Need your talk or text logs?
sankarmukh's profile

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Sunday, March 20th, 2016 2:05 PM

Year abroad in England wireless plan question

I have an iPhone 6s with mobile next plans. My son is going to study in England for a year. The passport plan which I have used in other occassions don't seem to fit our purpose.
Their plan provides:

Passport

$30.00/mo.

Includes unlimited messages sent, 120MB cellular data (overage: $0.25 per MB), and $1 per-minute calling. Package applies per device and auto-renews monthly, 2-mo. minimum required.

He is going to be using the phone for texting and talking in UK. To talk to us, he can use skype, facetime and other messaging programs like WhatsApp.

Does the above plan include unlimited messages within UK ?  If not, it is fairly useless.

Also, 120 mb is ridiculously small even if he uses mostly local wi-fi. I remember paying an ungodly amount to ATT years ago for overage use in Toronto.

Is the best bet to buy an unlocked phone and the add a sim card in UK? 

If so, what do I do with my unused 6s phone for a year? Do ATT have a coice for suspending a phone? 

Sorry for all these questions. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Sankar

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @sankarmukh!

Thanks for reaching out to the Community Forums!

The Passport plans will indeed include unlimited messaging within the UK. For lower per-minute calling rates and a higher allotment of data, you might be interested in the Passport Silver or Gold plan, which can be found at att.com/passport.

If you decide to use a UK carrier instead, you can pay off his Next installment plan to have the device unlocked, which will allow him to use a UK SIM card. Learn more about paying off an AT&T Next installment agreement here, and submitting an unlock request here.

Depending on account eligibility, you may qualify for 180 days of reduced-rate suspension for $10/month for his line. If so, service will automatically resume after 180 days, and the full monthly amount will be due.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns and we’ll be happy to help!
-Spencer O AT&T Social Media Manager

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

8 years ago

The silver plans are too expensive. Can I buy a gophone from ATT and activate with a UK sim card?
Will I still get a reduced rate suspension if I qualify?

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

Why not just wait to buy a cheap local phone once you get there? You don't have to buy one before you go.

Yes, you can still suspend the ATT service, but only for the 180 as stated.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

8 years ago

Get an unlocked phone and get local pay as you go service in UK.
Most Paygo service in UK started from GBP 10 per month
You got SMS,local calls mins  and 500 MB data .Even free data & mins everytime you top up.

For LD overseas call, with some network,you can get an add on for GBP 5,it will get you about 40 mins.talk back to USA & Canada.

Check with their local networks,lots to choose from.Like Vodafone,EE, 3UK ....etc etc even their supermarket got their own  mobile phone network brand .

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.