Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 20, 2014
4:27:43 PM
iMessages removed from AT&T usage report....why???

when updating to new 7 version my AT&T text usage log no longer post iMessage numbers. I would like AT&T or Apple to return this feature. Has anyone experienced this problem?

when updating to new 7 version my AT&T text usage log no longer post iMessage numbers. I would like AT&T or Apple to return this feature. Has anyone experienced this problem?

(2)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 20, 2014 7:33:47 PM
(2)
Former Employee

iMessage log wrote:

If you are talking about your bill showing numbers you have sent or received texts from, it has never shown iMessages. iMessage is an Apple system, ATT has no visibility into their system and never has. iMessages show up on your bill only as data transfers. 

Accepted Solution

iMessages removed from AT&T usage report....why???

40 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(40)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 20, 2014 7:33:47 PM
(2)
Former Employee

iMessage log wrote:

If you are talking about your bill showing numbers you have sent or received texts from, it has never shown iMessages. iMessage is an Apple system, ATT has no visibility into their system and never has. iMessages show up on your bill only as data transfers. 

iMessage log wrote:

Re: iMessages removed from AT&T usage report....why???

2 of 41 (79,416 Views)
Solution
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2014 8:14:36 PM
(1)
Tutor

IN CORRECT... my bills online usage reports since 2012 listed all my texts including iMessages and an Apple Sr. Advisor has confirmed that his bill back in Nov. also posted the text messages.... This is NOT an Apple issue  but AT&T. Check your billed usage reports available online.
Thanks

IN CORRECT... my bills online usage reports since 2012 listed all my texts including iMessages and an Apple Sr. Advisor has confirmed that his bill back in Nov. also posted the text messages.... This is NOT an Apple issue  but AT&T. Check your billed usage reports available online.
Thanks

3 of 41 (79,405 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 5:07:22 AM
(1)
Former Employee
Edited by sandblaster on Mar 21, 2014 at 5:14:37 AM

iMessage log wrote:

Thanks

I have and sorry to disagree with you but iMessages have never been there. From ATT's view, it is just data and only shows on the bill as a data transfer (no other information included such as #) when using cellular data. Any iMessages sent/received while on wifi aren't on your bill or usage reports at all. 

iMessage log wrote:

Thanks

I have and sorry to disagree with you but iMessages have never been there. From ATT's view, it is just data and only shows on the bill as a data transfer (no other information included such as #) when using cellular data. Any iMessages sent/received while on wifi aren't on your bill or usage reports at all. 

[ Edited ]
4 of 41 (79,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 8:18:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

My online text/data usage report from AT&T DOES have the text messages that were sent and recieved from other iphone users using imessage. I have verified this will Damon an ATT supervisor and an Apple Sr. advisor. Originally the imessage text were not to be seen or logged on the carrier but that did not occur. Howerver, with the new latest update the change was made... I am wanting the change to be returned to orginal set up to where all texts are posted/logged. If you are an iphone/imessage user please check your online usage report prior to the lastest 7 version iphone update. Thanks for your help.

My online text/data usage report from AT&T DOES have the text messages that were sent and recieved from other iphone users using imessage. I have verified this will Damon an ATT supervisor and an Apple Sr. advisor. Originally the imessage text were not to be seen or logged on the carrier but that did not occur. Howerver, with the new latest update the change was made... I am wanting the change to be returned to orginal set up to where all texts are posted/logged. If you are an iphone/imessage user please check your online usage report prior to the lastest 7 version iphone update. Thanks for your help.

5 of 41 (79,358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 11:55:20 AM
(0)
Former Employee

iMessage log wrote:

Sorry, I'm still not believing you. I've looked at pre IOS7 bills and don't see any iMessages and I know both myself and wife iMessage quite regularly. Could you post some evidence? What are you seeing that makes you believe iMessages are being captured on usage reports?

iMessage log wrote:

Sorry, I'm still not believing you. I've looked at pre IOS7 bills and don't see any iMessages and I know both myself and wife iMessage quite regularly. Could you post some evidence? What are you seeing that makes you believe iMessages are being captured on usage reports?

6 of 41 (79,348 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 2:40:56 PM
(1)
Expert

iMessage log wrote:

If the Apple Imessage servers are down, having communication problems, cannot verify the target phone is connected to the Imessage servers or cannot be contact the Apple application will send the message as a SMS text message. Have never seen a Imessage show up on any of the iphones that are on multiple family plans that did not default to being sent as a sms message.

The RFP for the standard SMS text message is set to utilize the voice portion of your cell service, so these show up, the Imessage utilizes data when it sends to another iphone. This is why when a iphone user switches to a non-apple device they have problems recieving SMS message that iphone users send them, the message goes to the Apple servers, the application looks up the target phone number, if it finds it it relays it to the destination that is set on the target account, if the receiving user has not removed thier old device from their setpup profile on the apple website the message will never be passed to the recieving phone. ATT had nothing to do with this, it is the way Apple wrote the Imessage application.

iMessage log wrote:

If the Apple Imessage servers are down, having communication problems, cannot verify the target phone is connected to the Imessage servers or cannot be contact the Apple application will send the message as a SMS text message. Have never seen a Imessage show up on any of the iphones that are on multiple family plans that did not default to being sent as a sms message.

The RFP for the standard SMS text message is set to utilize the voice portion of your cell service, so these show up, the Imessage utilizes data when it sends to another iphone. This is why when a iphone user switches to a non-apple device they have problems recieving SMS message that iphone users send them, the message goes to the Apple servers, the application looks up the target phone number, if it finds it it relays it to the destination that is set on the target account, if the receiving user has not removed thier old device from their setpup profile on the apple website the message will never be passed to the recieving phone. ATT had nothing to do with this, it is the way Apple wrote the Imessage application.

7 of 41 (79,338 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 12:43:54 PM
(1)
Tutor
11/09/2013 06:06PM
Dad
Text/instant messaging0.00
Dad
Chris
11/09/2013 05:07PM
Dad
11/09/2013 05:04PM
Chris
Multimedia messaging0.00

Here is a sample from my pre-ios7 Nov. 2013 bill. Dad and Chris own Iphones and use imessage with me. Hope you can help.

Thanks

Dad
Dad
Chris
Dad
Chris
Multimedia messaging0.00

Here is a sample from my pre-ios7 Nov. 2013 bill. Dad and Chris own Iphones and use imessage with me. Hope you can help.

Thanks

8 of 41 (79,303 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 1:23:35 PM
(0)
Former Employee

iMessage log wrote:
Dad
Dad
Chris
Dad
Chris
Multimedia messaging0.00

Thanks

Sorry, but that is not proof. As Wingrider said, the iPhone message app will send the message as regular SMS if it can't deliver the message thru iMessage. If you or Dad or Chris still have those messages on your phone, you can tell whether it was sent/received via iMessage or via SMS. On the sending side, iMessages are in blue, SMS messages are in green. On the receiving side it is a bit harder to tell but each time a message is received via a different source (iMessage vs SMS), you will see "iMessage" or "Text Message" above the date. If all incoming messages came from the same source, scroll to the top and you should see the source. 

iMessage log wrote:
Dad
Dad
Chris
Dad
Chris
Multimedia messaging0.00

Thanks

Sorry, but that is not proof. As Wingrider said, the iPhone message app will send the message as regular SMS if it can't deliver the message thru iMessage. If you or Dad or Chris still have those messages on your phone, you can tell whether it was sent/received via iMessage or via SMS. On the sending side, iMessages are in blue, SMS messages are in green. On the receiving side it is a bit harder to tell but each time a message is received via a different source (iMessage vs SMS), you will see "iMessage" or "Text Message" above the date. If all incoming messages came from the same source, scroll to the top and you should see the source. 

9 of 41 (79,300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 8:31:41 PM
(0)
Mentor
I agree with sandblaster and others. imessage cannot be on a bill because it's a wifi texting application. If they were 10 yr olds with iPods wold get bills. imessage is no different than textfree or pinger or Skype.
I agree with sandblaster and others. imessage cannot be on a bill because it's a wifi texting application. If they were 10 yr olds with iPods wold get bills. imessage is no different than textfree or pinger or Skype.
~~Sent from my iPhone

10 of 41 (79,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 8:32:41 PM
(0)
Mentor
*if they were 10 year olds with iPods, they would get bills.

(Can't see how to edit on the phone)
*if they were 10 year olds with iPods, they would get bills.

(Can't see how to edit on the phone)
~~Sent from my iPhone

11 of 41 (79,245 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 1:46:58 AM
(0)
Scholar

iMessages are not suppose to show up on your bill. If it does, it means it's being billed as SMS which is a problem with your phone.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]

iMessages are not suppose to show up on your bill. If it does, it means it's being billed as SMS which is a problem with your phone.

12 of 41 (79,232 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2014 8:20:35 AM
(1)
Teacher
Mine always showed until just recently. Seems pretty ironic if you guys are saying it never happened.
Mine always showed until just recently. Seems pretty ironic if you guys are saying it never happened.

13 of 41 (78,581 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2014 9:44:23 AM
(1)
ACE - Master

They are not supposed to show. When you use iMessage, that uses data through Apple's servers which AT&T has no control or knowledge of. 

If they showed on your billed, they were not iMessages but regular texts that went though AT&T's servers.That is the only way they would show on your bills.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.

They are not supposed to show. When you use iMessage, that uses data through Apple's servers which AT&T has no control or knowledge of. 

If they showed on your billed, they were not iMessages but regular texts that went though AT&T's servers.That is the only way they would show on your bills.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

14 of 41 (78,575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2014 9:47:29 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by T84A on Aug 4, 2014 at 9:48:56 AM
Does this also mean if I have a number blocked on my son's phone number, he can still iMessage. If so, what a P O S service ATT has roped us into. I guess this also negates the parental controls as well? Why charge for them then?
Does this also mean if I have a number blocked on my son's phone number, he can still iMessage. If so, what a P O S service ATT has roped us into. I guess this also negates the parental controls as well? Why charge for them then?

[ Edited ]
15 of 41 (78,573 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2014 12:23:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes you can still send texts to a blocked number with iMessage.

This is the reason all my kids dont have crapple devices 

Yes you can still send texts to a blocked number with iMessage.

This is the reason all my kids dont have crapple devices 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

16 of 41 (78,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2014 2:28:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
With the newer AT&T plans including free SMS in the plans, I don't see why so many people are even using iMessage to move the (free) SMS messages over to the (paid) data usage iMessage. You can just turn-off iMessage on the Apple devices, and now all messages are forced through SMS and will show on the cell bill. Yes, it will prevent your kids from communicating with their friends who don't have cell phones and only have the free Apple messaging service, but it also achieves the desired results of seeing all message sending/receiving log on the phone bill.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
With the newer AT&T plans including free SMS in the plans, I don't see why so many people are even using iMessage to move the (free) SMS messages over to the (paid) data usage iMessage. You can just turn-off iMessage on the Apple devices, and now all messages are forced through SMS and will show on the cell bill. Yes, it will prevent your kids from communicating with their friends who don't have cell phones and only have the free Apple messaging service, but it also achieves the desired results of seeing all message sending/receiving log on the phone bill.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

17 of 41 (78,538 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2014 9:34:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

what exactly do imessage text's look like on a bill? 

thank you

what exactly do imessage text's look like on a bill? 

thank you

18 of 41 (73,485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2014 9:50:21 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello @leagurl 

iMessage messages don't show up on the bill. iMessage system uses data and AT&T doesn't track them. If messaging logs are important to you, I recommend turning iMessage feature off.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello @leagurl 

iMessage messages don't show up on the bill. iMessage system uses data and AT&T doesn't track them. If messaging logs are important to you, I recommend turning iMessage feature off.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

19 of 41 (73,400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2014 8:01:08 AM
(0)
Mentor

How does iMessage use Data when it's a Wifi application?  iMessage only uses Data if there is no wifi and it switches over to SMS.    

How does iMessage use Data when it's a Wifi application?  iMessage only uses Data if there is no wifi and it switches over to SMS.    

~~Sent from my iPhone

20 of 41 (72,914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2014 9:20:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
iMessage uses your phone's data connection. That data connection may be cellular data, or it may be wifi. It doesn't matter to the application how the data connection is provided, just that it has a data connection to the internet.

Now, a few facts about iMessage. When an iPhone user enables iMessage, and sends messages to non-iphone customers, or iPhone customers who have not enabled iMessage, those messages "fall back" to send as SMS, so they will appear on the monthly bill. If an iPhone user sends a message to another iPhoen user who has iMessage enabled, but there are connection errors, the message will fall-back to SMS (unless explicitly disabled in the settings). Those messages also appear on the itemized bill showing the phone number the message was sent to/received from. In all of these cases, the mesage bubble on the iPhone should show as green, indicating that the message was sent/received using SMS.

In the "normal" iMessage usage (iPhone to iPhone), the message bubble appears in blue, and the message uses the data connection (wifi, cellular, whatever). For these messages, the AT&T bill does not itemize the messages and does not list the remote phone number (because not all remote devices are phones so they may not have a phone number). This usage will be grouped into the summarized data usage (that is rolled-up into 3 hour increments for Mobile Share users). AT&T has no way of knowing who the remote message was sent to/from so they can't itemize it on your bill, nor can they offer any kind of filtering of that usage, other than disabling all cellular data, because to AT&T that's all it is.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

iMessage uses your phone's data connection. That data connection may be cellular data, or it may be wifi. It doesn't matter to the application how the data connection is provided, just that it has a data connection to the internet.

Now, a few facts about iMessage. When an iPhone user enables iMessage, and sends messages to non-iphone customers, or iPhone customers who have not enabled iMessage, those messages "fall back" to send as SMS, so they will appear on the monthly bill. If an iPhone user sends a message to another iPhoen user who has iMessage enabled, but there are connection errors, the message will fall-back to SMS (unless explicitly disabled in the settings). Those messages also appear on the itemized bill showing the phone number the message was sent to/received from. In all of these cases, the mesage bubble on the iPhone should show as green, indicating that the message was sent/received using SMS.

In the "normal" iMessage usage (iPhone to iPhone), the message bubble appears in blue, and the message uses the data connection (wifi, cellular, whatever). For these messages, the AT&T bill does not itemize the messages and does not list the remote phone number (because not all remote devices are phones so they may not have a phone number). This usage will be grouped into the summarized data usage (that is rolled-up into 3 hour increments for Mobile Share users). AT&T has no way of knowing who the remote message was sent to/from so they can't itemize it on your bill, nor can they offer any kind of filtering of that usage, other than disabling all cellular data, because to AT&T that's all it is.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

21 of 41 (72,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2014 8:51:07 AM
(0)
Former Employee

FallenAnjel wrote:

iMessage is not just a wifi application, it works over wifi or cellular data. Anytime an iMessage is sent or received over cellular data, it will use your cellular data. In cases where iMessage switches to SMS, it does not use cellular data since SMS is sent over the cellular voice network.

FallenAnjel wrote:

iMessage is not just a wifi application, it works over wifi or cellular data. Anytime an iMessage is sent or received over cellular data, it will use your cellular data. In cases where iMessage switches to SMS, it does not use cellular data since SMS is sent over the cellular voice network.

22 of 41 (72,532 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2015 12:34:00 AM
(1)
Tutor

same here mine always showed up too.. were just crazy i guess

23 of 41 (56,970 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2015 12:34:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

T84A wrote:

T84A wrote:

24 of 41 (56,969 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2015 12:37:05 AM
(1)
Tutor

OK I agree all of my phone numbers/calls texts etc showed up on usage reprot and now they do not! Sooooooooooooooo I agree that something has changed> obviously it is a at&t issue! 

OK I agree all of my phone numbers/calls texts etc showed up on usage reprot and now they do not! Sooooooooooooooo I agree that something has changed> obviously it is a at&t issue! 

25 of 41 (56,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2015 12:44:38 AM
(0)
Tutor

so if you want your texts and phone number to show up on your bill you have to enable i message? I am confused

so if you want your texts and phone number to show up on your bill you have to enable i message? I am confused

26 of 41 (56,959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2015 2:09:08 PM
(0)
Contributor
If it's the same problem I had, I couldn't see the numbers in the online version of the bill (for certain texts). I compared to my paper bill and discovered those were messages to someone using their iPad and an email address to text (they don't have a smartphone). The paper bill had their email address in place of the phone number c
If it's the same problem I had, I couldn't see the numbers in the online version of the bill (for certain texts). I compared to my paper bill and discovered those were messages to someone using their iPad and an email address to text (they don't have a smartphone). The paper bill had their email address in place of the phone number c

27 of 41 (55,456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2015 8:34:49 AM
(0)
Contributor
I would like you to clarify a few things. I strongly believe this is solely on AT&T. I'm not going to even get into the wifi or different settings with the phone. Let's just simply stick with two people using iPhones and sending iMessages. Neither phone is within wifi range which means the are using cellular data to send iMessages.

First thing I would like to point out, if using cellular data to send and receive, how can you say iMessages don't use AT&T servers? Do you honestly believe Apple is giving everyone free data? Without going any further into that I will give you another way to look at it. Is everyone you send iMessages to using AT&T service? I have a few contacts that use different provider and those numbers show on my bill. Just like the picture iMessage log shared.

I do have another question if anyone could help.

On about the 8th page of my bill it nows says REPRINT in bold letters. Again, I have never noticed until I noticed the missing messages that used to be on the bills.
I would like you to clarify a few things. I strongly believe this is solely on AT&T. I'm not going to even get into the wifi or different settings with the phone. Let's just simply stick with two people using iPhones and sending iMessages. Neither phone is within wifi range which means the are using cellular data to send iMessages.

First thing I would like to point out, if using cellular data to send and receive, how can you say iMessages don't use AT&T servers? Do you honestly believe Apple is giving everyone free data? Without going any further into that I will give you another way to look at it. Is everyone you send iMessages to using AT&T service? I have a few contacts that use different provider and those numbers show on my bill. Just like the picture iMessage log shared.

I do have another question if anyone could help.

On about the 8th page of my bill it nows says REPRINT in bold letters. Again, I have never noticed until I noticed the missing messages that used to be on the bills.

28 of 41 (48,285 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2015 9:21:27 AM
(1)
ACE - Expert
http://www.apple.com/ios/messages/

The above link is the full scoop on iMessage with iOS 8. If you read all, including the fine print about sending as SMS and incurring carrier charges, it may clear up why iMessage may and may not, show up in carrier records.

iMessages sent through Apple servers, via Apple ID can't possibly show on carrier text records.

The entire purpose of iMessage was to circumvent the cellular system to text between all apple devices*, without impacting limited texting plans. (*iphone, iPod touch, iPad, iMac computers)
In the past 4 years, text plans have become unlimited for many people.
However, for those with home wifi and spotty cell coverage, iMessage is still available.

iMessages, sent in blue bubbles, do not use carrier text service and make very little impact on data services Text messages use an average of 1 KB per message in data service. If you have a kid who sends iMessage a lot, and averages 3,000 texts a month, that adds up to a measly 3 MBs of data. That is assuming all iMessages are sent via mobile data, which is probably not the case.

We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information
http://www.apple.com/ios/messages/

The above link is the full scoop on iMessage with iOS 8. If you read all, including the fine print about sending as SMS and incurring carrier charges, it may clear up why iMessage may and may not, show up in carrier records.

iMessages sent through Apple servers, via Apple ID can't possibly show on carrier text records.

The entire purpose of iMessage was to circumvent the cellular system to text between all apple devices*, without impacting limited texting plans. (*iphone, iPod touch, iPad, iMac computers)
In the past 4 years, text plans have become unlimited for many people.
However, for those with home wifi and spotty cell coverage, iMessage is still available.

iMessages, sent in blue bubbles, do not use carrier text service and make very little impact on data services Text messages use an average of 1 KB per message in data service. If you have a kid who sends iMessage a lot, and averages 3,000 texts a month, that adds up to a measly 3 MBs of data. That is assuming all iMessages are sent via mobile data, which is probably not the case.

We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information
We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information.

29 of 41 (48,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2015 9:58:04 AM
(0)
Former Employee

Houdini09 wrote:
First thing I would like to point out, if using cellular data to send and receive, how can you say iMessages don't use AT&T servers? Do you honestly believe Apple is giving everyone free data? .

IMessages over the cellular data network do not touch any AT&T servers. They simply go over the AT&T wireless network to get to Apple's iMessage servers. So to AT&T, it is simply a data transfer the same as if you are doing web browsing or Facebook or any other data app while on cellular data. The only thing ATT is allowed to do with data is count how much is being used for billing.

Houdini09 wrote:
First thing I would like to point out, if using cellular data to send and receive, how can you say iMessages don't use AT&T servers? Do you honestly believe Apple is giving everyone free data? .

IMessages over the cellular data network do not touch any AT&T servers. They simply go over the AT&T wireless network to get to Apple's iMessage servers. So to AT&T, it is simply a data transfer the same as if you are doing web browsing or Facebook or any other data app while on cellular data. The only thing ATT is allowed to do with data is count how much is being used for billing.

30 of 41 (48,258 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments