOS ago it used to keep the wifi in if charging, but near the end of IOS 5 or sometime in IOS 6 this was removed.

remember if you turn cellular data off any function that requires cellular data will not function - visual voice mail is a good example

[ Edited ]
4 of 32 (44,714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 4:31:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

I never realized that wifi shuts off even when connected to a power cable.

I will run a test tonight and shut off all apps and see what happens with the data usage report.

Is this wifi/cellular glitch only common with iPhones?

I will run a test tonight and shut off all apps and see what happens with the data usage report.

5 of 32 (44,693 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2013 5:15:47 PM
(0)
Expert

mendoza1913 wrote:

first not a glitch, a design feature and most smartphones handle it the same way.

Download and read the terms of service for an app named Data Usage by Onavo Inc, let it run for about a week to ten days and that will tell you exactly what is using wha. The reason i state to read the tos is they use a unique method of saving memory on the phone.

mendoza1913 wrote:

first not a glitch, a design feature and most smartphones handle it the same way.

Download and read the terms of service for an app named Data Usage by Onavo Inc, let it run for about a week to ten days and that will tell you exactly what is using wha. The reason i state to read the tos is they use a unique method of saving memory on the phone.

6 of 32 (44,685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 9:36:38 AM
(0)
Contributor

This just happened to me again.  This is the 3rd time my grand daughter's phone went over the limit of her data plan in less than a year.  It all started when she got the iPone5.  I called Apple, they said the phone is not the problem, it's AT&T.  I called AT&T every time they charge me the extra $10.00 for the overage, they say the same thing, it's not them.  I asked them to scale the useage when she reached her limit, like other carriers do, they said they don't have that ability, I asked them to txt me, the main account number, when she is about to reach her limit, they said they don't have that ability either.  AT&T makes over $10 billion dollars a month, they literally penny pinch customers, and they don't have the ability or refused to update their systems.  I called AT&T Tuesday night, Feb 11th, they said to call Customer Service the next morning and explain to them my situation.  I called yesterday Wednesday, 
Feb 12, morning and they said the message said customer services was closed and to call the next business day, I even called back and puch sales line and it wasn't working either.  I called this morning and they answered the phone, I asked them why they were closed yesterday and they said because they were updating their system but they were open.  I'm confused I thought customer service was 24X7.  Anyway I explained that AT&T is still using the dataplan while the iphone5 is on wifi, and this is the 3rd time this happened, and i had called Apple, they said call AT&T.  She said it's not AT&T.  Confused again.  But I believe Apple over AT&T.  I have been a customer for AT&T before they sold to it Cingular and I know that AT&T changes their stories several times depending on who you talk to.  Oh one of the things that I've been noticing, they have no notes of some of my previous converstions on the computer.   I have no proof that AT&T is engaging in fraudlant activities.  But I don't understand why they refused to add programs and systems to let customers know, and better control over their plans, get authorization before AT&T charges them. 

This just happened to me again.  This is the 3rd time my grand daughter's phone went over the limit of her data plan in less than a year.  It all started when she got the iPone5.  I called Apple, they said the phone is not the problem, it's AT&T.  I called AT&T every time they charge me the extra $10.00 for the overage, they say the same thing, it's not them.  I asked them to scale the useage when she reached her limit, like other carriers do, they said they don't have that ability, I asked them to txt me, the main account number, when she is about to reach her limit, they said they don't have that ability either.  AT&T makes over $10 billion dollars a month, they literally penny pinch customers, and they don't have the ability or refused to update their systems.  I called AT&T Tuesday night, Feb 11th, they said to call Customer Service the next morning and explain to them my situation.  I called yesterday Wednesday, 
Feb 12, morning and they said the message said customer services was closed and to call the next business day, I even called back and puch sales line and it wasn't working either.  I called this morning and they answered the phone, I asked them why they were closed yesterday and they said because they were updating their system but they were open.  I'm confused I thought customer service was 24X7.  Anyway I explained that AT&T is still using the dataplan while the iphone5 is on wifi, and this is the 3rd time this happened, and i had called Apple, they said call AT&T.  She said it's not AT&T.  Confused again.  But I believe Apple over AT&T.  I have been a customer for AT&T before they sold to it Cingular and I know that AT&T changes their stories several times depending on who you talk to.  Oh one of the things that I've been noticing, they have no notes of some of my previous converstions on the computer.   I have no proof that AT&T is engaging in fraudlant activities.  But I don't understand why they refused to add programs and systems to let customers know, and better control over their plans, get authorization before AT&T charges them. 

7 of 32 (42,395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 11:06:09 AM
(0)
Expert

Gabe9 wrote:

youi can download one of the myriad of apps that are available to keep track of data usage for free on the google play store or itunes. The first reaction to a carrier supplied app to do this would be one of distrust as to teh accuracy of the reporting app in favor of the carrier over the end user, better to use a independant sourced app

Gabe9 wrote:

youi can download one of the myriad of apps that are available to keep track of data usage for free on the google play store or itunes. The first reaction to a carrier supplied app to do this would be one of distrust as to teh accuracy of the reporting app in favor of the carrier over the end user, better to use a independant sourced app

8 of 32 (42,385 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2014 7:11:03 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hello im working at att call center, at customer services, and i saw that problem in a lot of cases, but i have no idea how report that big issue to correct people, my supervisor toldme that is not our prolem cos that data consuptions is some app and customer install on his devices, but for exactly info is every 3 hours, at the exactly hours, 3 am 6 am, 9 am, 12pm, 3 pm etc, and cand reach more than a gigabyte on a couple days, some people call cos every month upgrade his plan to 15 Gb and the to 20 gb and 40 gb and the problem is growing every month, im keep working in found one solution, but im not in USA, i just working on a customer services call center.

Hello im working at att call center, at customer services, and i saw that problem in a lot of cases, but i have no idea how report that big issue to correct people, my supervisor toldme that is not our prolem cos that data consuptions is some app and customer install on his devices, but for exactly info is every 3 hours, at the exactly hours, 3 am 6 am, 9 am, 12pm, 3 pm etc, and cand reach more than a gigabyte on a couple days, some people call cos every month upgrade his plan to 15 Gb and the to 20 gb and 40 gb and the problem is growing every month, im keep working in found one solution, but im not in USA, i just working on a customer services call center.

9 of 32 (35,992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2014 9:32:34 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same problem.  I am disappointed in the I phone 5s for not giving me the option to turn off background data via cellular.. just via wifi like my other phone a Samsung Galaxy 4s... We just bought the phones on May 31... I am trying to resolve the data usage issue but am thinking of seeing if ATT will exchange the phone, even though it has been more than 30 days... however I think I have made a good faith effort to turn off things manually.. except all cellular data because I shouldn't have to constantly switch the phone settings at night (cell data usage is occuring while on the network but while the phone is locked and we are sleeping)...

I am having the same problem.  I am disappointed in the I phone 5s for not giving me the option to turn off background data via cellular.. just via wifi like my other phone a Samsung Galaxy 4s... We just bought the phones on May 31... I am trying to resolve the data usage issue but am thinking of seeing if ATT will exchange the phone, even though it has been more than 30 days... however I think I have made a good faith effort to turn off things manually.. except all cellular data because I shouldn't have to constantly switch the phone settings at night (cell data usage is occuring while on the network but while the phone is locked and we are sleeping)...

10 of 32 (33,873 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2014 9:20:29 AM
(0)
Contributor

This is definately an AT&T issue.  We have 3 different types of cell phones being used by my family and in my home, and all show these erratic data charges.  It ould logically make sense to me that certain services must use 4G, however I am being charged during times that my phone is completely shut off, which is every night at 8AM, turning back on at 7AM.  Reviewing my logs on a 24 hour rotation - well the answer still doesn't add up correctly.  I have even tested this by turning my phone off for a full 24 hours and there are still KB times being charged to my account.

Try again AT&T or return our data back to us.

This is definately an AT&T issue.  We have 3 different types of cell phones being used by my family and in my home, and all show these erratic data charges.  It ould logically make sense to me that certain services must use 4G, however I am being charged during times that my phone is completely shut off, which is every night at 8AM, turning back on at 7AM.  Reviewing my logs on a 24 hour rotation - well the answer still doesn't add up correctly.  I have even tested this by turning my phone off for a full 24 hours and there are still KB times being charged to my account.

Try again AT&T or return our data back to us.

11 of 32 (33,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2014 9:43:04 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Aug 20, 2014 at 10:00:13 AM

Before I turned off his cellular data altogether, my son's new iPhone 5s running iOS7 was using 1 gigabyte of data per day while sitting at home connected to WiFi. His previous iPhone 4s had no such problem. And yes, he spends hours listening to SoundCloud and watching YouTube, but he's connected to WiFi while doing it!!! I've called AT&T and Apple, been given all the lame excuses, and been talked down to like I know nothing. ("The data was used, so you must pay for it.") I've been an IT professional for over 20 years and have provisioned iPhones for users in two different corporate environments. This is the 14th iPhone I've purchased from AT&T. This absolutely is not right.

After three straight months of $400 phone bills, I've turned off all cellular data on his phone. When we're out, he connects via the hotspot on my Galaxy S4 (where his activities consume only a fraction of the data the same activities on the iPhone 5s' data plan consume).

Something is terribly wrong -- both AT&T and Apple know it and are covering it up. There are THOUSANDS of people experiencing this problem. Just look at the counts on this topic in this forum alone: Over 14,000 people have read this thread. I'm fed up with AT&T'S denials, lack of accountability and willingness to sit back and collect what is surely millions of dollars in overage fees from consumers who have no recourse.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Before I turned off his cellular data altogether, my son's new iPhone 5s running iOS7 was using 1 gigabyte of data per day while sitting at home connected to WiFi. His previous iPhone 4s had no such problem. And yes, he spends hours listening to SoundCloud and watching YouTube, but he's connected to WiFi while doing it!!! I've called AT&T and Apple, been given all the lame excuses, and been talked down to like I know nothing. ("The data was used, so you must pay for it.") I've been an IT professional for over 20 years and have provisioned iPhones for users in two different corporate environments. This is the 14th iPhone I've purchased from AT&T. This absolutely is not right.

After three straight months of $400 phone bills, I've turned off all cellular data on his phone. When we're out, he connects via the hotspot on my Galaxy S4 (where his activities consume only a fraction of the data the same activities on the iPhone 5s' data plan consume).

Something is terribly wrong -- both AT&T and Apple know it and are covering it up. There are THOUSANDS of people experiencing this problem. Just look at the counts on this topic in this forum alone: Over 14,000 people have read this thread. I'm fed up with AT&T'S denials, lack of accountability and willingness to sit back and collect what is surely millions of dollars in overage fees from consumers who have no recourse.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
12 of 32 (29,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2014 3:17:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have 2 iphone 5's and 2 iphone 4's. One of the the 5's has the exact same problem. It uses data, all the time, even when she is connected to home wifi. I upgraded my plan, but we still go over. This has been ongoing for 18 months. We have spent hours on the phone with tech support, and hours in the apple store. No one can fix the problem. Every month AT&T credits the overage, but it is annoying to have to call every month. The last rep tried to tell me were eligable for an upgrade, and that a new phone may work better. I agree but not willing to spend all that $$$ and no guarantee. 

I have 2 iphone 5's and 2 iphone 4's. One of the the 5's has the exact same problem. It uses data, all the time, even when she is connected to home wifi. I upgraded my plan, but we still go over. This has been ongoing for 18 months. We have spent hours on the phone with tech support, and hours in the apple store. No one can fix the problem. Every month AT&T credits the overage, but it is annoying to have to call every month. The last rep tried to tell me were eligable for an upgrade, and that a new phone may work better. I agree but not willing to spend all that $$$ and no guarantee. 

13 of 32 (29,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2014 10:20:17 AM
(0)
Employee

There is a 14 day buyers remorse period. If they suggest an upgrade, get the phone and moniter your usage over 14 days. You should use a little under half of what your monthly data alottment is by that time using what you normally do. If it appears you are still going over, or the phone isn't the problem, you can return it w/i 14 day sand just pay the restocking fee. You won't be under contract any more and you will be free to explore other options to find a resolution.

There is a 14 day buyers remorse period. If they suggest an upgrade, get the phone and moniter your usage over 14 days. You should use a little under half of what your monthly data alottment is by that time using what you normally do. If it appears you are still going over, or the phone isn't the problem, you can return it w/i 14 day sand just pay the restocking fee. You won't be under contract any more and you will be free to explore other options to find a resolution.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

14 of 32 (29,160 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2014 8:48:26 AM
(0)
Contributor

silent_shh wrote:

I need more info about this scenario.  I have a iphone 5 on my account that is transmitting data at exactly 3, 6, 9, 12 am and pm every day regardless of wifi conncection, it is listed as Int/MD (internet mobile data).  What could this be?  Data can range from 10 to 9000 KB, but every 3 hours without end!  If anyone has a clue, please let me know.  Thanks

silent_shh wrote:

I need more info about this scenario.  I have a iphone 5 on my account that is transmitting data at exactly 3, 6, 9, 12 am and pm every day regardless of wifi conncection, it is listed as Int/MD (internet mobile data).  What could this be?  Data can range from 10 to 9000 KB, but every 3 hours without end!  If anyone has a clue, please let me know.  Thanks

15 of 32 (27,723 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2014 10:33:25 AM
(0)
Tutor
An update: the Genius bar at the Apple Store swapped out the phone. Problem solved (no thanks to AT&T). Apparently, there was an issue with the phone (that I bought from AT&T.

The working theory is that, because we have poor AT&T coverage at our house, a marginal antenna in the phone could have been constantly trashing by losing the signal and reattaining the signal over and over resulting in excess data usage.

Fyi, the Genius also said there is no truth to the rumor that the iPhone switches from wifi to cellular data whenever it goes to sleep.

Thanks!
--DavidR

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 4. Please forgive typos and any other unrelated gibberish...
An update: the Genius bar at the Apple Store swapped out the phone. Problem solved (no thanks to AT&T). Apparently, there was an issue with the phone (that I bought from AT&T.

The working theory is that, because we have poor AT&T coverage at our house, a marginal antenna in the phone could have been constantly trashing by losing the signal and reattaining the signal over and over resulting in excess data usage.

Fyi, the Genius also said there is no truth to the rumor that the iPhone switches from wifi to cellular data whenever it goes to sleep.

Thanks!
--DavidR

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 4. Please forgive typos and any other unrelated gibberish...

16 of 32 (27,711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2014 9:29:25 AM
(0)
Tutor
I am going through the same thing!

17 of 32 (25,281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2014 9:31:10 AM
(0)
Tutor
I've spent several hours on phone with AT&T and went to Apple store because was having problems hooking up to wifi. Going to give apple store another shot.
I've spent several hours on phone with AT&T and went to Apple store because was having problems hooking up to wifi. Going to give apple store another shot.

I've spent several hours on phone with AT&T and went to A...

18 of 32 (25,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2014 9:35:47 AM
(0)
Tutor
I believe AT&T knows about this, as well as Verizon, and they are not doing anything about because it is to their advantage. I checked my data usage on myatt and the detailed list added up to 98 MB, but their total was 222MB. When I called they have me some crap about all data usage hasn't bee logged yet. What does that have to do with it? If you have a list of numbers and a total at the bottom, then those numbers need to add up to the total, PERIOD!!!! If it hasn't been logged yet then it wouldn't be in the total or the detailed list.
I believe AT&T knows about this, as well as Verizon, and they are not doing anything about because it is to their advantage. I checked my data usage on myatt and the detailed list added up to 98 MB, but their total was 222MB. When I called they have me some crap about all data usage hasn't bee logged yet. What does that have to do with it? If you have a list of numbers and a total at the bottom, then those numbers need to add up to the total, PERIOD!!!! If it hasn't been logged yet then it wouldn't be in the total or the detailed list.

I believe AT&T knows about this, as well as Verizon, and...

19 of 32 (25,278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2014 9:38:04 AM
(0)
Tutor
First time I called, I was told by the tech that increased data usage should be expected if upgrading the phone. To which I replied, not a 500% increase. I went from using 200MB a month to over 1.2 GB a month, and he wanted me to believe that's normal
First time I called, I was told by the tech that increased data usage should be expected if upgrading the phone. To which I replied, not a 500% increase. I went from using 200MB a month to over 1.2 GB a month, and he wanted me to believe that's normal

First time I called, I was told by the tech that increase...

20 of 32 (25,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2014 7:53:44 AM
(0)
Contributor

This has been happening to us for several months and with 7 phones on our account we go over our high data limit every month. I have restricted the data on our kids phones and have checked all the settings. One thing I did notice was under privacy ... there is a setting that allows diagnostic data to be transmitted from your phone. It looks like a LOT of data is sent. So I turned it off.

Tonight i am going to go through the settings with my kids and do the same thing and see if it helps ...Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 10.36.05 AM.png

These charges happen almost evey day at the same time ... very weird. I hope that the change I made in the phone settings stops these .. we will see.

This has been happening to us for several months and with 7 phones on our account we go over our high data limit every month. I have restricted the data on our kids phones and have checked all the settings. One thing I did notice was under privacy ... there is a setting that allows diagnostic data to be transmitted from your phone. It looks like a LOT of data is sent. So I turned it off.

Tonight i am going to go through the settings with my kids and do the same thing and see if it helps ...Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 10.36.05 AM.png

These charges happen almost evey day at the same time ... very weird. I hope that the change I made in the phone settings stops these .. we will see.

21 of 32 (22,744 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2014 6:58:11 AM
(1)
Contributor
This is how it really works with all the ATT cellular data/ Wifi.
This is how it really works with all the ATT cellular data/ Wifi.

This is how it really works with all the ATT cellular dat...

22 of 32 (21,297 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2014 7:03:31 AM
(0)
Contributor
When you are in your house and your screen is visible, you are using Wifi. As soon as your screens fades to black in screen saver mode, Wifi is turned off to "save power". So when push updates occur at night (Facebook videos, google drive synch, etc) it is using cellular data. So I signed up for the parent restriction plan and restricted the times at night for text/data usage. It worked so well that AT&T discontinued it last month. Now I am back to overages again.
When you are in your house and your screen is visible, you are using Wifi. As soon as your screens fades to black in screen saver mode, Wifi is turned off to "save power". So when push updates occur at night (Facebook videos, google drive synch, etc) it is using cellular data. So I signed up for the parent restriction plan and restricted the times at night for text/data usage. It worked so well that AT&T discontinued it last month. Now I am back to overages again.

When you are in your house and your screen is visible, yo...

23 of 32 (21,293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2014 8:18:27 AM
(0)
Contributor

Just Discover this has been happening to our 4 -IPhones for years 

We just took our son's phone off our family plan and he started his own plan with the purchase of the Iphone 6.  Already up to his 1 g of data in 11 days!  

That is when I started to look at his usage and discovered when he was home on our Wifi he was being charged usage by ATT.  

Then I looked at our family plan (we have 10g so never an issue) and the three remaining Iphones all were charged when I know for sure we were home using Wifi. 

The only phone NEVER using data (was the family joke every month) was my husbands blackberry!

Went to ATT - no resolve.  SO I was starting a log with my phone to fight the big corp world of ATT and I found this forum.

I know (as my husband told the ATT guy) I could not be the only one having this issue.

But where do we go from here????  Reading on this forum it seems that neither Apple or Att will take responiblity.  

Any ideas out there?

Just Discover this has been happening to our 4 -IPhones for years 

We just took our son's phone off our family plan and he started his own plan with the purchase of the Iphone 6.  Already up to his 1 g of data in 11 days!  

That is when I started to look at his usage and discovered when he was home on our Wifi he was being charged usage by ATT.  

Then I looked at our family plan (we have 10g so never an issue) and the three remaining Iphones all were charged when I know for sure we were home using Wifi. 

The only phone NEVER using data (was the family joke every month) was my husbands blackberry!

Went to ATT - no resolve.  SO I was starting a log with my phone to fight the big corp world of ATT and I found this forum.

I know (as my husband told the ATT guy) I could not be the only one having this issue.

But where do we go from here????  Reading on this forum it seems that neither Apple or Att will take responiblity.  

Any ideas out there?

Being charged for WIFI Usage

24 of 32 (18,307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2014 9:04:42 AM
(0)
Scholar

I'm not 100% sure if the following is an iOS 8-only feature but since your son is using an iPhone 6 it's sort of a moot point--anyways you may be able to see which app(s) or feature on his phone are consuming all that data by going into Settings -> Cellular, then scroll down to the "Use Cellular Data" section to see how much cellular data any of the apps listed for which the toggle is turned on "green" have consumed; you can also tap "System Services" near the bottom of that screen to see if the data hog may show up in there as well.  If you believe the issue is still occurring, you should first reset the statistics ("Reset Statistics" at the bottom of the "Cellular" settings screen) so that you'll have a fresh start as to what apps/features may be the culprit.

I'm not 100% sure if the following is an iOS 8-only feature but since your son is using an iPhone 6 it's sort of a moot point--anyways you may be able to see which app(s) or feature on his phone are consuming all that data by going into Settings -> Cellular, then scroll down to the "Use Cellular Data" section to see how much cellular data any of the apps listed for which the toggle is turned on "green" have consumed; you can also tap "System Services" near the bottom of that screen to see if the data hog may show up in there as well.  If you believe the issue is still occurring, you should first reset the statistics ("Reset Statistics" at the bottom of the "Cellular" settings screen) so that you'll have a fresh start as to what apps/features may be the culprit.

Re: Being charged for WIFI Usage

25 of 32 (18,285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2014 9:08:14 AM
(0)
Contributor

Will do as you suggested!  How about my Iphone 4?

I was home all day yesterday using my wifi but still have charges against my data.  I just turned off cellular to see if today will be different.

I was home all day yesterday using my wifi but still have charges against my data.  I just turned off cellular to see if today will be different.

26 of 32 (18,282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2014 5:33:52 PM
(0)
Scholar

LouiseNJ wrote:

Assuming that the the steps I mentioned in my previous post are iOS 8-specific, it won't work for an iPhone 4 since it cannot be updated to iOS 8.x; I think there are a few iTunes Store apps out there that can keep track of how much cellular data is being used and by what--I can't remember the name though...sorry!

LouiseNJ wrote:

Assuming that the the steps I mentioned in my previous post are iOS 8-specific, it won't work for an iPhone 4 since it cannot be updated to iOS 8.x; I think there are a few iTunes Store apps out there that can keep track of how much cellular data is being used and by what--I can't remember the name though...sorry!

27 of 32 (18,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2014 6:37:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same problem and none of this starting happening until I switched from unlimited data to a a 2g plan.

So what is being done to solve the problem.  I can't afford this!

I am having the same problem and none of this starting happening until I switched from unlimited data to a a 2g plan.

So what is being done to solve the problem.  I can't afford this!

28 of 32 (18,199 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2014 5:08:36 AM
(0)
Tutor

We are having the same problems with our iphone 5 phones....if AT&T wants to continue to say it's NOT their problem, then maybe we all switch to one of their competitors!  Then we will see who's problem is is.  It's their service interacting with the iphones that is causing these extreme data charges, so it is their problem whether they want to admit it or not!  We are now looking into other plans with other carriers for the same reasons -- no one knows why this is happening or how to fix it!

We are having the same problems with our iphone 5 phones....if AT&T wants to continue to say it's NOT their problem, then maybe we all switch to one of their competitors!  Then we will see who's problem is is.  It's their service interacting with the iphones that is causing these extreme data charges, so it is their problem whether they want to admit it or not!  We are now looking into other plans with other carriers for the same reasons -- no one knows why this is happening or how to fix it!

29 of 32 (16,068 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2014 7:27:59 PM
(1)
ACE - Professor

cathyfitzgerald wrote:

These problems are not happening for all customers, so it is something that appears to be phone specific.  I have had iPhones on the AT&T network for many years, and I moved from unlimited to metered data some time ago.  I did not see any change in my data usage patterns when I made the switch, and the only changes I've seen in my data usage patterns can be traced to specific app updates which changed the way those apps used data, or changed the way I use the apps causing them to use more data.

Many customers who moved from unlimited data to metered data also replaced their at the same time, and they post in these forums "nothing's changed".  Well, I hate to say it, but getting a new phone does change things.  Even just updating the iOS on your existing phone changes the way it acts.  We aren't even touching on the fact that many apps updated in the past several months which caused them to start sucking down more data on your cell phone.  One of the biggest offenders of iPhone data "bloat" is Facebook.  They made changes to their app to download more data in the background, they started automaticly playing videos when you scrolled over them, which would suck up lots of your data plan, they did all of this in order to make their app seem "better" to you, all at a hidden cost to you that they would also silently us your cellular data plan, and maybe cost you more money.

If you have "proof" that AT&T is doing all of this intentionally, I bet there are many people who would love to talk to you, and you could make a decent profit from that "proof".  For some reason, I suspect that you only suspect this, because the changes happened about the same time that you switched from unlimited to metered data.  If you look closely enough, I bet you can find the causes of your change in data consumption, and you will probably also find that they are not due to AT&T "cheating you".

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

cathyfitzgerald wrote:

These problems are not happening for all customers, so it is something that appears to be phone specific.  I have had iPhones on the AT&T network for many years, and I moved from unlimited to metered data some time ago.  I did not see any change in my data usage patterns when I made the switch, and the only changes I've seen in my data usage patterns can be traced to specific app updates which changed the way those apps used data, or changed the way I use the apps causing them to use more data.

Many customers who moved from unlimited data to metered data also replaced their at the same time, and they post in these forums "nothing's changed".  Well, I hate to say it, but getting a new phone does change things.  Even just updating the iOS on your existing phone changes the way it acts.  We aren't even touching on the fact that many apps updated in the past several months which caused them to start sucking down more data on your cell phone.  One of the biggest offenders of iPhone data "bloat" is Facebook.  They made changes to their app to download more data in the background, they started automaticly playing videos when you scrolled over them, which would suck up lots of your data plan, they did all of this in order to make their app seem "better" to you, all at a hidden cost to you that they would also silently us your cellular data plan, and maybe cost you more money.

If you have "proof" that AT&T is doing all of this intentionally, I bet there are many people who would love to talk to you, and you could make a decent profit from that "proof".  For some reason, I suspect that you only suspect this, because the changes happened about the same time that you switched from unlimited to metered data.  If you look closely enough, I bet you can find the causes of your change in data consumption, and you will probably also find that they are not due to AT&T "cheating you".

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

30 of 32 (15,917 Views)