For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
gmedia's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, October 23rd, 2017 7:11 PM

With the new "Unlimited" plans do dedicated mobile hotspots only get and allowcation of 10GB of data

My wife and I are on the 25GB shared plan. My wife and I probably use around 4-6GB of data each on our cell phones, and then I have a mobile hotspot as well. I am still trying to figure out what in the world happened, but our hotspot somehow garnered over 20GB this month, and we still have 20 days left. I'm looking at our options, as we are throttled 24/7 on all three devices, and it is nearly unusable unless we are connected to a local WIFI. I'm not sure about all of these people who go over, but never get throttled. I knew the very second and every second after that.

So there is no way to PAY and add an extra 10GB of high speed data until the end of our pay cycle. We are stuck at dial-up speeds until next cycle. I looked at going to the "Unlimited" plan, but in our case, it does not seem like a good deal. We would lose our $18/month company discount, and we would only be allowed 10GB on our dedicated mobile hotspot as opposed to any of the available 25GB. Is this all true? No company discount and only 10GB before being throttled?

Thanks!!

Chris

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Losing the company discount, yes that is true. The mobile hotspot being limited to 10GB, no that is not true. The 10GB hotspot limit is for using the hotspot feature of your phone. A hotspot device would not have data speeds slowed until hitting 22GB. However, they are shortly going to exclude hotspot devices from the unlimited plan. If you are thinking of switching, you should do it before that happens as existing hotspot devices will be grandfathered.  As for your current plan, no you can’t just buy 10 more GB but you can switch to the next higher level of data and backdate that change to the beginning of your bill cycle to get more data. Then just change back to 25GB on the next bill cycle.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

That's helpful! Thanks!

I may be missing something though, as there is no greater plan than 25GB that I can see. There is currently 1, 3, 6, 10, 16, Unlimited Choice, and Unlimited.

Also, they do not mention what you said about hotspots at all as far as I can see. Here is a direct quote, with no asterisk: "--Unlimited high-speed data (after 22GB, speeds may slow) --10GB mobile hotspot data per device (after 10GB, hotspot speed limited to max of 128Kbps)". I cannot imagine that to mean that you get 22GB on your mobile hotspot and then 10GB after that to use for a mobile hotspot, like smartphones.

The biggest downside is that it is $25 more than what we're paying now since there is no discount.

Chris

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

I hadn't looked at the MSA plans for awhile, they used to have levels higher than 25GB, I guess they are gone now. I guess they expect you to go to unlimited if you need more data. As for the 10GB hotspot/tethering limit, that is not additional to the 22GB. Remember, the 22GB threshold is where data might be slowed if network congestion requires it while the 10GB tethering/hotspot limit is supposed to be a hard limit. However, that only applies to the hotspot function of your phone, not a hotspot device. From the Unlimited Plus terms and conditions: "Tethering & Mobile Hotspot: Includes up to 10GB per line per month. After 10GB, tethering speed will be slowed to a max of 128Kbps for the rest of the bill cycle (except for these products: Connected Cars, Hot Spots, and Wireless Home Phone and Internet)"

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

I’m only going to throw in that the ability to move to unlimited with a mobile hotspot is going to end on 12/5 as far as other members have posted.  ATT is going to grandfather those devices, but won’t allow new additions.  

I will only suggest you do the math to see if it’s worth it to you, you can actually do it on the My ATT app by selecting “change plan” and it will show your options.   

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Oh I see 🙂  They are distinguishing "Mobile Hotspot" from a "Hot Spot" that is mobile. He, he. Goodness!

Ok. I'll have to decide for sure. It is weird that there is no way to get more than 22GB of guaranteed high speed data unless you use multiple devices.

Thank you for all of your help!

Sincerely,

Chris

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

@gmedia  Well, maybe.  We have other users who regularly exceed the 22 gig threshold with out a slow down.  Some report into the 100’s of gigs.  That is probably why ATT is taking away the ability to add these device to unlimited plans.  

There has been concern over the announcement and assurances have been less than comforting.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.