Need your talk or text logs?
iMessage log's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, March 20th, 2014 11:27 PM

iMessages removed from AT&T usage report....why???

when updating to new 7 version my AT&T text usage log no longer post iMessage numbers. I would like AT&T or Apple to return this feature. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@iMessage log wrote:

when updating to new 7 version my AT&T text usage log no longer post iMessage numbers. I would like AT&T or Apple to return this feature. Has anyone experienced this problem?

If you are talking about your bill showing numbers you have sent or received texts from, it has never shown iMessages. iMessage is an Apple system, ATT has no visibility into their system and never has. iMessages show up on your bill only as data transfers. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

IN CORRECT... my bills online usage reports since 2012 listed all my texts including iMessages and an Apple Sr. Advisor has confirmed that his bill back in Nov. also posted the text messages.... This is NOT an Apple issue  but AT&T. Check your billed usage reports available online.
Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@iMessage log wrote:

IN CORRECT... my bills online usage reports since 2012 listed all my texts including iMessages and an Apple Sr. Advisor has confirmed that his bill back in Nov. also posted the text messages.... This is NOT an Apple issue  but AT&T. Check your billed usage reports available online.
Thanks

I have and sorry to disagree with you but iMessages have never been there. From ATT's view, it is just data and only shows on the bill as a data transfer (no other information included such as #) when using cellular data. Any iMessages sent/received while on wifi aren't on your bill or usage reports at all. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

My online text/data usage report from AT&T DOES have the text messages that were sent and recieved from other iphone users using imessage. I have verified this will Damon an ATT supervisor and an Apple Sr. advisor. Originally the imessage text were not to be seen or logged on the carrier but that did not occur. Howerver, with the new latest update the change was made... I am wanting the change to be returned to orginal set up to where all texts are posted/logged. If you are an iphone/imessage user please check your online usage report prior to the lastest 7 version iphone update. Thanks for your help.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@iMessage log wrote:

My online text/data usage report from AT&T DOES have the text messages that were sent and recieved from other iphone users using imessage. I have verified this will Damon an ATT supervisor and an Apple Sr. advisor. Originally the imessage text were not to be seen or logged on the carrier but that did not occur. Howerver, with the new latest update the change was made... I am wanting the change to be returned to orginal set up to where all texts are posted/logged. If you are an iphone/imessage user please check your online usage report prior to the lastest 7 version iphone update. Thanks for your help.

Sorry, I'm still not believing you. I've looked at pre IOS7 bills and don't see any iMessages and I know both myself and wife iMessage quite regularly. Could you post some evidence? What are you seeing that makes you believe iMessages are being captured on usage reports?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@iMessage log wrote:

If the Apple Imessage servers are down, having communication problems, cannot verify the target phone is connected to the Imessage servers or cannot be contact the Apple application will send the message as a SMS text message. Have never seen a Imessage show up on any of the iphones that are on multiple family plans that did not default to being sent as a sms message.

The RFP for the standard SMS text message is set to utilize the voice portion of your cell service, so these show up, the Imessage utilizes data when it sends to another iphone. This is why when a iphone user switches to a non-apple device they have problems recieving SMS message that iphone users send them, the message goes to the Apple servers, the application looks up the target phone number, if it finds it it relays it to the destination that is set on the target account, if the receiving user has not removed thier old device from their setpup profile on the apple website the message will never be passed to the recieving phone. ATT had nothing to do with this, it is the way Apple wrote the Imessage application.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

11/09/2013 06:06PM
Dad
Text/instant messaging0.00
Dad
Chris
11/09/2013 05:07PM
Dad
11/09/2013 05:04PM
Chris
Multimedia messaging0.00

Here is a sample from my pre-ios7 Nov. 2013 bill. Dad and Chris own Iphones and use imessage with me. Hope you can help.

Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@iMessage log wrote:
Dad
Dad
Chris
11/09/2013 05:07PM
Dad
11/09/2013 05:04PM
Chris
Multimedia messaging0.00

Here is a sample from my pre-ios7 Nov. 2013 bill. Dad and Chris own Iphones and use imessage with me. Hope you can help.

Thanks

Sorry, but that is not proof. As Wingrider said, the iPhone message app will send the message as regular SMS if it can't deliver the message thru iMessage. If you or Dad or Chris still have those messages on your phone, you can tell whether it was sent/received via iMessage or via SMS. On the sending side, iMessages are in blue, SMS messages are in green. On the receiving side it is a bit harder to tell but each time a message is received via a different source (iMessage vs SMS), you will see "iMessage" or "Text Message" above the date. If all incoming messages came from the same source, scroll to the top and you should see the source. 

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

10 years ago

I agree with sandblaster and others. imessage cannot be on a bill because it's a wifi texting application. If they were 10 yr olds with iPods wold get bills. imessage is no different than textfree or pinger or Skype.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

10 years ago

*if they were 10 year olds with iPods, they would get bills.

(Can't see how to edit on the phone)
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.